Author Topic: Results of a Factory Reset  (Read 7891 times)

Offline Depo1964

Results of a Factory Reset
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:07:56 PM »
Doing a Factory Reset will not affect any USER or USB files and/or settings is that correct?

Just want to confirm that as the Super Articulation effects don't seem to be working anymore on my Genos.

Specifically with  Woodwinds --> pg4 --> Smooth Saxes 2.

Offline Toril S

Re: Results of a Factory Reset
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 10:11:40 PM »
A factory reset will delete all your files, so take a backup. A soft reset will only delete your settings, the files will not be deleted.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:38:55 PM »
Doing a Factory Reset will not affect any USER or USB files and/or settings is that correct?

Just want to confirm that as the Super Articulation effects don't seem to be working anymore on my Genos.

Specifically with  Woodwinds --> pg4 --> Smooth Saxes 2.

Although those Smooth saxes are SA  I have never been aware of any special effects displayed by that voice, even after pushing the Art 1 or 2 buttons in spite of them both being lit. The same applies to the other SA saxes on that page.
Check the SA2 saxes, hopefully you should find their SA2 effects continue to work OK.
John
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:40:09 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 10:41:23 PM »
A factory reset will not delete any if your files.

Regards,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 10:42:26 PM »
Super Art 1 usually gives the sound on an intake of breath but it is very quite. This would not be affected by a reset.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:56:21 AM by EileenL »

Offline AlBags

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 11:48:27 PM »
A factory reset will not delete any if your files.

Regards,
Fred

Hi Fred ...

Are you sure?
A Factory Reset usually means as 'as out of the box'!
That would delete all User files and setttings globally (tho not any USB contents)

Anyone done it?

Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »
Hi Fred ...

Are you sure?
A Factory Reset usually means as 'as out of the box'!
That would delete all User files and setttings globally (tho not any USB contents)

Anyone done it?

Al.

Hi Al,
during my 6 months of trying to find what is wrong I have twice done  the reset according to the very clear instructions the Genos display gives you. Fred is correct. It will not destroy your files. But that "user reset" is a very quick and mild one and  does help in some instances but does not help you analyze what was wrong.
There is a much more elaborate reset called "service reset"  for which you need to press certain keys while powering up like you press a key (is it highest  F# ?)  to create an empty reg bank.  That service reset can take up to 45 minutes depending on how much material you have on your user drive and checks everything very thoroughly. But in order to benefit from that reset which erazes all you files you need to know exactly what you are doing. You must have the service manual. I definitely do not recommend it unless you are very familiar with that type of resets. I actually  am due to the same operation sometimes being required with my military target drones  so I did it because I have this problem with the reg memory. I must have overlooked something or I just have a defect that is so rare it is not listed even in the service reset.The process deleted all my files and setting but unfortunately did not find and cure the reason for the reg memory problems.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
Sorry Fred, but a real factory reset will delete EVERYTHING what the user has put in. It brings the keyboard back in the state it came out the factory. The SOFT rest however will keep these things.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »
Yes this is correct. I think most do the soft reset. It is never recomended that anyone dose a sevice reset by Yamaha because it is only there engineers that can fully understand it and then if faults are found know how to remedy them.

Offline AlBags

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 02:46:46 PM »
Yes this is correct. I think most do the soft reset. It is never recomended that anyone dose a sevice reset by Yamaha because it is only there engineers that can fully understand it and then if faults are found know how to remedy them.

Hi Eileen ..

When you say 'this is correct' .. you mean what exactly?
There are conflicting answers here.
Fred may be right ... but the Genos will be different to everything else on market (outside Yamaha)
if 'Factory Reset' does not wipe everything (incl User Folder and global settings) to be as 'out of the box'

Chrs ... Al. 😊

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 05:26:00 PM »
Hi Al,
  I was referring to the soft reset that was mentioned in the post above.

The following users thanked this post: AlBags

Offline Bob88

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
   Would someone clarify the difference between  Soft Reset and Factory Reset?
  Thank you.  Bob

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »
A standard system restoration, either done by holding down the rightmost white key while powering up, or via the function. When performing a system reset there are a series of boxes that can be checked off so this can be selectively performed. However, in order to bring the keyboard to new, out of the box condition, all boxes must be checked. These include:

System Setup
MIDI setup
User effect
Music Finder
Files and folders
registrations

When a full factor restoration is executed, and all boxes are checked, all of the above are deleted. This is the case on every Yamaha arranger keyboard ever made.

Now, lets say that you did not place a check mark in the boxes for registrations and files & folders. If there were corrupt files in either of those areas that were causing problems, those corrupted files would remain in place and the problem would persist. If you backed up those files to a USB drive, the corrupt files would no longer exist in the keyboard after performing a full factory restoration, however, upon loading them into the keyboard from the USB drive, the problems they created just returned.

For the above reasons, I always recommend that instead of transferring all those registrations, files and folders to your new keyboard, why not just redo them from scratch using the new keyboard with all it's newer, updated features and sounds. Just makes good sense to this old codger.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:05:21 PM by travlin-easy »
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Depo1964

Offline AlBags

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 08:59:09 PM »

Nice job, Gary!

Al 👍👌😊

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 01:59:03 AM »
Thanks for all of the feedback guys....
But I'm a bit confused as to how I should proceed.
So I have put up another topic called Articulation Problem,  where I have created a video so you can see and hear the problem that I have.
I figured I should start there before attempting a Factory  Reset. 
Much appreciated.

Offline Bob88

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »
  Thanks Gary  for your feedback.   Bob

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 03:34:05 PM »
  Thanks Gary  for your feedback.   Bob

Ditto!!  :)

Offline travlin-easy