Author Topic: DISCOVERY: Playing S975 through the Bose L1 Compact  (Read 5005 times)

Offline RoyceM

DISCOVERY: Playing S975 through the Bose L1 Compact
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:07:51 PM »
I think I am in the midst of a breakthrough discovery...for myself, at least.

Background:

When I first got the S975, I reassigned bass instruments of many of my legacy song styles in which the acoustic bass did not sound good. At the same time, I was lowering the bass volume from what I had been using when playing through my CPS Spacestation v.3.

When I got the Bose L1 Compact, I was disturbed at how boomy it seemed as I visited various venues (regardless of speaker placement).

Discovery:

I am beginning to theorize that if I lower the bass volume a little more, not only does the boominess go away, but other sounds improve as though excessive bass volume had been masking nuances of other instrument voices. (My audiences like the softer sounds rather than the in-your-face punchy sounds.)

At yesterday's gig, I adjusted every song's style's bass setting down an additional 5-clicks, just to hear what would happen. I was pleasantly surprised (and relieved). Can't wait to do the same in several other venues in order to double check whether this will continue to hold true.

Anybody else have input regarding this?

- Royce

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:59:44 PM by RoyceM »
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline Toril S

Re: DISCOVERY: Playing S975 through the Bose L1 Compact
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:41:30 PM »
I did something simular. It is also worth trying to set the keyboard on flat. With the Bose it is also very important how you place it in a room. If it is too close to a wall it will sound more boomy.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 11:39:27 PM »

Discovery:

I am beginning to theorize that if I lower the bass volume a little more, not only does the boominess go away, but other sounds improve as though excessive bass volume had been masking nuances of other instrument voices. (My audiences like the softer sounds rather than the in-your-face punchy sounds.)

At yesterday's gig, I adjusted every song's style's bass setting down an additional 5-clicks, just to hear what would happen. I was pleasantly surprised (and relieved). Can't wait to do the same in several other venues in order to double check whether this will continue to hold true.

- Royce

UPDATE

I just completed my gig calendar for the month and now have played the S975 through the Compact in a good variety of venues.

I think what I expressed above is holding true for me. I still have to be creative in how I adjust the EQ and Compressor, but still the overall sound quality is improved with less powerful bass, relative to settings I had been using within my styles.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
I’ve struggled with the same issue.  Bass can be a problem child.  Generally, I deal with that via my external mixer, with its own stereo inputs for the S975, along with EQ, effects, and compression within the mixer.

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 11:45:28 PM »
I’ve struggled with the same issue.  Bass can be a problem child.  Generally, I deal with that via my external mixer, with its own stereo inputs for the S975, along with EQ, effects, and compression within the mixer.

Hmm...very interesting, Larry. I would like to learn more about this since I've never used a mixer. Which mixer do you use?

Does it add control beyond that of the S975, or is it just more convenient?

- Royce
PSR Performer page

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 02:00:02 AM »
Royce, way back when I was performing with a PSR-500 and PSR-5700 on a stacked keyboard stand, I was using a 600-watt, stereo, powered mixer that had all the effects. Back then, the keyboards didn't have EQ settings available so that's what we were stuck with.

Well, it was a good news, bad news situation, at least for me. If during a live performance I had to adjust the EQ settings, I had to look away from the keyboard and audience to adjust the powered mixer effects settings, which were perched on a stand about 3 feet away and often in a darkened setting - WHOOPS! Sometimes you inadvertently turned the wrong knob and damned near blew the heads off those sitting close to the speakers.

Today's arranger keyboards allow you to do all this on the fly while not interrupting your view of the audience or keyboard. It's so very easy to do and can be done with a minimal amount of button pushing. I've been known to do this while singing and playing a song.

The problem is that room acoustics often change was crowd noise increases, more people enter the room, and dancers enter the dance floor, which is directly in the line of fire for the speakers. Doing this with an external mixer, IMO, is a PITA. It is something that only takes a few seconds on the keyboard.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: RoyceM

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 07:02:54 AM »
Thanks, Gary.

- Royce
PSR Performer page

Offline Dnj

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
record yourself playing songs and listen to what the bass sounds like ......then make adjustments..

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 08:48:15 PM »
I’ve got a couple of Behringer mixers----a small one for solo gigs and a larger one with the band.  Either way, I always run my S975 in stereo through dedicated inputs for the arranger.  I tinker with the high, mid, and low controls until it seems right for the room.  The larger mixer has a graphic EQ, as well, which helps.  Without the mixer, i.e., running straight to powered speakers-----everything sounds dull and lifeless to me.  At the moment, the arranger is set on “punchy” compression.  Like others have said, experimentation helps.  It’s amazing how each room can be so different.