Author Topic: Parameter lock and Master EQ  (Read 4661 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Parameter lock and Master EQ
« on: August 18, 2018, 04:31:49 AM »
As a default, Master EQ is a global function.

Is there any way I can have one master eq for one registration and another Master Eq in another registration? Does Parameter Lock possibly play into this fantasy?

I just tried unlocking Master EQ
in one reg bank, I saved two different Master eq settings.  But unless it did it incorrectly , I failed to have two different Master EQ settings.

Thanks

EDIT  I should have asked this question in another thread below ... sorry about that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:39:53 AM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Parameter lock and Master EQ
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 06:18:58 AM »
I don't have my keyboard with me.  I so I can't test it out,
If you could wait for a couple of days I can try it. 
I've noticed too that the Master EQ usually doesn't get saved.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:21:33 AM »
Registrations don't save Master EQ. You have to change the settings manually (or manually switch to  different user setups you have already saved on the Master EQ Page) .
John

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 08:51:50 AM »
John
My name is John too.

Can you break down your friendly explanation in terms a beginner ( sugarplumsss) user can understand?
I do not know what user group and that sort of thing is?

Can you maybe provide button push by button push type answer
?

But a simple yes or no question: CAN one have different master eq settings on the tyros without actually, during mid-performance, manually changing the global master eq?
On the face of it, it seems the answer is no, because master eq, by default is master aka global.
However a ray of hope came my way when I saw among the features of parameter lock... there IS a Master EQ  check box.  If NOT to alter the global master eq feature, why in the world is the master eq check box, among the parameter lock feature set?

Someone please, the reference manual is of no help.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:55:54 AM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
John
My name is John too.

Can you break down your friendly explanation in terms a beginner ( sugarplumsss) user can understand?
I do not know what user group and that sort of thing is?

Can you maybe provide button push by button push type answer
?

But a simple yes or no question: CAN one have different master eq settings on the tyros without actually, during mid-performance, manually changing the global master eq?
On the face of it, it seems the answer is no, because master eq, by default is master aka global.
However a ray of hope came my way when I saw among the features of parameter lock... there IS a Master EQ  check box.  If NOT to alter the global master eq feature, why in the world is the master eq check box, among the parameter lock feature set?

Someone please, the reference manual is of no help.

Hi John,
Speaking from memory of Ty4, the master settings are in Mixing Console, on the master EQ page in there. You can choose to select from the EQ presets, or make your own adjustments to the EQ settings and save them into a limited no. of user "slots" that are provided. Saving the settings enables you to change the EQ relatively quickly but you have to be on the EQ page to do it manually and cannot change instantaneously via a registration.
Like yourself I have often wondered why a parameter lock is supposed to be useful on Master EQ when the latter is not subject to change anyway via registrations.  ;). However Master settings WILL save to a User Effects backup file so maybe there is some logic to fixing the Master settings in PLock to prevent them from being reinstalled after loading a backup file if someone needs that.
I believe there are times when it could be useful to be able to switch master settings via registrations. Not every time since confusion would be quick to set in, but perhaps for significant changes between full voice setups.
But generally if you are looking to change EQ on individual voices (as opposed to changing the ambience of the overall sound) you have the facility to do that via Voice Set, (along with all sorts of other edits that are available in here) and these changes ARE saveable in registrations so if they can be made to work for you, use Voice Set preferentially.

JohnW
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:49:14 PM by jwyvern »

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 06:03:26 PM »
@sugarplumsss
Hi John,

the Master EQ settings can not be saved directly to Registrations, BUT M.EQ can be changed via MIDI files (by SysEx). When you memorize such a MIDI file (that contains M.EQ SysEx) to a Registration, your M.EQ settings will change when this Reg is activated.

To prevent the M.EQ settings from unwanted changes via MIDI files, the box "Master EQ" in Parameter "Parameter Lock" should be checked. To enable changes by MIDI files, leave this box unchecked.

Unfortunately the M.EQ settings (directly on the keyboard) can only be saved as to a User memory slot (but NOT to a MIDI file).

BUT with the software program "Midifile Optimizer X" (by German company "Midiland") you can write Master EQ settings to MIDI files very easily: :)

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 04:01:48 PM »
Now that I think of it, It would be very simple to just go to the Master EQ and change it... much ado about nothing.

The situation I was thinking about, is fairly common.  There are basically two kinds of eq needs...normal eq is fine for much music, where conversation is happening with audience , or older styles of dancing,
But when you shift to heavier kind of dance music, at that time. a big boost in bass, and perhaps even Compression is handy.
Since the gig is usually conveniently divided into two segments.. it is a simple matter to just press one of the customized bass heavy master eq settings.

Thanks for help
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:11:39 PM by sugarplumsss »

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 09:42:40 PM »
Hi sugarplumsss,

thank you for the detailed feedback!

I only use the "Flat" Master EQ setting (on Tyros5 and also on Genos), but I always play through an external Mixer, which has its own Master EQ (9 frequency bands). In this way, I can adjust the EQ settings very quickly in live operation, if needed. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:46:22 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)