Author Topic: Multi finger chords  (Read 10380 times)

kmspecialties

Multi finger chords
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:52:29 PM »
If I play g note with black and white key to left I get gm7. If I play real gm7 chord on left hand it sound different almost like an inversion, is there something wrong with my hearing!
Bob

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Multi finger chords
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:04:09 AM »
If I play g note with black and white key to left I get gm7. If I play real gm7 chord on left hand it sound different almost like an inversion, is there something wrong with my hearing!
Bob

What Fingering Mode are you using?

Specifically, which keys are you playing to the left if G?

Of course, the other way us to look at the main screen. It will tell you what chord is being played.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

kmspecialties

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 12:30:11 AM »
Hi Fred
I am using multi finger. When I plat g B.B. and f I get gm7 on main screen when I play real 4 note gm7 I get gm7 on main screen-  but the sound different
Bob

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 02:46:19 AM »
Hi Bob,

I always prefer using "Fingered on Bass" mode on Yamaha arrangers, or "Bass Inversion" mode on Korg arrangers, which always gives consistent results.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 05:03:08 AM »
Hi Fred
I am using multi finger. When I plat g B.B. and f I get gm7 on main screen when I play real 4 note gm7 I get gm7 on main screen-  but the sound different
Bob

Unfortunately, Bob, your posts are difficult to understand. What do you mean by "plat g B.B. and f"?

Regardless, I have tried as many ways as I can think of to play Gm7 on the keyboard. Whenever I see Gm7 on the display, regardless of the fingering, the chord I hear sounds the same.

So I can't help you. Either you're hearing something that's not there, or there's a bug in your keyboard.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 02:24:10 PM »
Fred, I think he means "I played the notes G, B flat, and F." If this is so, he's missing the D, which is the fifth. The chord will still show as a G-7, but the bass won't parse the root and five. Is this right? With an altered bass line, the chord will sound different.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 04:43:44 PM »
Fred, I think he means "I played the notes G, B flat, and F." If this is so, he's missing the D, which is the fifth. The chord will still show as a G-7, but the bass won't parse the root and five. Is this right? With an altered bass line, the chord will sound different.

When I play G plus Bb and F to the left of G, as Bob stated in his original message, in multi-finger mode, the keyboard displays Bb6. So that's not the right combination.

When I play G plus Bb and F to the right of G, I see Gm7 displayed on the screen, but I still don't hear any difference between this and any other Gm7 combination.

Perhaps the confusion comes from the difference between single-fingered mode, and multi-finger. In single-finger mode, playing a any black key below the root will generate a minor chord, and any black key plus any white key will generate a m7 chord. In multi-finger mode, it has to be the adjacent black and/or white key.

But it's a shame we have to spend so much time guessing at what Bob means, when this easily could have been cleared up with a clearer message.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

kmspecialties

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »
I apologize to all of you when I play g note with f# and f to the left of g it showed up as gm7
When I play regular full chord gm7 it shows up as Gm7 but it sounds different i am using multi finger setting
Sorry for wrong info
Bob

Offline valimaties

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 06:13:14 PM »
Multi-Finger is combination between Single Finger and Fingered. When you take more than 2 keys, and the keys are not successive (F,F#,G = Gm7 in Multi Finger) the keyboard will use Fingered mode. You cannot take Gm7 as G-Bb-F, in any of the modes. You need fifth to be taken, so you need a D right there...
I personally use AI Fingered, because combines Fingered mode with Fingered on bass. Ie: If I take a D1-G1 notes it will play G maj  and with a D in bass. If I want a Gmin with D in Bass I will have to take D1-G1-Bb1-D2. The first note in chord will be the trigger for the bass note. :)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 06:50:35 PM »
try switching to AI Fingered mode . . . .

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

kmspecialties

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 07:55:44 PM »
Not sure I understand but will try thank you

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 09:05:30 PM »
Bob, am I missing something here? There is no F# in a Gm7 chord. Doing so produces a GmMaj7 (F# on the top). We'll get you sorted out :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 11:29:05 PM »
Bob, am I missing something here? There is no F# in a Gm7 chord. Doing so produces a GmMaj7 (F# on the top). We'll get you sorted out :).

In multi-finger mode, you can produce Gm7 with F-Gb-G (3 adjacent keys).

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 11:31:20 PM »
try switching to AI Fingered mode . . . .

And how would that solve the problem? If AI Fingered decides the chord is Gm7, it will sound the same as any other way of generating a Gm7 chord.

I agree it's a lot easier to produce slash chords with AI Fingered, but for a basic Gm7 chord, it won't change how it sounds from Fingered, or Multi-fingered or any other mode.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline valimaties

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 01:10:10 AM »
Please make a short video or mp3 and show us what you get on both chords types... It's easier for us to see or hear 🙂

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 02:07:10 PM »
Fred, That explains the odd note in the chord: multi-fingered. Thanks.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 05:07:49 AM »
I apologize to all of you when I play g note with f# and f to the left of g it showed up as gm7
When I play regular full chord gm7 it shows up as Gm7 but it sounds different i am using multi finger setting
Could you tell us exactly which keys you press in both methods, to produce a Gm7 chord?
I tried it on my T5, and Gm7 always sounds the same, no matter which way I produce it.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »
I play Gm7 as G Bb D F. Have just tried both versions using a style and there is no difference. If you are not using a style and play F F# G you will hear the G note being played at a higher octave and that is the way it works.

kmspecialties

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 01:56:47 AM »
Hi Eileen,
You hit the nail on the head. Play gm7 -g Bb d and f I get a fuller sound. Playing f f# g it is thinner with the g on top thank you for solving my problem

Thank you
Bob

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 02:27:23 AM »
Hi Eileen,
You hit the nail on the head. Play gm7 -g Bb d and f I get a fuller sound. Playing f f# g it is thinner with the g on top thank you for solving my problem

I’m glad you solved your problem, but I’m with Eileen — I hear no difference in the style using either method.

I suspect what’s happening is you have a left voice on. The voice sounds good when you play the full chord, but of course, sounds awful with the F-Gb-G shortcut.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ