Author Topic: Knob Caps mod  (Read 4574 times)

vadesriux

Knob Caps mod
« on: September 09, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »
Sharing with you my very simple but very useful mod on the Genos.
Everyone should have by now found that when using the Genos rotary encoders, you never know  - especially on dim light - where the encoder is pointing to.
Well, with this mod that difficulty is over !

Made with 1 euro ladies white nail varnish + 1 euro baby cotton buds  ;)

NOTE: Do the procedure 1 cap at a time!

1- prepare 6 baby coton buds already dipped in acetone nail remover to clean the varnish excess.
2- gently pull all six knob caps uppwards until they come out of their shaft.
3- with a thin object (I used a small metal wire which ties USB cables when new, plus lots of other electronic stuff), dip the wire tip on the varnish.
4. apply the varnish on the small cap dent, even if it comes out of the dent a little bit.
5- with the cotton bud already dipped on acetone, clean the varnish excess left and right of the dent.

And thats it!
No need to shop online for expensive knob caps that most probably woudnt fit because the Genos "D shaft knob caps" dent points to a different direction comparing to standard "D shaft knob caps".

P.S. Yes I also was affraid of ruining the original Yamaha caps but the varnish gives you time to apply (before drying) and use the acetone to wipe the excess clean  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:45:41 PM by vadesriux »

Tankdave

Re: Knob Caps mod
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:00:53 PM »
I changed the knobs to a set of rubberised knobs.

I found the standard ones very slippery and you correct about the difficulty of finding replacements that fit, I had heck of a job.

The lines are a great impovement.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:17:51 PM »
Nice mod!  I will consider and maybe do this too!

Something else I wish I could find, is a set if slider caps that are colored in the standard Hammond way (some Black, Brown and White) ... would look kind of neat and be functional too ...

Thanks again, great idea!
-Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

vadesriux

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:25:35 PM »
Hi Jim.

Be careful with replacement caps for the Genos caps are different than standard caps. The pointer on standard caps points to the middle of the d-shaft curved side, and the Genos caps pointer points in another direction. Check well before buying.

Slide caps should be much easier to find.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:48:33 PM by vadesriux »

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »
Everyone should have by now found that when using the Genos rotary encoders, you never know  - especially on dim light - where the encoder is pointing to.

I believe those pots are standard pots and NOT rotary encoders.  I don't own a Genos but that issue has been discussed here.  Encoder knobs do NOT have any calibration or stop points... they go round and round.  I hope Yamaha do change this in the future.  It will mean new firmware code and new hardware knobs.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Tankdave

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 07:02:50 AM »
Yes, they should go "round & round" and S/W will then always zero them when powered up.

It is ceryainly an upgrade they need to make.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:04:14 AM by Tankdave »

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 10:33:22 PM »
It is certainly an upgrade they need to make.

...and they need to have the footages displayed automatically when those particular organs are selected. What a pain switching from piano to B3 Hammond sound at mid-song, only to have toggle through the slider selections to display the footages. One of the key things in playing B3 is adjusting footages on the fly. Someone at Yamaha really dropped the ball on this! I think they just need to add one line of code in the OS.

Yamaha - are you listening???

Sorry I went off topic. Great idea for the knobs. You can also use white latex paint applied with a tooth pick and a damp cloth to wipe the excess. If you screw it up, wash the knob in soap and water, and then start again.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 11:49:30 PM »
Hi

Best not to mess around with a keyboard like the Genos as you do not want to affect the saleable value when the next one comes out.

ATB
JOHN :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 11:46:06 AM »
Hi Lee,
  When you select your organ voice why not just press Voice edit and then you can change footage from screen or Sliders. Very easily done.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:39 PM »
Good suggestion, Eileen except it's the same number of actions. It's takes three button pushes with the left hand to drill down to the footages in the Live Control window. It also takes three button pushes with the right hand (not good) to do it your way.

Note: when you play an organ voice, press the Slider Assign button three times(!), you get the footages displayed in the Live Control window. When you switch back to a piano voice, the display defaults to the Channel levels. If they can create such a useless default like Channel levels, why not organ voice footages? Also note that I have these voices assigned to Reg banks and labeled as such. For live playing with a band, I find it very convenient to just punch the registration button that corresponds to my needs. All my pianos are in Bank 1, Electric Pianos are in Bank 2, Organs are in Bank 3, and so on...

Once again, I've gone off topic. Shall I start a new thread and have the moderator move this conversation? Apologies to vadesriux for messing with the topic :(!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.