Author Topic: New MODX Synths  (Read 43410 times)

SeaGtGruff

New MODX Synths
« on: September 09, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »
I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in "The Next Yamaha Keyboard," but that subforum is really for speculation and this is about an actual keyboard.

And I know that these forums are focused on the PSR and other arranger models, rather than on synths, but I know that several members are also very much interested in synths.

Anyway, I haven't seen an official announcement from Yamaha yet, but apparently there are three new synths coming out-- the 76-key model will supposedly be shipping from one UK store sometime next week, and hopefully the 61- and 88-key models won't be too far behind.

So far the only solid information about this new synth line-- called the MODX6, MODX7, and MODX8-- comes from the Gear4Music web site:

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Yamaha-MODX7-Synthesizer-Keyboard/2NRS

If the "Estimated delivery" dates of "13th - 17th September" are correct, we should start seeing more information about these new synths very soon.

EDIT: By the way, the ad says that "The AWM2 engine delivers 28-note polyphony and 64-notes of FM-X polyphony," but apparently that should be 128 and 64, because earlier in the ad it says that "The MODX7 Synth also includes 1GB of integrated flash memory and 192-note total polyphony."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:13:31 AM by SeaGtGruff »

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Offline vbdx66

Re: New MODX Synths
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 02:21:02 PM »
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the Information, this looks very impressive.

« MODX7 » such as in « Montage » and « DX7 »?

Aesthetically, I find that this new synth has something of the Genos. Must be cool to have both boards on a the same stage or studio rack. 8)

Isn’t it a bit strange that a dealer is already advertising these new synths without having Yamaha communicating anything? Could this be a leak or am I missing something here?

Have a nice Sunday,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »
I think perhaps "MODX" as in "MO"NTAGE plus "DX." There are/were different models of each, so I don't think it's from the DX7 specifically, and some people have suggested that the FM synthesis in the MONTAGE (and now the MODX) is more similar to the FS1R than to the DX7, although I'm not familiar enough with any of Yamaha's FM synths to know whether that's accurate.

Apparently Gear4Music put the ad up because they're accepting orders on the MODX7, even though it isn't available yet-- which is common practice these days with so many things (Blu-ray releases, books, musical keyboards, etc.)-- and they say they're expecting to be able to start delivering the MODX7 sometime within the coming week. If that's true then the only reason I can imagine why Yamaha might have wanted to keep it under wraps until the last minute is if they intend to unveil it at a musical instrument trade show. As it happens, there's a trade show in Russia this week-- NAMM Musikmesse Russia-- which will be held on about the same range of dates that Gear4Music listed, but I have no idea whether Yamaha will be there and (if so) whether they will present the MODX synths there. And it seems like news about new Yamaha products frequently "slips out" about a week before their official announcement, which has led some to wonder whether these "slips" are actually deliberate as a way to stir up buzz before the official announcement.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:36:13 PM »
It looks like a "baby" Montage with a FM synth engine.  Did you see that Super Knob?

I would suggest this to mean we will see a new line of arranger that replaces the (carrot-on-a-stick S970 upgrade) PSR S975.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:37:34 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
@Michael: yes, I also think that these « slips » are delibarate ;)

@Joe: I thought the Montage already had a FM engine built in?

Exciting news anyway, it would be great to have a new line-up of middle of the range arrangers in a few years time. PSR S with « S » like in « Superknob » ? LoL ;D

Vinciane

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 09:21:44 PM »
Some of these "slips" could be accidental, because Yamaha frequently must get information to dealers and distributors ahead of any official announcement so everyone will be ready to "go live" on the same date. And each online retailer's web page for the new product must be created before it can be published, so it isn't unheard of for someone to accidentally publish a web page early when they were supposed to wait until a certain date.

Of course, sometimes Yamaha announces a new product well in advance of its release, such as when they announce a new PSR-E model at NAMM but then we must wait 3 or more months before it becomes available in any stores.

But in this case it appears that the release/availability may have been intended to coincide with the announcement/unveiling, and in that type of situation things can and do go wrong as far as keeping everything quiet and under the covers until the moment of the planned unveiling. Of course, that sort of accident can create excited buzz, which is generally not a bad thing.

Also, if Yamaha will be attending the NAMM Musikmesse Russia trade show this week, and if they will be presenting the new MODX synths at that show-- neither of which I have any way of knowing, so I can't stress strongly enough that I'm just idly speculating here-- then this could be a way to help boost awareness of the NAMM Musikmesse Russia trade show. Certainly I had never heard of it until I searched for "is there a musical instrument trade show in september 2018" to see if anything came up that coincided with the expected delivery dates on Gear4Music's web site. And if this "slip" does create an excited buzz, then it could conceivably help boost attendance at NAMM Musikmesse Russia if people are hoping that the MODX will be presented there and want to see/hear it for themselves. Of course, if it's going to be available in stores at about the same time, then people could just run down to the nearest Yamaha retailer.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 09:48:04 PM »
@Joe: I thought the Montage already had a FM engine built in?
Vinciane

Yes the Montage has FM and AWM2 Voices. I just think there is a BIG change coming for next PSR arranger too... like there was for the Tyros upgrade to the Genos. For me, the S975 release suggests there will be some included expansion packs or...  FM, or possibly a AN (analog synth engine) built-in.  I don't like the sound of the FM-X engine in the Montage, So I hope it will be an analog synth engine instead.

We'll just have to wait and see.

;)

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 11:28:32 PM »
Just to set the record straight-- my idle speculation about a possible unveiling of the MODX synths at NAMM Musikmesse Russia appears to be utterly wrong, at least based on what someone who may or may not know and who's not allowed to say more about what he does know has said. (Shorter, less confusing version: Someone said the launch event won't be at NAMM Musikmesse Russia.)

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 12:51:50 AM »
Hi --

Football is wrapping up, so it's back to keyboards.  :)

The mid-range synth line started with the MO, a cut down Motif. The names have progressed through MO, MOX, MOXF, MODX. The preferred Yamaha pronounciation will probably be "MO DX" empasizing continuity with the MO line and FM-X.

I posted an MODX vs. Montage comparison on http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

Amazon accidentally posted a page for an 88 key model (now a 404).

I'm thinking about upgrading my MOX to an MODX. Having a Yamaha synth complements a Yamaha arranger and vice versa. I learn a lot about Yamaha voice programming by deep diving voices on the synth.

Have a good week!

-- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 01:01:07 AM »
Seems like Yamaha releases one or two keyboards in the Fall to catch the holiday sales season.

It's a genuine cycle. In computer-land USA, there are three seasons: back to school, holiday and "Dads and grads." The musical instrument cycle is probably similar with marching band sales driving back to school.

Always glad to have a new keyboard to analyze and discuss!

-- pj

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 02:27:17 AM »
I missed the Amazon page for the MODX8; I would have liked to have saved the photo(s) from it.

I suspected that the Gear4Music page would be taken down, and it was-- but not before it created a bit of a stir, which may have been the whole point (if the "leak" was deliberate).

Offline SciNote

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 03:31:14 AM »
The Gear4Music page in the link in the opening post has worked for me.  It shows a price of 1399... is that pounds for the "L" looking symbol?  And that is for the 76 key version.

"Montage Lite" is exactly what I thought, as well.  If a 61-key version comes out for about $1000 US, that would be pretty cool.  That would be a third of the price of the 61 key Montage.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 05:23:45 AM »
Gosh, you're right-- the link does still work! But I think they removed the page from the "MODX" search results-- unless I was looking at the "US version" of their web site by mistake?

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 09:37:21 AM »
Seems like Yamaha releases one or two keyboards in the Fall to catch the holiday sales season.

It's a genuine cycle. In computer-land USA, there are three seasons: back to school, holiday and "Dads and grads." The musical instrument cycle is probably similar with marching band sales driving back to school.

Always glad to have a new keyboard to analyze and discuss!

-- pj
Yes, it has almost been one year now since the Genos speculations begun, it has became way to quiet on this forum  ;D ;D ;D
A high-end synth at 1000 USD/€... Christmas ain’t far away  8) 8) 8)

Vinciane

Offline voodoo

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 12:34:03 PM »
Look at this:

https://fccid.io/R-REI-ymk-MODX7

Date of Application:   2018-04-13
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 02:34:07 PM »
Look at this:

https://fccid.io/R-REI-ymk-MODX7

Date of Application:   2018-04-13

Hi Uli --

Thanks! Yep, I did catch the application date. Too late for Winter NAMM and Musik Messe. Someone also posted a link to the Montage 2.5 update calling it the "MODX update," so that must have been sync'ing the Montage to the MODX functionality. Some one made a marketing decision to skip Summer NAMM and release in the Fall.

But, d-mn. I searched the FCC ID database last week looking for some other Yamaha thing or two and didn't find that record!

1,400 British Pounds is about $1,800USD. I don't know if the price on Gear4Music is street (MAP) or list (MSRP). The current MSRP for MOXF6 is $1,499 and the MSRP for the MOX8 is $1,999 USD.

A few thoughts keep running through my head. I suspect that the MOXF line is a good seller. It has the sequencer and DAW integration that was lacking in Montage. Will Yamaha keep the MOXF line in addition to MODX? The pricing suggests "No." another point against -- Yamaha has to run out of the old SWP51L tone generator chips eventually. I can't see them making another production run of the old chip. Better to boost volume of the current SWP70.

Always fun to discuss this stuff with like-minded folk!

-- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
BTW, the FCC and KCC MSIP led me down a legal rat hole.

The FCC has "Mutual Recognition Agreements" or "MRAs" with several regions/countries. Korea is a Phase I MRA where Korean certification test results may be submitted to and are recognized by the FCC. The purpose of the MRAs is to improve trade between the USA and the regions/countries covered by the MRAs.

Interesting that Yamaha submitted the Korean testing and not Japanese results... (I have no life.)

-- pj

Offline markstyles

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 08:10:39 PM »
I'm gonna go look at the link now.  I usually deal with Frank at Audioworks.  I've bought Tyros 4,5, and Genos from him.  I paid for the Genos immediately (one month ahead) and I got one of the first 20 units shipped to the East Coast.

Frank was very careful about what he revealed to me.  I would ask a question, and he would tell me, his agreement, and continued dealer relationship of Yamaha hi end products, he couldn't release that information, but would say, I guarentte you'll like it. if not you can return it.  So I think most dealers would be careful about slipping info before hand, they risk losing their distribution from Yamaha, not to say it couldn't happen.

Offline pjd

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 02:30:10 PM »
USA pricing and the MODX Owner's Manual are now available. I've been posting updates to:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-modx-announcement/

I did a quick side-by-side comparison of the MODX manual vs. the Montage manual. The on-screen MODX user interface is nearly the same as the Montage UI. A lot of the differences are due to the elimination of the Montage's front panel switches -- less direct access.

Quick summary -- you get a lot of Montage with lower weight and price. I think Yamaha will sell a lot of there thangs even though the prices are little bit higher than MOXF. Flash expansion modules are now officially EOL (end of life), BTW.

All the best -- pj

P.S. No Data List yet.

Offline Marty

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 07:21:44 PM »
Take a look at the 'Woody Piano Shack' channel on YouTube. He has just unboxxed and given a brief review.

Marty

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 08:18:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01jyFy3jfJ4

Impressive synth.   Nice review.

While i will not buy this synth.   I like the keyboard stand shown on the video . . . it looks like the Ultimate Support APEX AX-48 Pro, will check it out for Genos.

thanks for sharing

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Bill

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »
Yamaha Production Guide available with the MODX review.

http://www.easysounds.eu/MusicProductionGuide_2018_MODX_EN.pdf

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Joe H

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 04:06:25 AM »
Here's an official demo by Yamaha on the MODX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjzwYd0MlvI

Joe H

keynote

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
The Montage will have been out 3 years already come January. Time flies when you're having fun right? ;) The MODX is a great synthesizer from the looks of it. There are obviously some differences vs. the Montage. Less buttons on the panel. No after-touch on the MODX. 192 polyphony vs. 256 for the Montage. More I/O's on the Montage. Better key-bed on the Montage too if I'm not mistaken. But the MODX brings a lot to the table plus with the huge price difference it makes it such a great value vs. the Montage.

My gut reaction is that Yamaha is about to release a Montage successor. Probably by winter NAMM 2020 or thereabouts. When you think about it people will be hard pressed to purchase a Montage now that the MODX is out and offers so much value for the money. Of course a lot of professional musicians need the best equipment so they will continue to buy a Montage vs. the MODX but most people aren't well known professional musicians and that's who Yamaha is marketing the new MODX to in my opinion. So Montage sales will start to decline now that the MODX is out and therefore Yamaha must have something up its sleeve to counter the MODX's sudden popularity. I think Yamaha will sell a boat load of the MODX by the way. It's really a great deal for what you get. Yamaha will rake in the dough but eventually they will need a new TOTL synth to replace the Montage now that the MODX is out which is basically a slightly scaled down version of the Montage from the looks of it. And that's where winter NAMM 2020 comes in according to my estimation. Time will tell.

Here's another YouTube video of the Yamaha MODX

Mike
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:51:37 PM by keynote »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
Yamaha has done a good job of recycling their technology.  The Motif series is an example of that as well as the now legacy XG plug-in cards and then Reface.

So... lets hope that Yamaha will recycle some of the Genos features in a new arranger at a lower price point.  Maybe we will see those 4 encoder knobs and 4 faders from the MODX on the next arranger, and more Live Control options including assignable to a pedal, (and 3 pedal inputs) with the ability to SAVE those settings in a registration.  Also more built-in arps and an arp editor.  The arpeggiator is new to arranger players but they should know that our style Parts and Multi Pads (including drum parts) for every genre of music are just recorded arps.

I'm hopeful that the next arranger will be really somethin'

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:56:35 PM by Joe H »

Offline mysterio FTS

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »
Hi Joe!
That would be nice indeed!!!! :P
Regards.
Mysterio FTS

Bachus

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 02:29:56 PM »
Its more then half a montage..(i dont think many people would miss those features)
And if you can live with the lower end keybeds and no aftertouch.. its just perfect...
Half the weight half the size and less then half the money... for an instruemnt that has virtually the same engine...

Even the missing daw controll will be  patched in, according to bad mister..
And we all know that yamaha synth division does as they promisse, thats what we have seen with the montage...

Fun thing, the modx has exactly all those features i declared missing on the Genos, for it to become that full workstation..

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 04:37:27 PM »
Its more then half a montage..(i dont think many people would miss those features)
And if you can live with the lower end keybeds and no aftertouch.. its just perfect...
Half the weight half the size and less then half the money... for an instruemnt that has virtually the same engine...

Even the missing daw controll will be  patched in, according to bad mister..
And we all know that yamaha synth division does as they promisse, thats what we have seen with the montage...

Fun thing, the modx has exactly all those features i declared missing on the Genos, for it to become that full workstation..

Hi Bachus,

This is exactly the point. Yamaha probably doesn’t want its TOTL arrangers and synths to overlap too much. If the perfect keyboard is out there, who will buy next year’s models...?

Regards,

Vinciane

Offline pjd

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »
BTW, the rest of the MODX manuals are up in the Yamaha manual library. There is also a V1.10 update available for download with a few new (small) features. Yamaha are expected the MODX to be in stores around September 27.

One of the new features arose from a discussion on the YamahaSynth.com forum. It's a quick way to load a WAV/AIFF file into expansion memory and create a key to play the waveform. One of the folks wanted a way to trigger a backing track.

That's where Montage/MODX still lag the competition. Why load the backing track as a waveform? The Montage/MODX can play a WAV/AIFF from a USB drive, but it requires a bunch of menu diving. This is one area where PSR/Genos shine.

Yamaha needs to extend Live Set buttons to remember a Performance (voice), a path to a WAV/AIFF file, audio level and AUTO-start status. A user could then push one button and start playing with a backing track on USB flash drive.

Yamaha needs more performance-minded engineers and the synth guys could learn a lot about convenience from the arranger keyboards, even if they don't make a single, one-size-fits-all keyboard.

All the best -- pj

Bachus

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 03:06:21 PM »
BTW, the rest of the MODX manuals are up in the Yamaha manual library. There is also a V1.10 update available for download with a few new (small) features. Yamaha are expected the MODX to be in stores around September 27.

One of the new features arose from a discussion on the YamahaSynth.com forum. It's a quick way to load a WAV/AIFF file into expansion memory and create a key to play the waveform. One of the folks wanted a way to trigger a backing track.

That's where Montage/MODX still lag the competition. Why load the backing track as a waveform? The Montage/MODX can play a WAV/AIFF from a USB drive, but it requires a bunch of menu diving. This is one area where PSR/Genos shine.

Yamaha needs to extend Live Set buttons to remember a Performance (voice), a path to a WAV/AIFF file, audio level and AUTO-start status. A user could then push one button and start playing with a backing track on USB flash drive.

Yamaha needs more performance-minded engineers and the synth guys could learn a lot about convenience from the arranger keyboards, even if they don't make a single, one-size-fits-all keyboard.

All the best -- pj

I pre ordered a modx, a 61, its a perfect travel companion at that size and weight..  and it loads all the montage performances with 8 or less tracks, which is about 99,9% of them..

It also makes a nice topboard for the genos...

Yet is still think that both modx and genos in one case would make a perfect keyboard for many many people..  only having 8 parts under your keyboard, with multiple splits and layers is a dream come true...

Offline pjd

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 03:13:27 PM »
Hi Bachus --

Good luck and hope your MODX comes in soon. I'll buy one, but I need to deal off the S950. As much as I like the S950, I need the space!  :D

All the best -- pj

Bachus

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2018, 02:46:55 PM »
Hi Bachus --

Good luck and hope your MODX comes in soon. I'll buy one, but I need to deal off the S950. As much as I like the S950, I need the space!  :D

All the best -- pj

You can trade it against my kurzweil pc3x, which is gathering dust..
But that takes even more place...

Bedj

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 12:21:46 AM »
  Looking forward to at last a demo with acoustic instruments !
  It's like as if the MODX was only a FM synth engine !!!

It is not, it is also a rompler with many "normal" instruments.
  I am personaly curious to know whether the MODX has new acoustic samples, or they come either from the Moxf or the
  Montage (or from both, and in what proportion) ?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:34:20 AM by Bedj »

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 02:58:10 AM »
Hello, Bedj, I agree with you. in all youtube videos, they always show many sounds, textures, and transition effects of synthesizer with the super knob. I have not heard, for example: a saxophones, English horns, camera strings, symphonic strings, different brass sounds (trombones, trumpets, French horn). the only acoustic thing I've heard is the CFX-Grand piano sound. and from what I understand the workstations like Montage or MODX, they can faithfully emulate any acoustic instrument, since they come equipped with deep editing tools.  Only my opinion.  Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline pjd

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 01:31:22 PM »
Hi Bedj --

I should get paid by Yamaha... :-)

The MODX has exactly the same Performances (voices) and waveforms as the Montage.

The acoustic instruments are excellent, using the same waveforms as Genos -- just programmed differently. (The Genos, by the way, is a superset of Montage/MODX, waveform-wise)

The Montage and MODX also have every voice and waveform from the Motif XF and MOXF.

I play an MOX6 at my church gig which depends quite heavily on acoustic instruments, especially orchestral instruments. The Montage/MODX is definitely a big step up from the MOX. I would have bought a Montage except for its weight.

Here are two tables showing the new waveforms in Motif XF and Montage versus the XF/MOX:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/montage-new-waveforms/

And my first review of Montage:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/montage-initial-review/

Hope this helps -- pj

Bedj

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »
Hello hans,
Yes it is so. It shows that most musicians, especially younger ones, are more interested nowadays in EDM and therefore mostly synths. And maybe also that "acoustic" song writters, jazz and Classical musicians, all possibly a little older, are not that much Youtube users ?
I like to use synth sounds too sometimes, but they are more on the "soft" side, like here in this very short exemple (min 16.45) with pad and lead on the Moxf,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwd9OKOThDc&t=1402s

Hi pjd,
Thanks for all the valuable infos.
I have been thinking of buying a Moxf6 for months. Thanks to Paolo Lombardi's demos, i was conviced and about to get one, but now the MODX is out and i understand it is, as far as sound quality is concerned, a much better choice.
The "problem" is the quite limited midi sequencer in the MODX vs the one in the Moxf, and my goal buying a workstation was to stop using my pc as much as possible.
Tough choice because i find the acoustic instruments (plus a few others), in the Moxf, already quite good (better than on the Mox, from what i have read).

https://www.youtube.com/user/paolol67/videos

I wonder if (commercially speaking) there are chances that Yamaha will upgrade the functions of the midi sequencer in the MODX and/or Montage in a near future, (since i understand it is the same one on both) ?

Cheers !  Bedj

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:15:48 PM by Bedj »

Offline hans1966

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 06:46:26 PM »
Hi Bedj, I really do not like to use external sequence software to create MIDI tracks. personally  it seems to me complicated. I love using the internal keyboard sequencer, to create favorite songs and styles and this I can do in my S770, because everything is easy and at hand.  Greetings.  Hans
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:54:10 PM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Bachus

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »

I picked up my pre-ordered moxd 6 yesterday..
I plann on using it exclusively with my ipad, as kijd of a travel setup..

So far, it works really well..
I run beatmaker 3, cubasis and gadget as the core of my setup
With quite a nice collection of AU (vst) units..
The audio over usb makes the ipad feel as part of the Modx.

The modx itselves is an incredible machine..
It works just as intuitive as the montage..
Same sounds, performances and arps inside..
Limitations:
-physical knobs/sliders, but only miss them on organ patches
-only 26 instead of 34 insert effects, looks like a no issue so far
-64 voice polyphony for fm, neither an issue for me
-sss only 4 voices, which is an issue, as i like to stack sounds
-no aftertouch.. whic is a dislike for me, espescially the way i tend to use this synth.

What makes me smile when using is is the interface..
When you know how the AWM2 sound engines works..
Its so easy to edit and create new sounds..
And there is 1GB for user samples..the 450MB bösendorf is incredible..
So far its been mostly mix and match..  and enjoying he arps..

What i miss is an arranger part..  strangely there still is no high end arranger app for ipad
Makes me womder why the yamaha piano partner app does not work with modx/montage?
I think modx brings a whole slew of new players onboard thanwould definately like a good arranger..
And the piano partner could help a lot here, as well as all the other features it offers..
(Excluding the sound edditing which is allready covered indepth on the keyoard itselves)

But i guess that will never happen the way yamaha strictly splits their divisions..
Another thing i would love o see is an arranger module based on Genos.
With some small changes on modx side, it could integrate extremely well with modx..
Adding he missing workstation features from moxf and more...

beykock

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2018, 03:17:27 PM »
Hi Bachus,

Congratulations with your new baby synth.💐

A Genos module will never come.
Wishful thinking, I guess.💀

Babette

Bachus

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2018, 05:33:05 PM »

A Genos module will never come.
Wishful thinking, I guess.💀

Babette

And you know is because you have inside information from the Yamaha headquarters?

5 years ago people on this forum said, a 76 key Tyros will never come..
And 2 years ago everyone said, a top model witouth tilting screen is not possible..

Point is: you never know what you are gonna get..
The keyboard market is a continually changing market..

There many things in this €1200 keyboard that would make great features in the Genos 2..
Pretty much everything on my orriginal Genos wish list is in this instrument..
And yes, its incredible fun to play with..
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:36:05 PM by Bachus »

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2018, 06:59:37 PM »
Hi Bachus,

Congratulations for your new keyboard.

Would you consider doing a demo for the forum members? We are all curious about the MODX.

Regards,

Vinciane

Offline pjd

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »
Hi Bachus --

Good news, dude, and best of luck with your new instrument! Thanks for the quick report.

-- pj

Bachus

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »
Hi Bachus --

Good news, dude, and best of luck with your new instrument! Thanks for the quick report.

-- pj

Thanks PJ

I ook a day off today..
And i am still hooked..
Its a typical yamaha instrument..
So intuitive to use..

When i am done playing and enjoying myself
I will do a nice follow up review

beykock

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2018, 09:49:25 PM »
Hi Bachus,

Like you I am not aware of Yamaha's production plans.

Yamaha have never made an arranger keyboard module, as far as I know. 
Voice and/or synth modules only, IMHO.

But you are right ... one never knows.
It will be hard to convince them to produce a Genos module though, I guess.

Babette

Bachus

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »
Hi Bachus,

Like you I am not aware of Yamaha's production plans.

Yamaha have never made an arranger keyboard module, as far as I know. 
Voice and/or synth modules only, IMHO.

But you are right ... one never knows.
It will be hard to convince them to produce a Genos module though, I guess.

Babette

You can’t convince yamaha to do anything
Only if there is enough market for a product,
Then they will bite the bullet and create it..
Not if a handfull people wishes so..

beykock

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
Wait and see, Bachus.
Time will tell.

Babette

Offline voodoo

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2018, 10:09:22 PM »
Hi together,

I got my MODX7 two days ago. It is an incredible machine and a perfect complement for the Genos. It is so portable and has so great sounds. I like it very much.

I am impressed by the following features:

* It is much more portable than the Genos. Only 7 kg and much smaller.
* It offers so many highly usable layer sounds with three or more layers, all of them can be balanced using the super knob. Piano + Pad + Strings + E-Piano. Perfect for live play.
* The standard organ sound uses real drawbars, adjustable by the sliders, has real Leslie controlled by the mod wheel, and has overdrive controlled by the super knob. Just perfect.
* Like the Genos, the MODX uses a mode-less operating mode. No switching between style, song, voice, multi etc. Just one, all patches are performances containing one ore up to eight parts.
* The contained samples for Piano, Boesendorfer or Rhodes are using five velocity layers plus additional layers for damper and additional key off samples.

Of course it has
* no styles
* no ensemble voices
* no super articulation voices (but XA voices)
* no fsx Key bed
* no easy GM midi or mp3 playback

So for around 1200€ this is a really perfect sound machine and a perfect add on for the Genos.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

beykock

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »
Congratulations, Uli !💐

Babette

Bachus

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
Hi together,

I got my MODX7 two days ago. It is an incredible machine and a perfect complement for the Genos. It is so portable and has so great sounds. I like it very much.

I am impressed by the following features:

* It is much more portable than the Genos. Only 7 kg and much smaller.
* It offers so many highly usable layer sounds with three or more layers, all of them can be balanced using the super knob. Piano + Pad + Strings + E-Piano. Perfect for live play.
* The standard organ sound uses real drawbars, adjustable by the sliders, has real Leslie controlled by the mod wheel, and has overdrive controlled by the super knob. Just perfect.
* Like the Genos, the MODX uses a mode-less operating mode. No switching between style, song, voice, multi etc. Just one, all patches are performances containing one ore up to eight parts.
* The contained samples for Piano, Boesendorfer or Rhodes are using five velocity layers plus additional layers for damper and additional key off samples.

Of course it has
* no styles
* no ensemble voices
* no super articulation voices (but XA voices)
* no fsx Key bed
* no easy GM midi or mp3 playback

So for around 1200€ this is a really perfect sound machine and a perfect add on for the Genos.

Uli

You are as enthousiast as i am..

Let me add to that list of impressive features some other things missing on Genos..
- 8 sounds which can be split and stacked freely all around the keybed
- 2 insert dsp/ sound.. for even more dsp power
- An arp for every one of those 8 sounds on the keybed.. also 8 motion sequencers
- audio over usb which is huge for daw and ipad integration.
- the incredible interface not just for making the basic setup (8 mixer parts)
- but also for deep edditing and creating new sounds
- seemless sound switching for up to 8 sounds..
- you can assign multiple parameters to superknob... and the fc7 Pedal..
- when you select a part thats not assigned to the keybed.. you can solo it

Sure there are no styles...
As its a synth..

Yet for the future of genos..
I would love to see all these features added to it..
It would turn the Genos in the pro instrument one expects for €4600
Its a strange thing a €1000 instrument has so many great features and tools not on the Genos..

Make it so that people on Genos can choose for sounds between the easy current interface..
And the more advanced moxd interface with 8 sounds, deep edditing..
And the audio over usb for daw integration is the single most asked for high end feature on Genos..

The following users thanked this post: hans1966