Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 9393 times)

Offline PierreSW

Monitors
« on: September 18, 2018, 08:18:45 AM »
Hi!
Do you need 2 extra screens?
Is it possible to use Ipad as a monitor as well?
Or does Ipad only work with Yamaha's apps?

// Pierre

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:20:17 AM by PierreSW »
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Offline zionip

Re: Monitors
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:22:11 AM »
Hi Pierre,

Thanks for using one of my Flickr photos to start this discussion thread.

You asked:  Do you need 2 extra screens?
Answer:  No, these screens are optional, depending on your needs. 

The 21.5-inch Dell S2240T touchscreen monitor resting on the Genos music stand has VGA, DVI, and HDMI inputs.  I connected a Plugable USB 2.0 video display adapter to the back USB 2.0 port of Genos to mirror its display to the Dell monitor through HDMI.  I also connected the same Dell monitor through DVI to HDMI adapter to a Windows 10 Pro laptop so I can run programs that enhance the operations of Genos, such as YEM, YRM, StyleMagic, StyleExtractor, StyleFinder etc. right in front of the Genos with a stylus, and a Logitech bluetooth keyboard.  I can switch the Dell monitor to display the Genos screen, or the laptop screen any time I want.

The ipad Pro 12.9 is for SongBook+ music score / lyrics display mainly, connected to Genos through USB3.0 camera kit, or bluetooth wireless MIDI through Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth wireless MIDI adapter plugged at the back of Genos for registration / song synchronization.

You asked:  Is it possible to use Ipad as a monitor as well?
Answer:  Yes and No.  Yes if you want to spend thousands of dollars to buy Teradek wireless video streaming devices to stream the Genos display signal to your ipad.  Most people, including me, will not spend so much money to make an ipad a remote video display. 

If you use a Windows 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop or a MacBook Pro instead of an ipad, you can purchase a $129 Elgato Cam Link USB 3.0 video capture stick to get HDMI input and display the Genos screen on the laptop screen at very low cost.

You asked:  Or does Ipad only work with Yamaha's apps?
Answer:  No, the ipad / ipad pro works with apps from Yamaha such as Chord Tracker (see an extensive list of Yamaha ios apps https://usa.yamaha.com/products/apps/index.html), 3rd party apps such as BauM Songbook+ and many more.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
Thanks for the answer, I got something to think about, that with monitors.

// Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Offline elvisfigredo

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
Hi Paul,
Your setup looks terrific. Read your piece on external monitors and its very interesting. Would you mind explaining how exactly the Elgato Cam Link connects to the Genos and the laptop? And how do you get it to display the Genos screen.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Elvis J Figredo

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »
Hi Paul,
Your setup looks terrific. Read your piece on external monitors and its very interesting. Would you mind explaining how exactly the Elgato Cam Link connects to the Genos and the laptop? And how do you get it to display the Genos screen.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Elvis J Figredo

Hi Elvis,

To output Genos display on to the laptop screen is very straight forward:

Genos back USB port - Plugable USB 2.0 display adapter (or any USB 2.0 display adapter with HDMI output, based on the DisplayLink DL-165 / DL-195 chipset) - HDMI cable - Elgato Cam Link - Windows 10 laptop / Apple MacBook Pro

I plugged the Elgato Cam Link (a USB 3.0 to HDMI dongle with an extension cord) into a USB 3.0 port of my touchscreen laptop.  Since the Elgato Cam Link is a class compliant device, I did not need to install any driver for it.  Windows 10 immediately recognized the Elgato Cam Link when it was plugged in.  The Elgato Cam Link became an available webcam, to the Windows 10 laptop.  The Elgato Cam Link works on MacBook Pro as a webcam similarly.

I already had a Plugable USB 2.0 display adapter plugged into the back USB 2.0 port of Genos.  I then connected a HDMI cable to the Plugable USB 2.0 display adapter's HDMI output on one end, and the Elgato Cam Link HDMI input on the other end.  Then on the Windows 10 laptop, I ran the Windows 10 built-in "camera" app and click the camera choice icon on the top left of the camera app to choose Elgato Cam Link.  Then the Genos screen was displayed on the laptop screen through the camera app as shown on the following photo:

I purposely put the Elgato Cam Link between the screen and the keyboard of the laptop so you can see it.

The Elgato Cam Link is very useful device - it can connect any camera, including DSLR, mirrorless, action cam, with HDMI output as webcam on your computer so we can use it in video chatting, recording etc.  It also allows game consoles to display on the PC/laptop screen.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:44:29 AM by zionip »

Offline elvisfigredo

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 01:28:41 AM »
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. You are a genius man. All the best in whatever you do.

Cheers from Down Under

Elvis J Figredo

Tyros567

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »
Hi,
I use new iPad Pro for Music sheet lyrics ,using ForScore and OnSong
Can I use my old iPad Pro as a touch screen as the picture you showed us?
I just bought elgato vhs to Mac converter, to save my old vhs videos in my Mac, is that the one I can use to use iPad as a touch screen but in a stand position?
I hope you understand my 2 questions
Thanks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 06:02:31 PM »
Can I use my old iPad Pro as a touch screen as the picture you showed us?
I just bought elgato vhs to Mac converter, to save my old vhs videos in my Mac, is that the one I can use to use iPad as a touch screen but in a stand position?
I hope you understand my 2 questions

No and no.

Touch on the Genos works only on the built-in screen.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Tyros567

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:47:03 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Thanks
I will be using Yamaha Genos as usual diagonal stand so I can see screen , sometimes I miss my tyros 5
 :-\ :'( :'(