PSR Keyboards (11 Boards) > PSR-E Series

On Bass Chords???

(1/3) > >>

vbdx66:
Hi everyone,

I have begun trying out some features of the PSR E463 and, **** it, apparently it hasn’t the On Bass chord recognition mode.

Of course the E series never had proper On Bass chord recognition, but there was a workaround in that if you played a C chord with four notes with the bass repeated at the octave, for example G C E G, you would then get a C/G chord instead of a regukar C chord in root position.

Apparently the E463 doesn’t have this feature so now I am wondering whether the older models had it or not?

I think that I was able to play C/G chords on my old E433, but now I am starting to have doubts... Could anybody with a PSR E433 check this, please?

If the older E 4xx models could understand chords spelled G C E G but the E463 can’t, now this is a serious flaw...  :o

Regards,

Vinciane

SeaGtGruff:
I'm not aware of anything like that on the PSR-E models.

vbdx66:
Indeed probably not. I think I am confusing with the DGX series, for which you can use this neat trick. Too bad for « Whiter Shade of Pale »...

Regards,

Vinciane

AnupamEnosh:
If I am getting it, you are talking about Chords getting detected and displayed on screen, without the styles being played in background.

vbdx66:
Hello Anupam,

Not quite. I am speaking about the way a keyboard tracks the chord played with your left hand to generate the auto-accompaniment.

On higher-end keyboards such as the Genos, Tyros or PSR S, you can choose a chord detection mode where the keyboard recognises in which inversion you are playing a chord. If you select this mode, the keyboard will then be able to make a difference between a C chord spelled C E G, a C/E chord spelled E G C and a C/G chord spelled G C E.

Lower-end keyboards can’t make a difference between these chords and will always play them C E G, thus with C on the bass, even when you play them in various inversions.

On some keyboards, there was a way to “cheat” to play these chords in the correct inversion: if you played the chord with a note repeated at the octave, this repeated note would then be used as the bass note of the chord.
For instance, if you wanted to have a C/G chord, you could play your chord spelled G C E G, thus with the G repeated at the octave, and the keyboard would correctly use G as the bass note instead of the root note C. This was very handy to play songs such as a Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum, where the chords in the introduction have other notes than the root note as the bass note.

Unfortunately the PSR E463 doesn’t have this “cheat mode” to play inverted chords. My DGX650 can do that, and I thought that the PSR E433 could do it as well, but I am probably mistaken... :o

Regards,

Vinciane

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version