Author Topic: Genos Multi Recording process  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Depo1964

Genos Multi Recording process
« on: August 22, 2018, 05:24:30 PM »
Seems that I've been hogging a lot of space up with all of my questions....
But I have been spending a lot of time recently on my Genos.... so here is another question...  or observation?

I wonder if Genos uses the 32 bit floating process, or if it is even relevant.
For instance,  I know that most DAWs use 32 bit float when recording audio,
but is that analogous only to computer recording?  I admit that I don't know that much about it.

I do know that when  I record on the Genos in Multi Record mode and listen to the output,
most of the time the levels seem too high.....

Does anyone know what Yamaha  means by the 90 on top of the Faders in Multi Recording mode?
Couldn't find anything in the manuals.
Is it 90% to 0dB?

I don't touch these meters when recording.
I wish that the meters had more detail... or better yet that the Genos was able to record in 32 bit float mode.... or am I talking nonsense?

Offline AlBags

Re: Genos Multi Recording process
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:21:11 PM »

Hi ..
Very steep learning curve is Genos, even after T5.
Not even tried recording on mine yet .. practicing on playing it well first.
Someone here will be an expert on these answers tho!

Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline markstyles

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:32:40 PM »
I wouldn't mess with bit depth.  Logic Pro will only let you choose 24 or 16 bit.  Logic does upgrade to 32 bit, for processing audio, running thru it's filers, reverbs, etc.

but it returns it to 24 bit (or 16) when you output. 

So in Logic, you only have the choice of 16 or 24 bit recording, you can select sample rates, 44.1K up to 192K

Don't know what each DAW does.. I do believe some DAWS offer you more choices.

If  your using Genos digital out, you have to set your DAW to accept that (or it might do it automatically)..  I tried Genos digital out, going thru my old but expensive RME Fireface 800.. But, the Genos audio out, seems slightly clearer, and a lower noise floor than the Tyros, so I usually just use the audio outs.  You can get really anal about noise floors, sampling rate, bit depth. You can spend many thousands of cleaner A/D and D/A converters too.. 

And then you can go listen to a well recorded and mastered song from the 1950's, and ask yourself, 'Why am I spending all my money and making myself crazy..
Setting your levels carefully, and getting a good arrangement and performance are far more important.

Different folks have different opinions about sample rate. Some set up to highest (192K I guess).. But then your files are 4 times larger, and that presents a more work for your CPU..

Different studies, claim, you can't hear the difference over 24 bit. Other studies, and individuals claim they can.. When you reduce it to mp3, 4, other formats, and ear buds, I don't

If you are recording incredible music and want to be able to re-master, if a newer cleaner format comes out. I would go for the higher your DAW can do..
I've made a number of CD's, records, TV commercials,  I make it 24 bit, 44.1K  I think 24 bit, 48K format is pretty popular.

Then if you get all crazy about this stuff, it's  pointless if you have a $400 speaker set-up..  I  spent about $2,000 a number of years ago on Genelec 8040A's. I love them. I can hear that the acoustic guitar player needs to file his wedding ring finger, if he is playing without a pick.. In the last few years, a lot of improvement has been made on very reasonably priced speakers..

Take it all with a 'grain of salt' - I however am on a salt and sugar free diet. So this is a juggling act, of all the above factors, your budget, etc.

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 02:44:35 AM »
Thanks for the reply markstyles,
Perhaps I should have worded my question differently..
I meant recording directly into the Genos...
I only mentioned the DAWs as a frame of reference....

I haven't even gotten that far yet,
but when I am ready I will be mixing via Cubase thru my RME Fireface 400.

Offline markstyles

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 03:23:15 AM »
Hi Depo1964

Sorry I gave you such a verbose post.  I wouldn't worry about the internal workings of the Genos,  I haven't checked but I would assume Yamaha's bit depth, and sample rate are locked. The Genos is cleaner, brighter and tighter than the Tyros was. There is less noise output.  If you could still play a commercial CD thru the same sound system as your song, I would compare EQ's and relative volumes.  In some of the Genos drums, the kick is too soft for my tastes.

I find I generally record the Genos with the default settings.  If you're arrangement has too many parts in the same octave, it can get muddy.  So sometimes I will roll off a bit of bottom on the guitars, I find it better to cut certain frequencies, rather than boost.  Ideally you might want  to do a bit of both. one instrument you slightly boost a high end, and another, cut out some of the bottom..  It is a continual learning process. 

Check online for mixing mastering tips.  Since Yamaha really focuses on getting their hi/lo balances together. I never do anything drastic with it.. Most often it is a function of your room. Having your speakers too close to a wall, actually makes the wall become some what of a bass booster, so you are going to compensate wrong.

An old trick is to make a recording of your song, and play it on as many different systems as you can.  You might begin to notice your mixes sound too bass on many systems, So you compensate by cutting down the bass a bit, on final EQ or even a bit on individual instruments.  It is a constant learning process. Over the years, I went thru a handful of speaker systems, and many of those early products were way too bossy. because of my studio,  (actually my living room).. I found an old decent theatre curtain used on stage. It was three layers thick. with the middle layer good at absorbing sound, so this lowered some of bottom end bounce back in my room..

Keep at it,  do not be afraid to ask questions, that's what we are all here for to learn from each other.