Author Topic: Program Change values that won't change anything on Genos??  (Read 3069 times)

Offline jimlaing

Program Change values that won't change anything on Genos??
« on: January 02, 2020, 06:43:44 AM »
Hi ... I'm using a MIDI controller, the M-Audio Code49, to play a certain MIDI channel on Genos, and it works well overall for that.  The only thing that is a problem is that the Code49 sends a Program Change (you can specify the number, the LSB and MSB), each time a Preset is called up on the Code49.  You can't disable this function; the Code49 has to send something every time a preset is selected on the Code49.  Since I want to control my sounds via Registrations and not have the Code49 "over-ride" or "interrupt" that, I was hoping I could find values (for PC, LSB, MSB) that the Genos would ignore (not respond to).  I have tried weird numbers like 127, 127, 127, or 103, 97, 81 (just some random numbers that I know are not in the Data List), but the Genos still seems to respond by selecting some sound.  This isn't a problem with the Genos; it's a limitation of the M-Audio controller.  I was hoping I could find a combination of PC, LSB, MSB that is so "odd" that the Genos would effectively say "I don't know what to do with these numbers, so I'm going to do nothing)".

This might be a situation where I need to call Yamaha, but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has any ideas ...

Thanks!
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

SeaGtGruff

Re: Program Change values that won't change anything on Genos??
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 07:12:48 AM »
I'm not familiar with the Genos's ootions, but on other models (PSR-S, etc.) you can go into the MIDI receive settings and tell the keyboard not to accept Program Change, Bank Select, Control Change, etc.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:28:18 AM »
Jim,
In the Ensemble voices (Preset/ EnsemblePart/ Others) there is a No Assign "voice" which has voice nos 109/0/128.
You could try those.
John

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »
I'm looking at the MIDI settings in the Reference Manual, and you can disable reception of Bank Select and Program Change messages, exactly as you can on PSR-S models and Tyros models.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
FWIW I find using Port B for midi generally gives less 'interference', albeit mainly out rather than in, with a 'MIDI OFF' template just having 'Keyboard' ticked on 'Port2Chx' Receive page 3
Genos, Montage 7, PSR EW-410 HS5's, mfc10
Former Keyboards: T1/2/3/5 & various Organs

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 01:50:59 PM »
As SeaGtGruff has already said, you can disable Note, CC, PC, PB and AT individually as required for each MIDI port/channel using the MIDI Receive display.

It may not be immediately obvious, but on the MIDI Receive display, there is a right pointing arrowhead icon above the Channel list, which can be touched to switch to a second page for each channel, which contains the above options.

As long as you don't want to receive any CC or PC on the specific MIDI channel, it would appear that disabling them here should solve your problem!

Regards

Ian

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »
Hi - thanks for the ideas so far.  The problem is that I want other buttons on my Code49 to call up various sounds, I have set up the 36 buttons (4 banks of 9) to call up various sounds, so that I can quickly recall Strings, Piano, Sax, Trumpet, etc. etc.  So, I can't disable receiving of PC, as I want the Genos to respond to the "intended" PC commands when I press one of the 9 buttons to call up a new sound.

I just don't want this "Zone" feature, which has to have a Program Change in it, and always sends it, to change the sound that I have currently selected on the Genos in Right3.  I only want to change sounds when I "tell it so" via pressing a button that I've set up to call up a new sound.  The real problem is that the "Zone" feature of the Code49, *has* to have a sound selection, it always sends a PC command; no way to disable that or say "I don't want a new sound when I enable a Zone".

Thanks!
Jim

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 02:50:29 PM »
On jwyvern's reply - I'll look into that ... I wonder if it calls up an "empty voice" or if it "does nothing" (in computer lingo, NO-OP) when I use that set of numbers you mentioned for that no-voice ensemble?

What I don't want, is if say I'm playing a Trumpet on Right 3 (by playing the Code49), is to have the Code49 change the Trumpet suddenly to some other sound, just because I engaged the "Zone" feature.  If anyone is curious, the reason I'm using the Zones, has to do with how I have the Code49 doing one of two things - either controlling Genos, or via a different preset on the Code49,controlling an iPad instead.  It's when I switch between these modes, that the Code49 sends a PC command to the Genos, taking out whatever voice I had in Right 3 . . .

Jim

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »
Not sure if this is a practical suggestion or not, but ....

Have 2 MIDI profiles set up on the Genos - one which responds to program change, and one which doesn't

When you want to engage the Zone, switch between the profiles on Genos first then switch back again when you want to change the program from the Code49

Set up one of the A-F buttons to bring up the MIDI profile selection page quickly.
Genos