Author Topic: Speaker comparision  (Read 4774 times)

Offline elvisfigredo

Speaker comparision
« on: August 23, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
Hi Everybody, I have a request to ask the forum members. I have the Genos plus the matching speakers and the HK Audio Nano300. Somehow the Nano 300 sounds boxy to me in comparison to the Genos speakers. My EQ setting is flat for both systems and the compressor is set to Rich. Any comments and help will be greatly appreciated. I like the sound from the Genos speakers so I am trying to get the same sound from the Nano300. Any suggestions?

In the mean time thanks to all who share their knowledge on this forum.

Cheers to all

From Down Under.

Elvis J Figredo

Offline ugawoga

Re: Speaker comparision
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
Hi

I would say you  get what you pay for.
I spent nearly a £1000 0n Yamaha Dxr 8's and they sound quality at home. Also you could fill a small hall with them.
Just because they are high powered, does not mean blast you to kingdom come.
They have high quality amps in them and at low volume unbelievable. Also you do not need a bass speaker.
Another thing Is, they have front bass ports, so no wall rebound In the corners.
They do take a little tuning to get exactly what you want, but using flat eq and normal compression on the Genos brings them to life.
Because they are higher powered , I did have to buy a hum eliminator for £20 from amazon and It stopped all electrical nasties from the mains and wiring.
Again only small adjustments to your liking. Just take a look at the Guarantee on them!!
In my opinion the Yamaha satalite speakers are a rip off. Boxy and tiny with a boom box at your feet

Just consider this
--- If you buy the next three Genos, you would pay £300 for each speaker system that goes with It. So after that It would cost you a £1000 at least.
The Dxr 8's will last me out at 67. They are built like a tank. I love everything from Soul, prog rock,pop and electronic interesting music.
The moral of the story for me is you get what you pay for and It is no good running a Rolls Royce on a mini engine.
It Is all Yamaha and matching perfect.

ALL THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY!! :)

All the Best
John 8)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:40:49 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:38:39 AM »
Hello Elvis,
  You say you like the sound from your genos speakers as many of us do. I don't know anything about the Nano 300 but what do you want to use these for. If for small gigs then the Stage pass 400 are very good and because they are also Yamaha are matched very well.

The following users thanked this post: elvisfigredo

Mike2

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:41:39 AM »
I also have the genos and Lucas Nano 300. Make sure the number 1 - 2 - 3 are set to half.
Also the small switch between the knobs on number 2 is set for guitar, slide it towards that.
Under sub knob that it is set to A. Under the balance knob set it to the little picture of 2 satellites speakers  on a pole.
The speaker cables have to be for speakers. I use a #14 gauge wire, plugged into speaker out. The instrument cables plug into the 1/4 inch jack right behind the 2 number 2 knob buttons. I have the Master EQ set to loudness. You can play around with that, and choose the one you like.
My speakers are on poles, about 50 inches high, 5 1/2 to 6 feet apart in front of me about 6 inches behind the keyboard. My room is 10 x 12. So this can differ on room size acoustics etc. Hope this helps.
Mike..

Mike2

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 11:57:38 AM »
One more thing, I keep the sub on my right side right under the keyboard, facing right. To close to the wall doesn't sound as good.
This of course is all subjective to the listener playing.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:39:06 PM »
Eileen asked the most important question: what do you use the speakers for? The answer could be, from playing in a small den to an outdoor venue with 1,000 people. If the Genos speakers sound great in the room in which you are playing and that's the limit to your playing, then you're good to go. If you're gigging, then there's a million choices - some good, some bad :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad, elvisfigredo

Mike2

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
I use the Nano 300 for home, and if I want to gig for a small crowd of about 300 it is more than enough. When I had the Tyros-5 I has those speakers that came with the tyros. They sounded ok, but nothing like the Nano 300 that I had. The bass is deeper, and more solid. And the stereo effects are much more noticeable with the 2 satellites with horizontal dispersion angle. They sounded great with the T-5, but with the genos, it's very good. I play in a 12 x 10 room, and it's not over powering.  I noticed by spreading the satellites about 5 1/2 feet apart increases the stereo effect. This unit is not expensive. You can purchase one on e-bay for under $500 us dollars. I can set this whole thing up in less than 5 minutes. The satellites snap into the sub, so you cary everything in one hand, except the cables and stands. It's all in what one wants and likes...

Offline elvisfigredo

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 08:31:23 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Thank you all very much for your replies and advice. Much appreciated.

John thanks for your analysis and input. I don't want studio monitors but I understand exactly what you are advising.

Eileen, thank you too. I use the Nano 300 for church and I'm trying to get the Nano 300 to have the same tonal quality of the Genos speakers.

Mike, thank you also for your reply. Sliding the knob to Guitar makes it Mono doesent it? I want to keep the Stereo image.

Lee Batchelor, thank you too for your post. Yes for other Gigs I have other gear.

Thank you all once again for your posts.

Cheers from Down Under,
Elvis J Figredo

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 09:59:48 AM »
Hi Elvis
DXR 8's are not studio monitors.
I purchased these for quality listening..
They even sound better than my studoi monitors being an old pair of Tapco monitors.

all the best
john ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Mike2

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
Elvis , sliding the switch to the guitar makes a big difference, and also the 2 knobs for number 1, that small switch needs to be set to the equalizer not the mic. While you play a chord with the left hand, anything, let it play than switch those switches opposite, and you will see a drop in the quality.
Hope this helps.