Author Topic: why are you using the MD-BT01 and not the UD-BT01 wireless adapter?  (Read 8240 times)

Offline Depo1964

I'm just curious for the reasons, it appears, that no one on this board is using the UD-BT01 wireless adapter.
At least there are not any posts mentioning the UD-BT01.
I plan on connecting an iPad Pro to my Genos in the future and would like any feedback on choosing the correct adapter.
thx.

Offline Al Ram

Re: why are you using the MD-BT01 and not the UD-BT01 wireless adapter?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 03:08:22 AM »
The main reason I got the MD instead of the UD is that i wanted truly wireless connection.

In the past I was connecting the keyboard to the iPad via a cable.   With the MD-BT01 I have accomplished a truly wireless connection between the Genos and the Ipad Pro via bluetooth. 

The MD connects to the keyboard MIDI ports and it is powered by the keyboard (via the MIDI ports), it does not require additional power. It is completely wireless.  Very unobtrusive.  No latency. 

The UD connects to a USB port in the keyboard.  It does not get power from the keyboard, you need to power it with an external power adapter.   

There might be other differences but for me these were the important ones:
1. with the MD i am not using valuable USB keyboard connections.
2. I wanted to replace the cable connection and go wireless. With the UD, i would only be replacing one wire by another wire plus an external power adapter.
3. if you do gigs outside your home, you want to minimize the items that you need to carry with you.
4. In my case the MD always stays plugged in the back of the keyboard.  I do not need to worry about it.

In fact there is another brand name that is even smaller and good reviews (I forgot the name). But i wanted to go with Yamaha brand name thinking that compatibility should be no issue with Yamaha/Yamaha all the way.

Both MD and UD cost the same about $50.

Other people might have a different situation and go for the UD . . .instead of the MD. For example if they want to use the MIDI ports for something else.

Hope this helps.   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 03:20:36 AM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 03:26:57 PM »
Other alternatives include:

QUICCO Sound mi.1
    Zivix puc+

The mi.1 is similar to the Yamaha MD-BT01. The QUICCO engineers are ex-Yamaha and developed the mi.1 before Yamaha released the MD.

Two other new offerings are:

QH U-M8 wireless MIDI adapter
    Frunsi BM-A01

They are also similar to the MD. Prices vary.

All the best -- pj

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »
I have used the mi.1 connect (Quicco) device, own 2 of them now; they have been flawless
both on my T5 and Genos ...

jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

khudson7

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »
How about connecting the iPad to Genos using Genos's access point(wifi connection).  Does that work?  Instead of buying the bluetooth connectors?

Ken

Offline voodoo

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 07:44:28 AM »
Yes,that works. But then the iPad does not have internet connection. ;)
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D