Author Topic: Genos vibratoh  (Read 5222 times)

kmspecialties

Genos vibratoh
« on: August 23, 2018, 02:09:38 AM »
Just got my genos today it’s great with the exception of 1 thing the vibrato is really terrible what am i
doing wrong.i have a Hammond B3 and a viscount legend which have authentic vibrato sounds. The genos vibrato sounds like zither from the 80’s what am I doing wrong
Bob

Re: Genos vibratoh
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:22:51 PM »
Bob, can you expand a bit on what you are trying to do? What voice are you applying vibrato to? I assume one of the non-draw bar organs? Please let us know. Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »
Hi.
Congrats with your new Genos.  :)

Lots of possabilities to edit, maybe a look at this video is for some help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GItcjf144vM

There are also some organ expansion packs from several providers to add if any interest.
I.e. as this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oELf4TSlGok

Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline markstyles

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 03:11:32 PM »
Having used a Hammond B3 and a Leslie speaker in a band when a young man.  It in my opinion, is impossible to get as good a sound, unless using that equipment. However, we have to adapt to what Yamaha has offered us, to use.  It is possible to blend in their  organ, and get a passable organ sound in a style/mix.  Yes, I agree with you, about the sound.

I even bought an expensive stomp box supposed to give the Leslie sound, while it was a slight improvement, it was not worth the effort of incorporating it into my set-up.  I also did the same with a wah-wah pedal, a slight improvement, but not worth all the work.
The Genos's job is to create as best an over-all sound as possible at a certain price point.  But the beauty of a B3, live in real-time is that it's speakers are spinning spitting sound all over the room, and those sound waves are bouncing around, surrounding you in a sea of moving sound, harmonics etc. You can't recreate that with the sound coming from two sources (left, right speakers)..

My advice is to pick thru the organs, till you find, the one that best suits your needs.  Since my favoring sound is a B3, Leslie rock'n'roll, Jimmy Smith sound.  I don't  find the organ packs highly desirable for my needs. But many will, if they play different organs, church music etc.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 02:01:19 PM »
I even bought an expensive stomp box supposed to give the Leslie sound, while it was a slight improvement, it was not worth the effort of incorporating it into my set-up.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here Mark, in the friendliest way possible. :)

I was trained on Hammond organs starting at age 5; M3, B3, C3 , A100, etc. Just stating that so it's evident I have many years under my belt and a trained ear and fingers used to how these instruments play, react, and sound.

As I stated in a couple of other threads, I was really unhappy with the organs in the Genos when I got it. There are a couple, which are sampled with the Leslie that aren't half bad, but you can't ramp up the Leslie and work it in real time as it's baked into the sample. I wanted the coolness of having the drawbars and the awesome control of a superior Leslie emulation.

Thanks to Soryt, I got an Electro Harmonix Lester K pedal and hooked it up. It wasn't hard to do at all, and MAN, what a difference! It really brought the drawbars to life. BIG difference for a measley $178.

Does it sound EXACTLY like standing next to my old 147? Of course not, but it does sound really darn close to how it sounded when mic'd up really well. It's definitely satisfying to this old organ grinder, and a really picky one at that. :)

So, from my perspective...not expensive, not difficult, HUGE improvement, and a HUGE boost to the fun factor.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »
As I stated in a couple of other threads, I was really unhappy with the organs in the Genos when I got it. There are a couple, which are sampled with the Leslie that aren't half bad, but you can't ramp up the Leslie and work it in real time as it's baked into the sample. I wanted the coolness of having the drawbars and the awesome control of a superior Leslie emulation.

Amen, brothers and sisters!

If Yamaha's engineers can't improve their proprietary effect algorithm (e.g., the new algorithm in the Montage and Genos), then it's time to license better technology.

Thanks for keeping the requirement for top-notch rotary speaker emulation in the spotlight -- pj

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 11:25:20 AM »
Thanks for keeping the requirement for top-notch rotary speaker emulation in the spotlight -- pj

You bet pj. I am having SO much FUN now with the organs! I'm rocking the house off the foundations! :)

Offline voodoo

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »
Thanks to Soryt, I got an Electro Harmonix Lester K pedal and hooked it up. It wasn't hard to do at all, and MAN, what a difference! It really brought the drawbars to life. BIG difference for a measley $178.

Thanks for this report. But what do you think about the Neo (Mini) Vent II? Is the Lester K better? Or is it just the lower price, which makes it more attractive?

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
But what do you think about the Neo (Mini) Vent II? Is the Lester K better? Or is it just the lower price, which makes it more attractive?

Double that (thanks Uli). I'm getting the itch and need to scratch!  :D  :D

-- pj

Offline StuartR

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »
Thanks for this report. But what do you think about the Neo (Mini) Vent II? Is the Lester K better? Or is it just the lower price, which makes it more attractive?

Uli

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I found a used Neo Vent (original model) and have integrated it into my Genos. I believe the Neo offers more Leslie control than the Lester and costs more as well. All I can say is that if you can find a used Vent at a reasonable price, grab it. Hearing the rotor slowly ramp up and down via foot pedal during a blues tune makes it all worth while.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 02:24:47 AM »

I can't answer that as I've never tried a Vent. I did hear many demos on YouTube, same as the Lester. I chose to start witht he Lester because it sounded pretty darn good in all the demos and it was the best price.

I like what I have so much I see no reason to go and buy anything else. :)

The following users thanked this post: pjd