Author Topic: SETTING UP OF MFC10 TO GENOS  (Read 20064 times)

Offline dawn68

SETTING UP OF MFC10 TO GENOS
« on: September 28, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »
Hi, I thought I had asked this on this forum but don't see it anywhere so will try again, please can anybody tell me how to connect my mfc10 to the genos, have managed to follow an instruction by Paul & have ending 1 & 2 on switch 6 & 7 & Break on switch 2 but this was because the c32  c33 & c34 were given & there are no numbers to follow for Rotary on/off, registration+, sustain & Style stop/start so maybe if I had these numbers I could do it myself. Also when would you use the FC edit button on the mfc10?  Hoping someone can help.

Offline soryt

Re: SETTING UP OF MFC10 TO GENOS
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »
I made some pictures of the Midi /MFC settings from the Tyros 5 screen and made the adjustments over in the Genos .
It is still a big "Shame" Yamaha didnt make a dedicated MFC 10 screen like there is on the Tyros series , there isnt a alternative for the MFC10
so why they do this isnt realy clear .

Soneg  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline soryt

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
Here some screen captures with my MFC10 settings,

Soneg  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

The following users thanked this post: LarsMoss

Offline dawn68

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 02:45:31 PM »
Many thanks for taking the time to show these captures but I already have them & have managed to use 33 & 34 for end 1 & end 2 also 32 for Break & 31 for Fill , this was following a thread by Paul but now I cannot seem to make any others do as I want.

Offline Bob90

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 08:18:34 PM »
As a test I programed the sustain, witch you want to use, on a Food switch of my MFC10 and it is working. I use midi channel 16.
My MFC10 is sending the notes behind the slash. Example CC#32/E1 the E1 note he send has a value of 40.

Press the Function switch, light is on.
Press the Food switch you want to use.
Press memory edit.
Select with the switches DEC/NO and INC/YES  '9F'   F is hex value of 16 (midi channel 16) It can be 90 to 9F, channel 1 to 16.
Press memory edit.
Chance the value with the switches DEC/NO and INC/YES to 40 (note E1).
Press Write/exit.
Press INC/YES.
Now the Food switch you selected is sending the note E1, the function in CC#32/E1 will selected. When you use this Food switch the function light must be on.

CC#31 note value is 39, CC#33 note value is 41, CC#34 note value is 42.
I hope this will help.

Regards Bob

Offline dawn68

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 09:40:10 PM »
Thanks for this Bob just come in will try tomorrow & keep you posted, Cheers

Offline dawn68

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 07:52:22 AM »
Hi Bob, Before I try your instructions can you explain to me please what the first two lines mean as I don't understand what CC#32/E1 etc means & the value 40-what has that to do with it? Is there a chart I can use? Also what is hex value & the rest of that sentence 90 to 9F-I'm sorry to be a nuisance I had none of this to contend with when I added the MFC10 to my tyros keyboards. Many thanks.

Offline dawn68

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 08:54:57 AM »
Hi Bob, Have tried again exactly as you instructed, usedCC30/D1 & when finished I saved it overwriting my last save with the buttons that work. This is unbelievable. Tomorrow I will telephone tech. support & ask if I am doing something wrong.

Offline dawn68

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
Hi Bob, Forgot to write -On the right of CC#30/D1 under "function" is written SUSTAIN & under "part" there is just a - (dash) nothing written in that column .Cheers

Offline Bob90

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 11:37:06 AM »
For the D1 note you have to send 38. Hex stands for Hexadecimal and goes 0 to F, 0 to 9 is the same but 10 is written as A, 11 as B, 12 as C, 13 as D, 14 as E and 15 as F then 10 hex is 16 decimal. In midi/external Controller screen you can select 16 midi channels.
The MFC10 has to know with midi channel you have select. I use channel 16. On the pictures of soryt you can see he selected
channel 1. Check please witch channel you have selected and if needed changed it to 16, because if you followed my program guide you have programmed the MFC10 with 9F witch is midi channel 16. Don't forget to save. In the data book you can find the note values.

When using the MFC10 the Function light shut be on otherwise it is not working.

Regards Bob

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »
I do remember seeing that when setting up the Pedal the midi cable has to be Keyboard sending to pedal and when set up the cable has to be moved to Pedal sending to keyboard. I think Midi B is used for this.

Offline dawn68

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »
Hi Bob, checked & am on channel 16 but the midi port wasn't on midi B does this make a difference?

Offline Bob90

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »
Hi dawn68, the FMC10 shout connect with the midi port you selected in midi/external Controller screen. I'm using port A.
Be sure your midi cable is on the FMC10 in the midi out and in the Genos in the midi in.

Regards Bob
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 04:06:45 PM by Bob90 »

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 03:37:51 PM »
Dawn,

Here is a video that will tell you how to set up the MFC10. This is for Tyros, but this will gove you the instructions for the pedal itself. Between this and the replies you have gotten above, you should be able to get it working. I don’t have a Genos yet! Not sure why they eliminated the set up screen that the Tyros has.
https://youtu.be/1XWWr6SdyjA

Hope this helps!

Rick D.

Offline dawn68

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 04:45:19 PM »
Something must be amiss Rick D. as I have watched the video & followed instructions given by forum members, no luck so will phone Yamaha tech support tomorrow, thanks very much for your suggestions.

Offline Bob90

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »
Is nothing working or some not? Have you checked if the MFC10 is connected right and is the Function light on the MFC10 is on?
Or check if the programmed Food switches have the right values. I think you are right and there is a little thing wrong what is missed.
At first I had problems too but after I did a 'Initialize' on my MFC10 and programmed the Food switches again everything was working fine.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:59:24 PM by Bob90 »

Offline dawn68

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
Hi Bob, Yes I have 4 buttons that work, End 1& 2 which are programmed into button 6 & 7 and Fill & break which are programmed into button 1 & 2. Yes function light is on & is connected Genos midi B in to Mac midi out. Very confused.

Offline Bob90

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
Great, than is the connection working.  Witch functions are not working?

Bob

Offline dawn68

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 06:20:04 PM »
3 4 & 5 8 & 9 , need rotary speaker on/off in 3. Registration+ in 4, Sustain in 5, Style on/off in 8 & not bothered about 9 at the moment.

Offline Bob90

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »
The sustain Food switch is working like a real sustain pedal so when you release the Food switch the sustain is off.
Is the sustain still on CC#30/D1? It need to send note value 38.
Registration+ I think you mean Registration sequence +? Too use this you have to turn this function on. Go to menu1 and Tab on Register Sequence and select on, I have set + and - on Pedal3.

Witch function you have select for rotary speaker on/of  and witch CC number so I can test it?
Witch CC number for Style on/off.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 07:06:57 PM by Bob90 »

Offline dawn68

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 07:13:22 PM »
Sorry Bob but the sustain is the same wether it's pressed or not there is no response.Sustain is still on 30 but don't understand what you mean by sending note value 30. The registration sequence is turned on.

Offline Bob90

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
In my MFC10 program guide  you select first 9F and then change the value to 40 then save.
For using the sustain select Food switch 5 then using my guide en select 9F and then change the value not to 40 but 38 ( the note value of D1) and save.
Witch CC number you using for Registration sequence?

regards Bob

Offline dawn68

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 07:59:02 PM »
Hi Bob will have to wait till tomorrow my head is buzzing, will let you know as soon as, many thanks

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 01:19:48 AM »
Dawn,

To me it makes no sense that you can get some functions to work but not others. I am wondering if #1 Your MFC10 is not faulty. Was it working properly on your previous keyboard?
#2 I’m wondering if you have a bad midi cable.

I have an MFC10, and it was simple to set up, but it is on a Tyros 5.

Good luck,

Rick D.

Offline dawn68

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »
Hi Bob & Rick , Now have Registration seq.+ & Sustain & Style start/stop buttons working , was talked through by very patient tech. support man from Yamaha, same man going to look into putting R1 DSP variation into button 3 but there doesn't seem to be an option for it that we could find as there was in tyros, who knows it might appear in an upgrade sometime. I really am grateful for the time you spent trying to help me I learned so much from your posts which in turn made it easier to follow the phone call from Yamaha. Many many thanks again. Regards from dawn68

Offline Bob90

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 12:03:26 PM »
Hi Dawn, great that it is working now.  :)

regards Bob

Offline soryt

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 04:24:03 PM »
After al , it is strange that it isnt possible to control the rotary speed with the Mfc10,and other controllers.
I wish fore one day that Yamaha take the arranger players serious , if this was happening on the synths they will manage it in a few months .

8)

Offline dawn68

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
Hi soryt, Seems like a backward step to me when it could be achieved on tyros 5 & earlier tyros but not now on the latest model, watch this space.

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »
Hi soryt, Seems like a backward step to me when it could be achieved on tyros 5 & earlier tyros but not now on the latest model, watch this space.

That's exactly what I've said before in other posts.
Genos does not have the same things as Tyros 5
Yamaha have not completed their programs in Genos.
Many things missing if compared to Tyros 5.

// Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Offline dawn68

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 06:16:29 PM »
Hi Pierre, pleased some one agrees, another thing I personally miss are the Live strings which on tyros 5 were in the legacy folder, the kino strings & Seattle strings are quite harsh compared to the live ones & if you listen to a live orchestra no way are they harsh nor tinny, I am using yamaha dxr10  speakers which are very true reproducing sounds & I find them harsh.

Offline soryt

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
I have for now solved this "problem" with a extra pedal switch atached to the Mfc and the sustain on switch 1. works now for me . .
Lets hope someone of Yamaha read this forum and take some action  (also with other problems with the Genos)
I have it almost a year now , i like the sound quality , but there is so much to improve in the software and handling on the Genos , just wait for the Genos 2

Soryt  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:54:24 PM by soryt »

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »
Dawn,

Glad the tech was able to help.
I am holding off on the Genos in hopes that they get all these glitches straightened  out.
I have owned four Tyros arrangers and have loved each one of them. I now have the Tyros 5 and think it is the best keyboard to date. It will take time for them to work out the bugs, after all, we the users, are their testers! 😏

Rick D.

tyrosman

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 10:42:56 PM »
Hi Pierre, pleased some one agrees, another thing I personally miss are the Live strings which on tyros 5 were in the legacy folder, the kino strings & Seattle strings are quite harsh compared to the live ones & if you listen to a live orchestra no way are they harsh nor tinny, I am using yamaha dxr10  speakers which are very true reproducing sounds & I find them harsh.
   hi Dawn the Strings you are looking for are in Genos :) in the Legacy folder and they are called strings

Bachus

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 03:24:25 PM »
Mfc 10 seems a burden to program

The T5 allowed you to progam on the T5 and then send to the Mfc 10 which was quite easy

Now you need to program all the foot switches to send a note..
And then you need to program the same note numbers with functions in the Genos..

There should be a conversion table in the mfc manual showing which note numbers belong to which note..  Genos uses notes.. mfc uses note numbers.

Another thing i noticed is that MFC uses 1 to 128
Where hex in general is 0-127

Just bought a used mfc 10, program woes are incomming..
But i think i will fix that..
Which leaves me with another question..
What functions do i program to which button?

For the first page i was thinking
1)start/stop
2)Art1
3)Art2
4)Soft pedal
5)next registry sequence
6)Var1
7)Var2
8)Var3
9)Var4
0)break

And on page 3
I want to put registry 1 to 10

Just need to figure out page 2..

Bachus

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 05:33:59 PM »
It all wasn’t that hard after all..
Bob’s tutorial worked quite well as soon as i remebered th middle C (midi note number 60) is C3 on Yamaha and C4 on all the other instruments of the world..

For the notes used in the setup from Genos, this means that C#-1 is note number 13..  just program all pedals from there, raising note vallue by 1..

So mfc10 works perfectly with Genos...  soon i will be trying out to see if i can make a setup to controll both Genos and Modx...

Offline soryt

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »
@Bachus , are you able to get the Rotary slow/fast programming on the MFC10 ? would be great if you could do .
Yamaha hasnt it listed in the pedal screen.

Bachus

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 01:12:45 PM »
@Bachus , are you able to get the Rotary slow/fast programming on the MFC10 ? would be great if you could do .
Yamaha hasnt it listed in the pedal screen.

If its not listed, you can only adress settings that are listed trough sending note on.
Maybe its possible trough a sys-ex, but havent found a way to semd sys-ex from the mfc10

I will look into this tonight..

Offline zionip

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 01:21:05 PM »
There is no provision of programming "Rotary slow/fast" on the MFC10 yet.  Don't waste your time.

Bachus

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 04:20:24 PM »
There is no provision of programming "Rotary slow/fast" on the MFC10 yet.  Don't waste your time.

Its not as much as a provision for programming rotary slow/fast on mfc10 thats missing.. as all that mfc10 does is send note on...   its a genos related short comming, not having this option in the midi external comtroller tab,..  an easy change could make this possible,..

The mfc10 can not change sysex either, so thats not an option..

Another thing i would love to see is an option for the mfc controll (pedal) changes, to function as the main volume pedal on Genos..  there is much more depth in these settings, and they can be assigned to a performance memmory..

Offline zionip

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2019, 05:57:12 PM »
Another thing i would love to see is an option for the mfc controll (pedal) changes, to function as the main volume pedal on Genos..  there is much more depth in these settings, and they can be assigned to a performance memmory..

You can control the right voices with the MFC10 expression pedal:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40058.msg323332.html#msg323332

Instruction from a PSR Tutorial member lacobo:

"To Program the Foot pedal: (the volume pedal on the right side of the MFC-10)
1 Hit button 1 of the MFC10 in F-mode (F01 appears in the display)
2 Press the FC Edit button
3 Set the Status to bF (+ FC Edit button)
4 Set DataContrl to 007 (+ FC Edit button)
5 Set Max to 127 (+ FC Edit button)
6 Set Min to 0 or higher (+ FC Edit button)
7 Press the Write/Exit button
8 Press the Inc/Yes button to save the setting
9 Set in the Genos the receiving midi-channel A16 to Keyboard  <-- On Genos, the default midi channel for this is already A16.

And voilla, you can alter the volume of the voices you play."

Bachus

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 06:19:23 PM »
You can control the right voices with the MFC10 expression pedal:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40058.msg323332.html#msg323332

Instruction from a PSR Tutorial member lacobo:

"To Program the Foot pedal: (the volume pedal on the right side of the MFC-10)
1 Hit button 1 of the MFC10 in F-mode (F01 appears in the display)
2 Press the FC Edit button
3 Set the Status to bF (+ FC Edit button)
4 Set DataContrl to 007 (+ FC Edit button)
5 Set Max to 127 (+ FC Edit button)
6 Set Min to 0 or higher (+ FC Edit button)
7 Press the Write/Exit button
8 Press the Inc/Yes button to save the setting
9 Set in the Genos the receiving midi-channel A16 to Keyboard  <-- On Genos, the default midi channel for this is already A16.

And voilla, you can alter the volume of the voices you play."

Yes... thats obvious..
And now controll all 3 voices at the same time with that pedal?

Thats a no go..

spar

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »

Hi everyone, can you help me, what is it necessary to enter to move the texta, if it is possible to assign it to extern pedal 2-5, lp

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2020, 11:09:10 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks to you guys, I was able to get my MFC-10 working on my Genos. Once you realize how to program it, it isn't so bad, but it certainly wasn't as easy to do as my Tyros 4 and 5 were.

Thanks again!
Rick D.