Author Topic: PSR-S975 Registration Banks  (Read 12888 times)

worldofmelody

PSR-S975 Registration Banks
« on: August 15, 2018, 01:50:23 AM »
Hi -  Can anybody help me here …. I'm relatively new at this but am working with the registration memory banks and am stuck on a problem.  What I'm trying to do is to set up, say, a bank of 3/4 styles and maybe another bank of 4/4 ballad styles and maybe another bank of disco styles.  Or whatever.  Just so I don't have to go hunting for them all the time. 

So I have a couple of 3/4 styles saved in the first bank.  Now I've come across a nice ballad style and so would like to put that in the next registration bank.  But the green lights are of course on and I can't add this new ballad style without erasing the 3/4 style that's already there.  How do I open a new registration bank where I can start adding the new ballad styles as I find them?  Can't believe I can't figure this out myself but I've been through the section in the manual, line by line, a number of times and I'm stuck.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: PSR-S975 Registration Banks
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 03:15:33 AM »
You save your registration bank, just like you would save a style or a song file.

Press the Registration bank button (typically J), then Save, then name the bank ("Waltzes").

And loading a registration is just like loading a style -- press the registration button, then choose the file your want.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 03:31:43 AM »
The easiest is go to the homepage of this forum and look up the lessons about creating registrations by Gary.
Can be a bit confusing at first but when you know it ..... it is DEAD easy!
You should also make a 'MySetup' reg to have your keyboard always setup the way you want it as default.

Have fun
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 05:04:11 AM »
I tend to agree with Worldofmelody.  Setting up the first bank of 8 voices is easy.  It’s those additional banks that’s the problem.  I’ll try the suggestions made.

worldofmelody

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 07:41:51 AM »
I'd like to respond to each of you but I don't see any "reply" button to do that !  Can someone let me know what to click on …. (I'm trying not to feel dumb here !)

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 09:23:47 AM »
Press "Quote".
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 12:02:33 PM »
You're right that its not very intuitive.

What you need to remember is that any changes you make to the registration bank are not permanent unless you explicitly save the bank.

So if I create a nice new setup, I save it into slot 1 of whatever bank is currently loaded, then save the bank with a new name. Of course this saves all the other slots too, so I then delete them from this new bank.
Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »

What you need to remember is that any changes you make to the registration bank are not permanent unless you explicitly save the bank.

The only time you lose a registration is when you specifically overwrite (re-memorize) one. Sounds pretty permanent to me.

The issue comes when you want more than 8 registrations. Then you have to save them to a drive.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Paul B

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »
You only loose a registration when you explicitly save over it OR when you load a new bank without saving the modified bank. Derek is correct that its not really saved until you save the bank.

Once you have a bank of registrations that you are happy with (waltzes) press the "SELECT BANK" buttons "+ and _" both at the same time and it will take you directly to the registration save page. Then using the appropriate buttons find the save option and save the bank using a name that you wish (i.e. Waltz). You will eventually have a collection of registrations named the way you wish. Then all you do is select the registration bank that you wish to use and you are ready to go.

If you start getting a bunch of these registrations you will need to consider a organizational method and Fred had a couple of youTube videos out there that helped me a lot when I was getting started.

Paul B
Paul B
Kenosha, WI

PSR-SX900, Bose S1 Pro(2)

worldofmelody

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »
The easiest is go to the homepage of this forum and look up the lessons about creating registrations by Gary.
Can be a bit confusing at first but when you know it ..... it is DEAD easy!
You should also make a 'MySetup' reg to have your keyboard always setup the way you want it as default.

Have fun
Dick

Thanks much for your reply.  I went to "Lessons" and watched Fred Smith's video on "How to create a set-up registration" and there was my answer right at the beginning of the video !  That's exactly what I was asking about -- how to make the 8 registration memory buttons "blank" (no lights on) so I could start a new bank.  His answer, of course, was to hold down the top B note as you turn the machine on.  In all my reading yesterday in the manual,  NOWHERE did I see that piece of information.  So I'm very grateful to Mr. Smith and to yourself for pointing me toward the information on this very forum.  I'm certainly going to be watching all the videos and reading the information on the site from now on !!

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 07:29:27 PM »
That's exactly what I was asking about -- how to make the 8 registration memory buttons "blank" (no lights on) so I could start a new bank.  His answer, of course, was to hold down the top B note as you turn the machine on.  In all my reading yesterday in the manual,  NOWHERE did I see that piece of information

You must have missed the 'note' on page 86 of the PSR-S975/775 Owner's Manual!  ::)

NOTE
The panel setups registered in the
numbered buttons are maintained even
when you turn off the power. If you
want to delete all the eight current
panel setups, turn the power on while
holding the B5 key (right-most B key
on the keyboard).

There are only three pages about Registration Memory in the Owner's Manual, so I'm surprised that you missed it!  ;)

Don't fret about it, and do continue to post questions if you get stuck on anything!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:33:16 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 09:32:40 PM »
Keep in mind that when you use that method, you are essentially performing a minor system restoration and you will loose some settings, such as fingering, which will revert to default. That is a quick, easy solution, but not the best one.

The best solution is to create a blank registration using the method I described in my lesson section of registrations. This provides you with a single button push to do the job without doing a system restoration and losing your custom settings.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 11:29:59 PM »
Keep in mind that when you use that method, you are essentially performing a minor system restoration and you will loose some settings, such as fingering, which will revert to default. That is a quick, easy solution, but not the best one.

I'm sorry but I think that this is incorrect!

If you hold down the right most B key whilst turning on the power, you will only clear the contents of the panel registration buttons.  Nothing else will be changed.  You will see a message along the lines of 'Initializing regist backup.' at the top of the display as the keyboard starts up.   None of the 'system setup' settings such as Chord Fingering Type, Split points, etc,  will be reset.   

To trigger a 'system setup' reset you need to hold down the topmost white key whilst turning on the power.  On a 61 note Tyros or PSR this is a C key (C6 in Yamaha octave speak)!   You will see a message along the lines of 'Initializing system setup.' in the display.  This will reset the system setup settings (Fingering type, Split Points, etc), but it will not 'empty' the panel registration memories.

I do agree that once you have emptied the contents of the eight registration buttons (by whatever method), it is worth saving that as a 'blank' or 'empty' bank.  You can then recall it anytime when the keyboard is on.  When you load this bank and save panel settings to the buttons, just remember to change the name of the bank when you resave it, or you will overwrite your empty bank!

Regards

Ian

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 11:58:43 PM »
I'm sorry but I think that this is incorrect!

If you hold down the right most B key whilst turning on the power, you will only clear the contents of the panel registration buttons.  Nothing else will be changed.  You will see a message along the lines of 'Initializing regist backup.' at the top of the display as the keyboard starts up.   None of the 'system setup' settings such as Chord Fingering Type, Split points, etc,  will be reset.   

To trigger a 'system setup' reset you need to hold down the topmost white key whilst turning on the power.  On a 61 note Tyros or PSR this is a C key (C6 in Yamaha octave speak)!   You will see a message along the lines of 'Initializing system setup.' in the display.  This will reset the system setup settings (Fingering type, Split Points, etc), but it will not 'empty' the panel registration memories.

I do agree that once you have emptied the contents of the eight registration buttons (by whatever method), it is worth saving that as a 'blank' or 'empty' bank.  You can then recall it anytime when the keyboard is on.  When you load this bank and save panel settings to the buttons, just remember to change the name of the bank when you resave it, or you will overwrite your empty bank!

I think you’re right, Ian.

Powering on while pressing the top white key (usually C) does a soft reset, but the second highest white key won’t. All it does is blank out your registrations.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 01:41:40 AM »
Well guys, I just did it on my S-950 and the fingering mode went to fingered - not multi-finger which is where I had it set. Fingered IS the default setting.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

worldofmelody

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 03:44:56 AM »
Well thanks to each of you who took the time to reply with advice.  I've read your words and done some more experimenting and am happy to say I have three banks of registrations set up here tonight !  A necessary feature, for sure, and I'm really happy to have learned how to do it after the frustration I was feeling at this time yesterday.  Thanks again !

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 03:49:54 AM »
Well thanks to each of you who took the time to reply with advice.  I've read your words and done some more experimenting and am happy to say I have three banks of registrations set up here tonight !  A necessary feature, for sure, and I'm really happy to have learned how to do it after the frustration I was feeling at this time yesterday.  Thanks again !

Glad we could help.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 04:26:21 AM »
That's why we get the big bucks! ;)

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 06:31:07 AM »
That's why we get the big bucks! ;)

Good luck,

Gary 8)

And the red carpet!!!
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Giorgio_C

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 07:50:53 AM »
I'd like to thank everyone as well, also because I also own an S975 and I was also lost in terms of how to add new memory banks!  And now I finally understand the "trick" to do it.

It is true that there is a note in the User Manual "If you want to delete all the eight current panel setups, turn the power on while holding the B5 key (right-most B key on the keyboard)."  But it is also true that that note may be interpreted as you will delete all your 8 registration memories you may have saved earlier by doing that.  So, it would be helpful if Yamaha would reword the note to something like "If you wish to add another blank memory bank, then...".  Wouldn't you all agree? 

Anyway, now I know how to do it and I am happy about it!  Thanks again! :-)

AndyMark

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 09:05:36 PM »
There is another simple way to save a new (empty) bank. A way that doesn't require a keyboard reset. Select any bank with the "+" and "-" keys. Then select the "MENU 1" field and the EDIT field. Delete all fields with the DELETE key. Then go to "MENU 2" and save this empty bank with the SAVE button with the new name. You will receive an empty bank, which you can fill with new buttons from 1 to 8.
Andy