Author Topic: i finger mode question  (Read 6152 times)

ekurburski

i finger mode question
« on: August 23, 2018, 06:32:49 PM »
reading the lessons on playing single finger chords it explains everything in relation to the c chord.  to play a c minor play the c and one black note to the left.  How about the flat chords?  How do I play a eb min or ebm7?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: i finger mode question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:10:33 PM »
reading the lessons on playing single finger chords it explains everything in relation to the c chord.  to play a c minor play the c and one black note to the left.  How about the flat chords?  How do I play a eb min or ebm7?

Same way. Just count the semitones.

Cmaj is CEG = up 4 semis (from the name of the chord) then up 3. To add the 7th is up another 4.
Cm is up 3 then up 4.

The minor chord is not “a black key to the left”, it’s moving the middle note one semitone down.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
Don't think you understood my question Fred.  I know how to play the fingered chords.  My problem is the arthritis is getting so bad in the hands …...(particularly in the left hand) that I can't play them anymore.  I can play with one finger though.  even 2 and usually 3 so thinking of switching my style of playing.  I just need to know how to play the flat chords in ine finger mode as well.  Maybe I should just go to the keyboard and experiment till I figure it out!

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »
The Genos manual (page 46) provides the following examples for single finger chords:

C = Root key only
Cm = Root key + black key to the left
C7 = Root key + white key to the left
Cm7= Root key + white key to the left + black key to the left

Therefore to play Eb, i think you would play 

Eb = Root key only  (E flat or D sharp alone)
Ebm = Root key + black key to the left  (E flat + D flat)
Ebm7 = Root key + white key to the left + black key to the left ((E flat + D+ D flat)

i do not play single chords, so i am not entirely sure but i think that's it.

Hope this helps.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 01:00:24 AM »
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 03:28:59 PM »
Hi, I use single finger chords. If you have the keyboard set to multifinger chord you have to use the note immediately below the root note . For example if you were to play a c7 you would play the C and the D below it.However if your keyboard is set to single finger chord you can use any white note below the root note for 7th or any white and black note for minor.
Hope this helps
Dave

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »
Sorry I note a mistake in my last reply. If you play a C7 you would play C and the B below not a D as I put in my last reply.

Offline gary3917

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 06:39:50 PM »
Sorry I note a mistake in my last reply. If you play a C7 you would play C and the B below not a D as I put in my last reply.
I was getting worried there LOL
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
Mackie DLM8 Keyboard stereo Powered speakers and subwoofer