Author Topic: Securing Foot Pedals  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Doghouse Riley

Securing Foot Pedals
« on: August 15, 2018, 04:55:20 PM »
This may have been mentioned before as it's hardly "rocket salad."

I got fed up with my on/off and volume pedals moving about, so I've fixed them.

It's a bit of laminate flooring. The front end is trapped under the crossbar of the stand and the pedals attached by two strips of velcro on the underside of each. A five minute job. I've a third function pedal which I've not got round to using. But if I do I can take both pedals off and the other halves of the velcro strips will peel off the laminate and I can re-position them.

[img width= height= alt=P1010826" border="0]https://image.ibb.co/dkMWd9/P1010826.jpg[/img]

I've also put a small piece of velcro on each underside corner of my Tyros 5 and a matching bit on the corner of each side of its cover.(It's a cheap one).
It did have a tendancy for one corner to slide off whilst I was trying to fit the other.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Securing Foot Pedals
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:21:40 PM »
I merely placed a small piece of Velcro, hook side to my pedals and when I perform it grabs the carpeting. If there is no carpeting, I merely unroll a 5 X 3 foot length of carpet and place the keyboard stand upon it, then my pedals stick like glue to that length of carpet. The carpet is much easier to transport than a piece of board and takes up less room in the van.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Doghouse Riley

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:37:05 PM »
"Horses for courses."

Yours seems an excellent solution for your situation.
My piano doesn't go anywhere, my wife would not  be too keen on me velcroing the pedals to our carpet. The board will also stop the carpet getting scuffed by my feet.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:54:36 AM »
I've gigged on many styles of floors and I only ever had a problem with my sustain (on/off) foot switch on smooth floors - it's very light and slid around a lot.
So, some years ago, I glued a piece of "grippy" soft sponge to the bottom it, and have never had a problem since.
It's the kind that you can buy to help twist off jar tops. If it ever deteriorates, I'll just replace it.

And my volume pedal (with it's rubber bottom) stays put on any floor.
Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 11:08:52 AM »
Yes Bruce,
  The beauty of Yamaha pedals is they are very sturdy and stay put on most floors as they have rubber at the bottom.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »
Those flimsy on/offswitches are bad for moving around, but the heavy piano type sustain pedals don’t move easily. And they can be used for any switching not just sustain.
Mike

Offline Doghouse Riley

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »
Both my pedals have rubber feet, but they don't cope well with thicker carpets or vacuum cleaners. I could when coming home from golf, find them  pushed up to either end, or the other side of the crossbar. Then if I started  playing, my feet were searching for them.

I have two of those Bespeco foot switches, with  which you can change the polarity. They can be used for any function (except volume).  I used them when I had my Yamaha PSR 5700, must be twenty years ago, same with the volume control.

I only posted this, as it might be of interest to people with a similar situation as myself.

I'm sure many have other solutions for their own situations.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 02:26:52 PM by Doghouse Riley »

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »
You can't beat the Yamaha pedals, an FC7 stays where you put it and is almost indestructible - mine's over 15 years old. And the FC4 / FC5 for the footswitches, the 4 for sustain/fills etc and the 5 for registration changes. They tend to stay put too.

But I have to say that I have a couple of students who have done a similar thing, mounting them onto a board that goes full width between the legs of the stand, so it can't move sideways. Only trouble is that their idea of the perfect positions isn't mine! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com