Author Topic: Genos speakers GNS-MS01 ? Good ?  (Read 20357 times)

Offline Al Ram

Genos speakers GNS-MS01 ? Good ?
« on: September 13, 2018, 01:17:39 AM »
Hello Friends,

I currently have Yamaha monitors to play Genos at home.  Additionally I have 2 Bose L1's for playing at events. The 2 Boses can handle at least over 100 people.  I connect the microphone directly to Genos and then from Genos to the sound system. (Actually, i have a mixer because i use other devices).

However, sometimes, when someone invites you to play at their home, bringing Bose L1 is an overkill.    Bringing the Yamaha monitors are heavy and bulky.

Looking to purchase the Genos GNS-MS01 speaker set for portability and easier setup for these type of occasions, but wondering if the sound quality and volume is good enough for an average home.   I would only bring the two speakers and NOT the subwoofer (which seems heavy).

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GenosSpeakers--yamaha-gns-ms01-speaker-system-for-genos

This is not for my own home, is for when playing at someone else's home. 

Can the system be used with only the 2 satellite speakers and Without the subwoofer ?

Any thoughts ?

thanks in advance.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Genos speakers GNS-MS01 ? Good ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:01:52 AM »
The two satellite speakers are passive and contain no built-in amplification.

The amplifier for these, as well as the 'sub' speaker is built into the 'sub' unit!

The speakers will be rather quiet without the sub unit connected!  ::)

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: Musky

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:16:21 AM »
Ian

thanks a lot.  Good to know.

that answers my question.  Bringing the sub will kind of defeat my purpose . . . .

The sub looks similar in size to the bose (base).   thanks

thanks again.   
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

The following users thanked this post: KenL

louwe46

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 04:36:03 AM »
Watch and listen to Bose S1, they are super.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xld3sGwKHos

Greeting

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 08:01:37 AM »
Hi Al,
the GNS-MS01 sub is only 6.5kg (14lb 5ozs) and the satellites are 1.1kg (2lb 7ozs) which is not that heavy IMHO. As Ian has already stated, you have to use the sub to also drive the satellites. I have turned the sub down and run it without bass and it sounds very weak and full of treble and not a sound your audience would like.

I have the GNS-MS01 and I am very happy with it after I had adjusted the bass setting on the sub and the speaker eq settings on the Genos. I only use it at home and I use 2 LD Systems MAUI 28 G2's when playing out. When all is said and done its all about what works for you.
Murray
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Offline frozzers

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:41:02 AM »
Hi Murray

Would you mind sharing your EQ settings?

I’ve done a bit of tweaking but it would be good to compare.

Cheers

Chris

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »
However, sometimes, when someone invites you to play at their home, bringing Bose L1 is an overkill. 
(...)portability and easier setup for these type of occasions
I use a Montarbo MP4 for most occasions and it sometimes doubles as my monitor when there's a big soundsystem on stage. Very portable and more than enough power for rooms or small halls up to 200 m2 (approx. 2100 sqft). The integrated 4 channel mixer is also very convenient, because you can do a setup like keyboard, guitar (with virtual amp. on iPad) and two mics. I selected the Montarbo because the sound was both in volume and quality far better than other brands in the same pricerange (like Roland). There are simular products from other brands, even with integrated battery and BT, so you should have ample choice.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline 1970pianoman

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »
Hello:

I recently purchased the new Mackie Free Play speakers which would be suitable for taking to someone's home.  They can be set up on a standard microphone stand and are rated at 150 watts.  They can be plugged into the wall or used on their battery power. 

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 08:27:42 PM »
Thank you all. 

That is why this forum is great . . . . lot's of knowledge, lots of experience.

I will do my homework and look at your suggestions.

Pianoman,
This Mackie Free Play speakers seem great, very small, very portable . . . . I am impressed.    Do you connect that to your keyboard ?   is this the correct model/link ?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1402697-REG/mackie_freeplay_live_150_watt_personal_pa_with.html

Robert
The Montarbo MP4, looks great, however, it does not seem to be readily available in USA.  Mostly Europe, specifically Italy, but could not find it in USA.

Murray,
I will take a second look at the GNS-MS01 and compare weight and size with the other options.

Louwe46
The Bose S1, looks like a great option, i did not think about it before but will look at it now.  It looks like a good size.

thanks to everyone for pitching in with ideas.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 06:55:57 AM »
Robert
The Montarbo MP4, looks great, however, it does not seem to be readily available in USA.  Mostly Europe, specifically Italy, but could not find it in USA.
It's more about the kind of portable PA than the actual brand: one integrated compact casing with amp, mixer and speakers, no seperate stuff like power supplies or speaker cables, convenient handles etc. Pick up, plug and play. Many brands offer similar products.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline 1970pianoman

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 11:06:52 AM »
Al, yes I connect my Genos to the speakers in stereo.  They sound very good and will work well for small venues.

The following users thanked this post: Al Ram

Offline 1970pianoman

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 11:08:12 AM »
Al, yes I connect my Genos to the speakers in stereo.  They sound very good and will work well for small venues.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 05:13:31 PM »

Pianoman

they seem so small but at 150W, wow  !!!!!  look extremely portable and would be great for my purposes.   is $399 US Dlls each a reasonable price . . . ? that is the best price i have seen on the internet . . . .

can i ask you,  , ,  is that approx what you paid ?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1402697-REG/mackie_freeplay_live_150_watt_personal_pa_with.html

thanks in advance.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline 1970pianoman

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »
That's what I paid from Sweetwater.   They also have a Korg type for the same price but I have not tried the Korg.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »
Pianoman

thanks a lot.  I will check with my local Guitar Center to see if they have it.   Generally, I rather buy here locally in case i need to return stuff.

Great advise.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

blackpool

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 02:59:08 PM »
I Use and like Logitech 2.1's  Their Z range are really quite good and VERY low priced  The award winning Z623 are compact and perfect for my use at home. I also own the smaller set of Z333's which are also good.

Keith

Offline Dnj

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 06:39:04 PM »
Thank you all. 

That is why this forum is great . . . . lot's of knowledge, lots of experience.

I will do my homework and look at your suggestions.

Pianoman,
This Mackie Free Play speakers seem great, very small, very portable . . . . I am impressed.    Do you connect that to your keyboard ?   is this the correct model/link ?

Robert

Murray,
I will take a second look at the GNS-MS01 and compare weight and size with the other options.

Louwe46
The Bose S1, looks like a great option, i did not think about it before but will look at it now.  It looks like a good size.

thanks to everyone for pitching in with ideas.

I also have the Mackie FREEPLAY Live and it sounds wonderful...will try it on my Genos very soon at home also..my concern is mono vs stereo?

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 07:25:36 PM »
I also have the Mackie FREEPLAY Live and it sounds wonderful...will try it on my Genos very soon at home also..my concern is mono vs stereo?

Hi Dnj,

i recommend to always connect the Genos in Stereo when using a Stereo PA. Therefore, I would also connect the "Mackie FreePlay Live" system in Stereo.

If you use MONO connection only ("L / L+R" jack on the Genos), you will notice that many Voices will sound not good.

(Since the speakers of the "FreePlay Live" system are very close together, the Stereo impression is probably not nearly as good as using two separate speakers. But the sound will still be much better than in Mono.)

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Marcel

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 03:53:15 PM »
I just installed the Genos GNS-MS01 speakers - and they sound great in my home! Very happy - and yes, it makes a big difference to cable speakers in stereo to the Genos.

Offline kharri

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 07:51:32 PM »
I also bought the Genos speakers. I believe they have been discontinued now. They sound fine, but not as good as a sound system.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 08:39:58 PM »
I have the Genos speakers for home use and a Bose L1 compact and a Bose S1 Pro for venues. Very happy with all the speakers.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 09:03:16 PM »
The GNSMS01 is the best bang for the buck speaker set you can get for the Genos; but slightly combersome for taking out to gigs. Yes the sub is small and light, but the casing chips and scratch easily, so definitely take some care when transporting.

For ease of portability, I'd actually use a Yamaha Stagepas system (mixer and cables housed inside 2 speakers) or a Fender Passport / Event system

Mark

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 01:49:13 AM »
Will using the attached GNS-MS01 speaker system on the Genos disable the signals going out of the main left and right LINE OUT jacks?  Or visa versa?  In other words, can I run outputs to BOTH speaker systems if I am so inclined?  Don't ask me why I would want to do that. I don't know, just want to know if I can.  Thinking maybe there might be an impedance issue hooking them both up. I don't want to have to disconnect cables when choosing which speaker system I want to use at the time.
Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(

Offline overover

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 07:19:08 AM »
Will using the attached GNS-MS01 speaker system on the Genos disable the signals going out of the main left and right LINE OUT jacks?  Or visa versa?  In other words, can I run outputs to BOTH speaker systems if I am so inclined?  Don't ask me why I would want to do that. I don't know, just want to know if I can.  Thinking maybe there might be an impedance issue hooking them both up. I don't want to have to disconnect cables when choosing which speaker system I want to use at the time.

Hi Rich Z,

The Genos GNS-MS01 speaker system is connected to a proprietary mini DIN 8-pin socket (NOT like the Tyros5 to the Line Out Main sockets). So you can operate a speaker system connected to Line Out Main at the same time as the GNS-MS01.

By default, the Genos speaker system is switched off when a headphone plug is connected to the PHONES jack. You can prevent this by setting the parameter "Speaker" from "Headphone Switch" to "ON" under "Menu > Utility > Speaker/Connectivity". To switch off the Genos speakers without having headphones connected, set this to "OFF".

By the way, the Genos Line Out Main sockets cannot be muted here. So you have to switch off the speakers connected there if they are not needed.

P.S.
The individual outputs are completely separated electrically. Therefore, you can also operate everything at the same time if necessary.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 07:24:35 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 08:11:37 AM »
OK!  Good deal.  I was hoping it would work like that.

Thanks!

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2021, 07:57:20 PM »
They are fantastic. Korg produces a soundbar for their PA3x/PA4x that costs 3 times as much and doesn't sound anywhere near as good; In fact I've had most of my Korg customers ask to order the GNSMS01 for their PA3/4's, and I had to inform them that unfortunately, the connection is proprietary, so they won't be able to use it.

Incidentally I'm not dissing Korg in general (just their soundbar); the PA1000 has *the* best speakers I've heard on a portable. But I still bought a Yamaha because of the flexibility (samples, audio styles, style library, registrations). But their chord tracking, multipads, *are* better. But a *lot* of my Korg customers ask me "can I get Chinese/Italian/Celtic/Steinway/Bosendorfer sample packs like for the Yamahas?" and the answer is "no, at least not easily".

Mark

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2021, 11:39:51 PM »
Actually, after playing with the EQ on the Genos, those speakers are actually pretty nice sounding. They won't fill a large hall, but for what they were apparently designed for, they will do. And yes, I can play them along with the audio out to my mixer/receiver.