Author Topic: MIC Settings on the T4  (Read 4079 times)

WTIerney

MIC Settings on the T4
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:29:44 PM »
I am having a hard time getting a reasonable quality sound from using a mic on my Tyros 4 TRS-MS04 Speaker set. Does anybody have any recommended settings for both the T4 TALK and non-TALK settings?  Thanks or your help!

Offline overover

Re: MIC Settings on the T4
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 12:48:01 AM »
Hi WTIerney,

what Type of microphone you are using exactly?

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:49:59 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

WTIerney

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:59:40 AM »
Chris - it's primarily a Shure sm58.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 04:25:02 PM »
Hi WTIerney,

thanks for you reply!

The most important thing is that you speak/sing VERY CLOSE to the microphone (maximum distance 4 - 5 cm from your lips).The microphone should be placed right  in the middle between your T4 speakers and as far away from the speakers as possible.

The SM 58 has a cardioid polar pattern. This means, the monitor speaker normally should be in the BACK of the SM 58. If you have problems with feedback, I recommend to use a Shure Beta 58A. This microphone has a hyper cardioid polar pattern, which is ideal for using with TWO monitor speakers, placed as on Tyros models. Besides, the Beta 58 A has a "fresher" sound and a much higher output than the SM 58.

The next thing is to set the MIC GAIN to a proper value: Reduce the Mic Volume in Mixing Console and set Mic Gain to a value that the LED is GREEN or YELLOW but NOT RED, when you speak/sing into the microphon "as loud as possible" for a short time. Then you can set the Mic Volume in Mixing Console (Balance Display) to the desired value.

To make the MIC EQ settings, I recommend to turn off the Mic Effect(s) first. Best is to cut low frequencies a little and use not too much high frequencies. The most important are the MIDDLE frequencies. Simply change the EQ settings slightly and use your ears. :)

Important: If you use MIC CMP (Compressor), feedback can occur earlier.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

WTIerney

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 06:09:21 PM »
Thanks Chris - I've tried those pointers but the sound is still not good!  Although, we're probably not using the same model mic, would you mind sharing the settings that you have on your T4? - Thanks!

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 01:07:14 PM »
Thanks Chris - I've tried those pointers but the sound is still not good!  Although, we're probably not using the same model mic, would you mind sharing the settings that you have on your T4? - Thanks!

Hi WTIerney,

I myself do NOT use a mic connected directly to the Tyros, because I use an external Mixer (and an external Vocal Harmony unit).

Therefore, I cannot share any mic settings with you.

P.S.
Did you check your mic connected to a Mixer/PA (to make sure the mic is ok)?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:10:02 PM by overover »