Author Topic: Who is gigging with Genos?  (Read 12028 times)

Offline Yinon

Who is gigging with Genos?
« on: September 30, 2018, 09:51:45 PM »
Hi All,

I'm searching YouTube trying to find some videos form live gigs of folks here who use Genos on stage.
Unfortunately - there is not much. All I get are the demos, demos, demos ...
Is anyone here gigging with Genos?

If so, can you please share your videos?

I'm very interested to see how it comes out in a pop/rock and in a PA system.
Does it have the punch required to make people dance?

Thanks for sharing.

gdc

Re: Who is gigging with Genos?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 11:01:19 PM »
Sorry I don't have a video, but I use my Genos to gig out. Sounds great through my Yamaha Stagepas 500 and a couple of Roland monitors. Fabulous keyboard and I'm coming from almost all of the Tyros series over the years. The Genos is much easier to set up for gigs with the touchscreen. I've had lots of people up dancing.
Hope this helps.
Graeme

Offline Yinon

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 01:55:06 AM »
Thanks Graeme.

Small favor,
Next time you are out on a gig, can you record for few min? Even a cell phone camera will be great.

If you can ... it will be great!

Thanks.

Roland

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »
And what exactly should a YouTube video show you in terms of the sound?  ::)  The Genos already has a clear nice and punchy sound - but it is what comes AFTER the line-outs that defines the bass, volume and overall sound picture on a gig. So it's your PA system and speakers you have to worry about and not the Genos.

Offline manuel

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 10:03:55 PM »
I do play in many senior dances in the Phoenix Metro area all year around.
I use the Genos and most of the time 2 Maui LD 5 systems, for larger venues, I use the Bose F1 812s and the F1 Subs.

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline Yinon

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 01:53:34 AM »
And what exactly should a YouTube video show you in terms of the sound?  ::)  The Genos already has a clear nice and punchy sound - but it is what comes AFTER the line-outs that defines the bass, volume and overall sound picture on a gig. So it's your PA system and speakers you have to worry about and not the Genos.

Roland - it will give me a clue of which audiance age we are talking about, how do they respond to the keyboard and performance and mostly if Genos can be used and in a rock/pop/dance arranger setup.

No one thinks it's strange we do not have Genos in YouTube in live gigs?

Search for Ketron SD1 + gig or Pa4x + gig in YouTube and there are pelnty results to browse through ...

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »
I agree. What exactly are you hoping to achieve with YouTube videos of the Genos played live? As for the sound, it would be like jamming an elephant through a Cheerio. Cell phone videos compress the heck out of sound, as does YouTube. What you will see is the number of people up dancing and the applause etc…For that we can relay the information from experience.

I just played a tribute show consisting of songs from Neil Diamond, Ella Fitzgerald, Carol King, and Roy Orbison. (I know, a weird mix.) The comments on the performance and Genos sounds were amazing. The show was presented for two sellout crowds of 100 people each. I played through two Bose Compacts. There were two lead singers (male and female) and myself on harmonies with the vocal harmonizer at times. Great show! People can’t wait until spring for our next show. Rumor has it that a lady recorded the afternoon show on her cell phone, which is illegal. I would love one copy just for archiving and personal critique, which is legal. It would be nice to hear where I shined and where I made dumb errors. Even if I had a copy, posting to YouTube would get me in hot water with the theater. Of course, you need to get caught first :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline Yinon

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 10:56:51 PM »
I agree. What exactly are you hoping to achieve with YouTube videos of the Genos played live? As for the sound, it would be like jamming an elephant through a Cheerio. Cell phone videos compress the heck out of sound, as does YouTube. What you will see is the number of people up dancing and the applause etc…For that we can relay the information from experience.

I just played a tribute show consisting of songs from Neil Diamond, Ella Fitzgerald, Carol King, and Roy Orbison. (I know, a weird mix.) The comments on the performance and Genos sounds were amazing. The show was presented for two sellout crowds of 100 people each. I played through two Bose Compacts. There were two lead singers (male and female) and myself on harmonies with the vocal harmonizer at times. Great show! People can’t wait until spring for our next show. Rumor has it that a lady recorded the afternoon show on her cell phone, which is illegal. I would love one copy just for archiving and personal critique, which is legal. It would be nice to hear where I shined and where I made dumb errors. Even if I had a copy, posting to YouTube would get me in hot water with the theater. Of course, you need to get caught first :).

Hi Lee,

Thanks for responding. I completely understand why a Theater show should not be recorded.

I'm looking for folks who have their gig in a bar/event performing covers for pop/rock 80's/90's Dance.
A wedding cover band perhaps??? (of course the smaller 1-2 men band).

I'm aware that a cellphone mic tends to tweak the sound and reduce quality. Not looking for and this to be a sound quality test.
Just very curious to how people are using it?

When I first posted, I was sure I will get plenty of examples. I must admit I'm a little supersized.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 01:09:26 AM »
supersized
I love it :)!

I get you now, Yinon. Perhaps in time someone will post a few videos. I must admit, it would be interesting to see how gigging Genos users are presenting their tunes. The sound quality is secondary to that. Best...

- Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 05:22:32 AM »
use the Bose F1 812s and the F1 Subs.

I just got the complete Bose F1 system for my Genos. ROCK YOUR FACE OFF! :)
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 01:31:40 PM »
The Bose F1 looks amazing and probably sounds the same. Problem: they cost a fortune. What does the Genos pianos and other voice sound like in mono?

Offline Yinon

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »
I just got the complete Bose F1 system for my Genos. ROCK YOUR FACE OFF! :)

Hello Mr Biggs!
Don't be a tease .. :-)

Since you have a YouTube Channel, a demo of your system will be great!

Looking forward to hearing the F1 -Genos combo.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 10:22:32 PM »
The Bose F1 looks amazing and probably sounds the same. Problem: they cost a fortune. What does the Genos pianos and other voice sound like in mono?

Good things come to those who spend. :)

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 10:24:14 PM »
Since you have a YouTube Channel, a demo of your system will be great!

Unfortunately, there's nothing you could enjo, learn, or appreciate about the sound via a video. You could see how good they LOOK though. :)

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 03:07:16 AM »
And there it is: 
Check it out....
 8)

Great stuff Yinon! It wasn't that long ago you couldn't have even conceived of doing this type of gig with an arranger.

Offline Yinon

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 05:40:45 AM »
Your Welcome ....

I'm hopping that with this we can all see the value of viewing the Genos at work.
Please video your gigs ....

If you find more example - please do share.

johnnyb

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »
Hello Everybody ,

I have a genos and the same PA system ( Bose ) as the act in the youtube videos.
How exactly do you setup the compressor and EQ on the Genos for use with the Bose ??
I'm sorry for asking but while I can play keyboards I'm not great at setting up sound and I really want to enjoy playing the Genos live.  :-\

Thanks for all your help

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 02:05:02 PM »
Hello,

I play in a Pink Floyd band sometimes...
Check the other topic (with videos):

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,49454.0.html

Regards,
Pedro

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 02:14:17 PM »
Answering the "title question" of this topic - I'm another who gigs with the Genos.  I do about 4-6 gigs a month (I work full time so music is an "on the side" activity for me).  I do maybe ~40% solo gigs, ~50% duo gigs and ~10% trio gigs.  I also jam frequently with the guys that made up our 5pc band from years ago, but that "full band" only does 1 or 2 gigs a year (due to people's schedules).  I have rarely captured videos of my gigs, just too much else to do at an event to also try to get good video with good sound.  I can try to sometime though. 

As others have said, the PA system is a big part of the sound you'll get.  I never have trouble getting sound that people will readily dance to (depending on the type of event) ... just played at a "55+" community last weekend, and ~200 people were dancing and partying and seemed to love the music (duo)!  For that gig, we mostly played music from 1950s, 1960s, 1970s.  Maybe a few 1980s.

The Genos (and Tyros before it) makes for a great gigging (and jam session) keyboard, as it has everything I can think of to do solo gigs up to "full band" gigs.  I'm very happy with the Genos as a gig keyboard.  Adding in some good-sounding PA gear, unrealBook on an iPad, BT pedal to turn pages by foot, wireless MIDI to recall Registrations automatically, use of multiple iPads sync'd together for song charts for band members, etc., and the setup works real well.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:18:32 PM by jimlaing »
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

The following users thanked this post: jerryghr

Offline Yinon

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 01:49:07 PM »

Thanks Jim!

Thanks for detailed answer.
Few months gigging with Genos and I agree with every category you mentioned.
I too work with Genos in a band, solo and duo acts.

One thing I think worth mentioning is that there aren't too many videos on YouTube for folks who gig with Genos.
(There are many of folks who gig with Korg Pa3X/Pa4X)

I will start uploading some of mine. I hope other will do the same.

The more we grow our gigging community the better we can influence Yamaha with our design ideas.
(For example - replacing the location of the 4 pads with the 4 STS buttons. I find it challenging to get to the pads started and stopped as my right hand should be on the keyboard most of the time ...)

Thanks,
-Yinon.

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 02:35:50 PM »
Hi,
i play alone, as Duo with Girlsinger, Trio and Quartett approx. 4 Gigs in Month  with Genos. Because I play often in different Setups, i work of the Stage only with Midifiles. With Styles i cannot get the original Sound of the Songs. I play with a HK Max Audio PA System, a Yamaha 01V Mixer, 2 x db Monitorboxes, Shure beta 58 Mike.. LED Light.
I haven`t Movies of my Performance because it is very difficult to get a good Sound in this Movies.

Siggi
Germany

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 10:38:59 PM »

.... 4 Gigs per month  with Genos
.....I work on the Stage only with Midifiles
.....With Styles i cannot get the original Sound of the Songs
.....I haven`t  got any videos of my performances because it is very difficult to get a good sound

Siggi
Germany

Dear Siggy, I admire you for gigging once a week.  Being an amateur I  never did or even wanted to do that.  I absolutely agree with you, if you want to emulate  a very well known tune  with a well known arrangement with tempo changes,  for instance Sinatra's New York New York doing so using styles is very challenging. But must we do that when the majority of the audience to-day has never heard the out-of-this-world arrangements of a Nelson Riddle ?

I also frequently use the fantastic  YAMAHA midi files  as backing,  playing the melody myself using a breath controller to make trumpets, saxes, and flutes sound like they should.  Of course only  max 10 % of the audience notices.  So it is more for me , an ex Selmer tenorsax player than for the audience.
The same goes for  the very good  - comparable to the best dedicated units -  vocal harmonizer on the Genos that I use extensively.
having a Digitech Studio Vocalist on another mic. People may notice "you have a nice voice", but few can hear it is a 4 part harmony; even when I played in Germany in spite of the the saying "Two Enlishmen play golf, two Germans found a Gesangverein."

I am amazed the quality of sound does not seem to matter anymore. Our ears have gotten so used to MP3, a compression  that is OK only for those who listen to music an a cell phone or tablet.
But all this may be true just for Finland, Sweden and Germany. Posters on this site claim their audience can even with the typical back ground noise of  80 dB  (I had a gig lat saturday and my professional dB meter indicated it was 85 dB) hear how much better the Genos sounds than the Tyros they used to play  ;D

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 12:30:16 PM »
I had a gig last Saturday and my professional dB meter indicated it was 85 dB
Good point about the ambient noise, Kaarlo ;). I find most venues are so noisy that all the nice subtleties that are presented by the Genos, go right out the window and are never heard. I honestly believe that is why a lot of players say that it makes no difference to the audience whether you play a PSR740 or Genos.

Where it does count is in a concert venue. I play about five concerts a year where people sit and just listen to your show without making a peep. It's at those shows where people come up at the end and say, "That is an amazing sounding keyboard and you play it so well!" Of course, when the venue is dead quiet, you can't make any mistakes! We just can't win :)!!

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 04:52:11 PM »
... I find most venues are so noisy that all the nice subtleties that are presented by the Genos, go right out the window and are never heard....

...Where it does count is in a concert venue. I play about five concerts a year where people sit and just listen ....

Lucky you Lee, and hats off !   I Never was that accomplished.  One reason more to thank you for helping me prove my Genos had a defective memory. You really put a lot of your time into that. Not forgotten  :) . Let us be in contact when we have digested 1.4.

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 05:49:41 PM »
Once again, very glad to help, Kaarlos. Agreed - we'll compare notes after the 1.4 release. On the subject of gigs, I do about 50 plus per year. It's those five gigs that require strict attention to detail :). Stay well...