Author Topic: Lyrics/Karaoke midi files  (Read 17015 times)

Offline dinapoli

Lyrics/Karaoke midi files
« on: September 21, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to set Genos to play karaoke midi files, I am having problem to set the keyboard in a way to bring up lyrics automatically if a midi file contains Lyrics, without having to to menu or press anything to load the lyrics.

Yamaha support suggested to save the lyrics function in an assignable button.  I did that, but to make it work I had to make a registration with this function assigned to the button, so before I play a midi file I need to bring up this registration first, then load the midi file and finally use the assigned button to bring up the lyrics.  This is very distracting in a live situation

I can't believe that this keyboard can't be set-up to automatically display lyrics when it plays a karaoke midi file.

I don't remember pushing any buttons to bring up lyrics on my Tyros 3 or 1.
Anyone has the same problem?

Is Yamaha support person right?  This keyboard can't be set-up to recognize lyrics immediately?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Lyrics/Karaoke midi files
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 04:01:48 PM »
What you need to do is enhance your registrations. Simply memorize the midi file in your registration and set it in a Playlist to display lyrics.

So you can set it up to display the lyrics with one button push, but you have to do it the Genos way, not the old way.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 06:32:18 PM »
Simply memorize the first midi file in a registration, to change the song, than touch lower left corner (See picture)
to select the next song in your folder with karaoke songs,
than press exit, It will be the shortest way to change the song and show the new songlyrics.

// Pierre

[attachment deleted by admin]
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Offline AlBags

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »

Hi

As Fred said! ... or use an Assignable button.

Al
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »
Thank you for the input.

I've done both, the problem the assignable buttons are not lighted, in a dark environment I can't see it,  maybe I am expecting to much from a flagship arranger. I need to put a little light on it.

I am having another problem, My keyboard doesn't change the changes made to a midi file.

I am following instructions on page 74.
Menu>midi multi recording>load the song to be edited>muted the drums>played the song to make sure they were muted>touched mix>touched execute>a window showed completed>Saved the file with a new name.  Exit the process, when I play the saved file the drums are still there.  What am I doing wrong?
I tried this with a few midi files the result is the same.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 06:05:13 PM »
........ What am I doing wrong?
I tried this with a few midi files the result is the same.

Hi.

Figured out this when help another Genos user how to edit midifile 'live' when midi plays.
I assume the same goes for what you want to do.
Quite a lot 'buttonpressing', but maybe someone know another and more easy way to do it?

- Press the white 'Recording' button at the left side of the keyboard.
- Choose 'Mutirecord' at the TouchScreen
- Choose 'New Song' (Check that midi switch upper T-screen is set to Midi)
- Browse to location of your file, and highligt the midifile by press the name.
- Press X upper at right screen
- Now you can start the midi if you wish to by use of the player control lower left T-screen
- Press 'Menu' upper T-screen
- Press 'Mixer'
- Choose the desired track selector upper line at T-screen (Song 1-8 / Song 9-16)
- Edit what you want to edit.
- Press X in T-screen.
- (Stop song if runningh) then press 'Setup' at upper T-Screen.
- Press 'Execute'
- Press 'Close'  (if large midi wait a second or two, if not sometimes press twice.)
- Press 'Save'

This lead you to the keypad naming screen, rename and / or just browse to where you want to save the file.

Hope this is for any help. Good luck. :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:27:10 PM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

The following users thanked this post: Mike W

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 08:59:41 PM »
Thank you Jonny,

Basically I've been doing the same steps.  Genos shows that the edit has been EXECUTED and I SAVED it with a different name, the new files shows up where I saved it, the keyboard just doesn't seem to save the changes.  I just tried again, I simply lowered the drums all the way down.  the same happened.

I just got off the phone with Yamaha, they asked me to send them one of my midi files,  I told them these file worked well in my Tyros 1 and 3 and in my Audya, I was able to make all the changes I wanted.  I e-mailed him a midi file anyway.

While on the phone with the support man from Yamaha, I explained again the problem with the lyrics, it shouldn't take so many button pushes to get the lyrics on.  The Tyros 1 and 3 and the Audya didn't have this problem.  He agreed it is a nuisance and a distraction for someone who performs live.  He is going to try to find a way.  This is supposed to be an improvement over the Tyros! Even a free program such as VAN BASCO shows the lyrics as soon a file is loaded.

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 04:37:29 PM »
Thank Jonny,

I tried again today, it worked!

Frankly I don't know what I was doing wrong, somehow I most have been skipping a step in the saving process.

So many steps, but if I do often it will be routine.

Now if only we can get the keyboard display the lyrics without pressing any buttons, like I do with other arrangers or the same way I do with Van Basco, the keyboard will be much better for live performance.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 04:58:49 PM »
Now if only we can get the keyboard display the lyrics without pressing any buttons, like I do with other arrangers or the same way I do with Van Basco, the keyboard will be much better for live performance.

This is easily done with registrations and playlists.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:58:32 PM »
Thank you Fred,  how do I do it?

I want to be able to just touch the midi file and the lyrics appear without touching or pressing any other button.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 06:26:49 PM »
Thank you Fred,  how do I do it?

I want to be able to just touch the midi file and the lyrics appear without touching or pressing any other button.

No can do. You need to use a registration to enable "one touch".

The other option is to use an external monitor. It can be set up to always be displaying the lyrics.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 06:55:16 PM »
Thank you,

I think I am missing something, I was able to display the lyrics without touching any additional buttons when I used the Tyros 1 and 3, even my Ketron can do it, I am surprised this keyboard can't do it.

The monitor or TV is an idea, but then I need to carry one more item.  I am using a laptop that folds in a tablet, I wrote the lyrics and chords of my songs  on I for when I play the keyboard,  do you know if I can connect it to the keyboard and use it for both functions?

I guess life was simpler when I played everything live and used a fake book! 

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »
I think I am missing something, I was able to display the lyrics without touching any additional buttons when I used the Tyros 1 and 3,

Tell us how you did it on the Tyros, so we can see if you can duplicate the process on the Genos.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 07:57:06 PM »
It has been many many years ago.  Probably I did it with the Tyros one and when switched to Tyros 3 just loaded the files.

I just remember editing the midi files very easy and somehow probably something in the display settings.

I never used the music find.

I just remember I had the midi files looking the same way as the registrations look in this keyboard, I just pressed a button on the side of the song anf if it had lyrics in it they will jus show up.

Maybe someone who has the Tyros 1 or 3 can help,  If I am not mistaken you could set-up the screen of the Tyros to display lyrics or the keyboard.  I don't remember if the Tyros had a dedicated button to display lyrics or keyboard.  I am going to find a manual for the Tyros 3 and refresh my memory.

I know my Audya4 which I still have has a dedicated button.

Thank you.

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 09:08:18 PM »
Fred,

I downloaded the manual for the Tyros 3. On page 50, under the screen you can see a bunch of buttons.  Number 4 is dedicated to lyrics on and off.  Probably I set up all my songs with this button engaged and saved to registrations. I don't know how, but the Tyros 3 remembered not only the button engaged but displayed the lyrics as soon as the file is loaded.

I tried to do the same with Genos I set the assignable button #1 for lyrics, I saved it in a Registration, I saved it with the Title of the song opened in the display, When I go back to that registration, the keyboard remembers the location of the song, remembers the settings of the assignable button, but I need to push the button for lyrics to appear in the screen.

If I can make this work the way it should, this has great potential.  I could assign the microphone with different settings to a different button of the same Registration, I could assign voices of the keyboard ready to play etc.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 11:02:37 PM »
I downloaded the manual for the Tyros 3. On page 50, under the screen you can see a bunch of buttons.  Number 4 is dedicated to lyrics on and off.  Probably I set up all my songs with this button engaged and saved to registrations. I don't know how, but the Tyros 3 remembered not only the button engaged but displayed the lyrics as soon as the file is loaded.

I tried to do the same with Genos I set the assignable button #1 for lyrics, I saved it in a Registration, I saved it with the Title of the song opened in the display, When I go back to that registration, the keyboard remembers the location of the song, remembers the settings of the assignable button, but I need to push the button for lyrics to appear in the screen.

In fact, both Tyros and Genos operate the same way. You load the song, then press the lyrics button. The only difference is that Tyros has a dedicate Lyrics button; on Genos, you have to assign the operation to one of the assignable buttons. Once assigned, it will stay assigned forever, unless you or a registration change it. If you want to duplicate this Tyros operation, there's no need for a registration. Just assign the function to a button (I use Button E), and leave it there.

It's true that once lyrics are engaged, the Tryos will stay on the lyrics screen. But so will the Genos. But then how do you load the next song without pressing buttons to do so? If you're using the Autoplay feature of the Tyros (where it will randomly or sequentially play another song in the folder), you can do the same in Genos with a Songlist. And this feature is even better on the Genos because the songs don't have to be in the same folder.

In summary, you can do exactly the same thing on Genos as you did on Tyros. But before you go down that road, you should remind yourself why you bought a new keyboard. It was to take advantage of new features on it. In addition to being able to do things the old way, you should check into the additional features that Genos offers -- Songlists, and Playlists. I'm betting you'll like either one better than the old way.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »
Fred,

In the Tyros 3 settings you'll find lyrics ON/OFF, I couldn't find this setting in the Genos, they have a text box you can check, but not lyrics.
Yamaha told me they will work on it.  Any window player, and all the Karaoke players program have the feature to show lyrics as soon you load a karaoke file.

I use a play list on the computer, simply have different folders for different jobs,

My registrations are set sort of as play list I set my registrations with a number in front of the title of the song, the number represents a genre, I have been using this system forever and I am very comfortable with it.

Thank you