Author Topic: Copying files in registration banks  (Read 7493 times)

worldofmelody

Copying files in registration banks
« on: August 22, 2018, 07:30:39 PM »
Having a little problem on my new PSR-S975 …. trying to copy a file from one registration memory bank to another.  I'm following the directions on pp. 30 - 31 in the manual for "copying or moving files".  But when I get to the last step (#7) the "paste" button continues to be greyed-out.  Any advice ?

Online Fred Smith

Re: Copying files in registration banks
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 08:03:21 PM »
Having a little problem on my new PSR-S975 …. trying to copy a file from one registration memory bank to another.  I'm following the directions on pp. 30 - 31 in the manual for "copying or moving files".  But when I get to the last step (#7) the "paste" button continues to be greyed-out.  Any advice ?

After you press Copy, you must select the file(s) you want copied. Selecting the file ahead of time doesn’t work.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline AlBags

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »

Is it like Tyros5? Sounds like it. Fred's right.

Copy, select File(s), OK, Browse & select to User or Usb, paste.

Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

worldofmelody

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:38:37 PM »
After you press Copy, you must select the file(s) you want copied. Selecting the file ahead of time doesn’t work.

Hope this helps,
Fred

Hi -  Thanks for getting back to me but that is something I was already doing, following steps 3 and 4 on p. 31.  Step 6 seems a little fuzzy,  "If necessary, select the destination folder …. ".  That would seem totally necessary, to pick a destination for the file.  However, after doing that I'm still not able to do step 7 because the "paste" button is greyed out.  Another step that seems a little unclear is step 4:  "Press the (ALL) button to select …."  When I do that, the button changes to  "All Off" which may be OK but it just seems peculiar wording.  Hmmm….

worldofmelody

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:48:04 PM »
Is it like Tyros5? Sounds like it. Fred's right.

Copy, select File(s), OK, Browse & select to User or Usb, paste.

Al.

"Browse and select to User or USB" …. the only tab showing is "User" so I assume that bit doesn't apply to me here ?

Offline AlBags

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:57:39 PM »

If all you have is a USER folder, and no usb, then yes, correct.

I'm still thinking about original problem. I d/loaded manuals to look, but what I think we need now is another user to test.
Tried copying any others?

Al.

worldofmelody

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 10:37:56 PM »
If all you have is a USER folder, and no usb, then yes, correct.

I'm still thinking about original problem. I d/loaded manuals to look, but what I think we need now is another user to test.
Tried copying any others?

Al.

OK, I just now tried working with two others -- copying from one folder into another one.  Same problem, the "paste" button is greyed-out …. 

Can I just check on something with you, please --  on page 31 of the manual, in #1, it says "In the File Selection display, select the appropriate …."   On page 28 is a discussion of the  "File Selection Display Configuration" but they are only referring to the files for voice, style and song.  I've been assuming that for what I'm doing, working with the registration bank files, that I need to be in the files you see when you press both the registration bank buttons together ( + and - ).  Correct ?  Just a thought but I'm trying to think of every possibility here !

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 11:15:13 PM »
Press Button "J" and highlight the registration you want to copy. Press copy and then select User or USB and then press Paste.

Offline AlBags

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:48 PM »

Hi ...

Eileen is in a better position to check your problem.
I have a Genos, and just the manual to look at.

Al.

worldofmelody

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 12:28:26 AM »
Press Button "J" and highlight the registration you want to copy. Press copy and then select User or USB and then press Paste.

Pressing "J" …. ?  I only have 5 registration banks so far (on left side of the "registration bank" file) so there's nothing on the right side of the file where "J" is.  I'm hearing both here in the forum and in the manual, the words "select User or USB" but that option never appears for me in the registration bank file I'm in, only "User".  Don't know if that's an issue.  I'm starting to think that maybe what I'm trying to do is not possible ….. I'm trying to copy a registration file from one bank into another bank and am never getting the option to "paste" (it's there but always greyed-out).

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 12:56:01 AM »
Pressing "J" …. ?  I only have 5 registration banks so far (on left side of the "registration bank" file) so there's nothing on the right side of the file where "J" is.  I'm hearing both here in the forum and in the manual, the words "select User or USB" but that option never appears for me in the registration bank file I'm in, only "User".  Don't know if that's an issue.  I'm starting to think that maybe what I'm trying to do is not possible ….. I'm trying to copy a registration file from one bank into another bank and am never getting the option to "paste" (it's there but always greyed-out).

The problem is we don’t understand what you want to do. You keep saying "copy a registration file from one bank to another", but a registration bank is a file. You can copy a bank from one folder to another, or you can copy a registration button from one file to another.

If it’s the latter you want to do, here are the steps:
1. Load your source bank.
2. Press your source registration button.
3. Load your target bank. Do not press any if its buttons
4. Press Memory, and your target button.
5. Save the bank.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

worldofmelody

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 01:47:53 AM »
The problem is we don’t understand what you want to do. You keep saying "copy a registration file from one bank to another", but a registration bank is a file. You can copy a bank from one folder to another, or you can copy a registration button from one file to another.

If it’s the latter you want to do, here are the steps:
1. Load your source bank.
2. Press your source registration button.
3. Load your target bank. Do not press any if its buttons
4. Press Memory, and your target button.
5. Save the bank.

Hope this helps,
Fred

YES !!  Thanks for your patience, all of you.  So it was a terminology problem !  I was calling a "set up" a file when the fact is that you put "set up's" INTO a file.  And so your suggestion that I could "copy a registration button (a set up) from one file to another" is precisely what I've been wanting to do.  Apologies, I must pay more attention to Yamaha's terminology.  I followed your directions, Fred,  and bingo, problem solved ! 

(Probably don't need to explain now, but I can tell you I have a bank of neat bossa nova "set up's" (!) and earlier today was playing  "And I Love Her" (old Beatles tune) and one of the set up's works perfectly with it.  So wanted to just move it in with a bunch of other tunes I play regularly.  Long-winded explanation there !)

Ah.  Many thanks.  I'm determined to get a handle on this wonderful little machine and really appreciate knowing you people are out there and have the answers (if I can pose the right question !)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 02:10:41 AM »
Sometimes a problem is that a member makes up their own terminology (because they don't know the proper terms)... it gets real confusing. I was guilty of that as well way back when I first bought my S910.

It takes a while to learn these complex keyboards.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline AlBags

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 02:30:41 AM »

Thank goodness that's sorted!
Just stay away from 'setups' 😂
Registration .. bank ... button. OK.

Glad it's sorted.

Al.