Author Topic: A newbie question....  (Read 7249 times)

chongjasmine

A newbie question....
« on: August 12, 2018, 05:36:39 AM »
How do you record sound from your keyboard to your computer?

Fantomas

Re: A newbie question....
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 08:09:14 AM »
Hello

You can use Audacity with an USB printer cable connected to your keyboard.
Make sure you have installed Steinberg USB driver from Yamaha.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:31:16 AM »
I believe that she has a PSR-E443, which does not have direct USB audio output.  So, she'll need an analog-audio-to-digital-USB adaptor.  There are plenty of these available for a wide variety of prices.  I use a very basic unit from a company called Behringer which cost about $30 US.  It's straightforward -- just hook the analog audio input of the device to the keyboard's headphone output (this may require an adaptor plug).  Then, hook the USB output of the device to a USB port on your computer.  I've used it on Windows 7 and Windows 10 and did not need to install any special drivers.  But, yes, you will need a computer program, called a digital audio workstation (or DAW) that can get the information from the USB port, interpret it as music, and record it digitally on your computer.  The DAW can then save the music on your computer and even convert it to WAV or MP3 files that can be stored on a flash drive, CD-ROM, or other media for playing the music on stereos or other equipment away from the computer.  Or, the files can be just transferred to a phone or other portable digital audio player like any other music file.

As Fantomas said, you can use Audacity software.  It can be downloaded to your computer for free and is quite powerful.  I have been using it quite a bit to record multi-track recordings from my PSR-E433.  It can convert recordings to WAV, but if you want to convert recordings to MP3, you have to download a separate companion program with Audacity, which is also free.  I believe that the instructions for Audacity on the web also give you instructions on how to download this MP3 program, curiously called "LAME."

There are also other considerations, such as making sure your computer is set to record in stereo instead of mono, adjusting levels to reduce or eliminate noise, and how to listen to what you've already recorded if you want to "overdub" or do multi-track recording, but I don't want to make this post too long, so we can tackle those subjects later.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:38:58 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »
Indeed! The adaptors available now include one that looks just like an audio lead, mine has two 1/4" mono jack plugs at one end and a USB plug at the other. You can also get it with a 3.5mm stereo jack plug. You'd then need an adaptor plug to plug the lead into the PSR's headphones socket.

It needs no Windows drivers and simply appears as an input source in Audacity or whatever you're using. If you keep the PSR's volume control at the 2 o'clock position you should get good results with no problems. If you record a little on the quiet side, no problem, as all audio apps will let you 'normalise' the level at a later stage.

And it's worth mentioning one possible fly in the ointment. Unless you use a 'Y' splitter cable that lets you plug your headphones into the PSR as well as the USB audio adaptor/lead, you'll have to listen to your playing with headphones plugged into your computer. Here's where audio 'latency' may rear its head and you'll find that the sound gets to your ears a little while after you've played the keys. This can very off-putting for the best of players and if the latency is long, like 1/2 second, it's impossible for most people to keep time.

Three ways around this. 1) some adaptors have a headphones socket for monitoring what you record, but they're the more expensive ones 2) you may be able to use an ASIO or WASAPI driver for your adaptor rather than the Direct Sound one that Windows likes to use by default to get the latency down to a very low figure - the better quality adaptors will have ASIO drivers - or you could see if it will work with the free 'ASIO4ALL' driver, which will do the same thing. 3) and perhaps the easiest way - record what you play into the keyboard's song recorder. Once you're happy with what you've done, just play that song back while the audio recorder in the computer does its thing!

And I'll give Audacity a big plug too, for a free app, it does a lot, and does it very well. I have more expensive apps and DAWs but Audacity is the 'go to' app when I'm in a hurry.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:53:11 PM by andyg »
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:21:17 PM »
I believe that on another site she mentioned having just bought a PSR-E463. If that's correct then the USB audio option that Fantomas described should work for her. :)

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 06:06:30 AM »
Hello

Can I use this Method to do a YouTube Live Stream,
I have the 770, or would the Sound Quality change?
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 07:13:13 AM »
I don't know, but I imagine the video/audio quality would largely be determined by the program used to stream to YouTube. As far as I know, YouTube videos are in 30 FPS (frames per second), so presumably the audio quality is also reduced in some manner.

EDIT: I guess YouTube can now handle 60 FPS video. And I guess the audio quality can also be very high, although I gather that it still uses a "lossy" compression (apparently either MP3 or AAC).

But what you should keep in mind is that there are really two sides to this-- the quality (bitrate, resolution, etc.) of the audio and video that you are streaming to YouTube, and the quality of the audio and video that any given YouTube user is receiving.

See the following for some information about live stream encoder settings:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702?hl=en
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:32:21 PM by SeaGtGruff »

chongjasmine

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »
I just sold my e443 and bought a e 463.

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »
I just sold my e443 and bought a e 463.
It has wave 16 Bit Recording to Pen drive
But directly to the PC you'll have to follow fantomas
- Norman

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 04:09:43 PM »
Hello

I Tried it on the 770 didn't work

Cubase - Kontakt6

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »
The PSR-S770 doesn't have a built-in USB audio interface. I don't think any of the PSR-S models do.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »
Hello :) I use Audacity. I connect the keyboard to an audio interface, in my case a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2. Then I record by using Audacity. My S970 can record directly to a USB flash drive, but I think the sound is better when I use the interface. I usually make 3 different formats of my songs, MIDI, MP3 and Wav. The Focusrite does a good job with the latency.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page