Author Topic: the very basic first things to do for a novice genos owner  (Read 5261 times)

Offline beano

the very basic first things to do for a novice genos owner
« on: September 22, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »
as the title says,any help on pointing me in the right direction of do,s and don'ts when setting up the genos for the first time,iv'e already read an instruction how to update to the latest software version,just wondering if there's any other important stuff i may want to do...not received my genos yet..just getting ahead for when it gets delivered

Offline soryt

Re: the very basic first things to do for a novice genos owner
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
Read the Manual at first . .  ;)

Soryt  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 04:06:09 PM »
After reading the manual about what they are and their use, make a plan of how you want to organize your registrations and playlists. I mean using folders and such.

Once you begin to make and store them it will be harder to reorganize them if not previously thought.

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »
Read the Manual at first . .  ;)

Soryt  :)

Connect everything including pedals
Switch on
Sit and play...

You can either read the manual before you buy..
When you encounter a problem
Or when you have enjoyed playing..

First reading the manual with such a beatifull instrument before you..
... is highly illogical

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 04:58:31 PM »
Sit and play. Have fun. Experiment.

Ask questions here.

Enjoy the keyboard,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »
First reading the manual with such a beatifull instrument before you..
... is highly illogical

Please, note that the OP said he HAD NOT YET RECEIVED the Genos!. So my comments were about what I would do in advance to receiving it, based on my experience of working with my Genos.

Of course, if he has already got it... just play and enjoy  :)!!!

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Offline beano

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
thanks for the reply's,and good advice especially about organising regs and of course reading the manual...thanks

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 06:44:49 PM »
thanks for the reply's,and good advice especially about organising regs and of course reading the manual...thanks

Regarding the manual... My approach to Genos, while I was thinking on buying it and also when I decided to buy it and was waiting for it to arrive, was to download the manual and read it with the necessary detail. Because, when you receive such a nice piece of electronics, the last thing you usually do is to read the manual. So, all what you can learn or at least be familiar with previously is very useful.

Of course, you will not master the Genos just by reading the manual and probably not even after months of use, but those first hours are easier if you have some background on the unit.

Of course IMHO. And YMMV!

Jose
Jose Gavila

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 07:21:32 PM »
After reading the manual about what they are and their use, make a plan of how you want to organize your registrations and playlists. I mean using folders and such.

Once you begin to make and store them it will be harder to reorganize them if not previously thought.

Jose

Amen! I recommend starting slow. Build one or a few registrations following your plan. Then ask, "What if I have 100 or 200 songs/registrations?" Will your plan scale up? Once you get to 50 or more, it's not so easy to reorganize.

Good luck with your Genos! Great instrument and lots of fun.

-- pj

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 09:41:27 PM »
Where to start depends on your level of knowledge, and you didn’t give any information on that. Is this your first arranger, how competent is your musical ability etc.
If this is your first arranger start by learning to select a style, how to drive it, select a RH voice and start playing and experimenting. Then learn how to set/change tempo, different fingering modes and how to use the music finder or whatever it is called on Gemos and keep playing.
Registrations, altering styles, recording,  etc are WAY down the line. Don’t get bogged down too soon on the deep operating system. Just get making music at your level. When you need to know something read the manual first, but if this doesn’t make it clear - and it often will not - ask a clear question here.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »

Hi beando,

there is not only ONE manual: In addition to the "Owner's Manual" there are the "Reference Manual", the "Data List" and some more. :)

If not already done, you can download all manuals from the Genos download website:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline beano

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 02:00:48 AM »
yes i had already downloaded the owners manual,and now on you're advice,i'll get the reference and data list pdf's,i've also been taking a look at some setting up your genos tutorials on youtube,some of it looks daunting...when my genos is delivered at least i will have some vague idea how to set up the assign buttons and such