Author Topic: Basic .MID files on Genos  (Read 6365 times)

akcirc

Basic .MID files on Genos
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:37:27 PM »
How do I get my .mid files to load and play on Genos? They worked fine on Tyros!

Offline Gunnar Jonny

Re: Basic .MID files on Genos
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »
Hi.
I don't play midifiles by use of Genos, but maybe what's written in the User Manual (v.d0) page 73 and 74 about playback songs can be the answer to your question?  ;)
Updated manual here: https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/1130977/genos_en_om_d0.pdf
Cheers 🥂
GJ

akcirc

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this. My USB stick contains a load of .MID files and the directory name appears in the SONG User USB listing but hitting the Playlist button displays only blank lines. The files play happily on the PC and on the TYROS but it seem GENOS is not able to play them. I was hoping or a converter or other means of reading and playing these files but it seems odd that there is no easy function for this.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 09:44:41 PM »
You said that you see the directory name. Did you touch that name to open up the directory? That should have opened up a list of files to choose from.
Genos

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:58:52 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this. My USB stick contains a load of .MID files and the directory name appears in the SONG User USB listing but hitting the Playlist button displays only blank lines........

Probably because you have to add the files to create a new or add into a excisting playlist.
If you browse to the .mid contents in directory as DerekA suggest, you'll most likely find the midifiles and load into the player. :)

Good luck.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

akcirc

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:57:31 PM »
Indeed I can see the Directory in the page showing that the the USB is connected but clicking on the directory name shows blanks. Most peculiar that the directory name is visible but the files cannot be located ! I'll try and see if the add to an existing playlist will work.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 11:15:36 PM »
Indeed I can see the Directory in the page showing that the the USB is connected but clicking on the directory name shows blanks. Most peculiar that the directory name is visible but the files cannot be located ! I'll try and see if the add to an existing playlist will work.

When the keyboard shows files, it shows only files of the type you ask for. If you press the registration icon first, it will list only registrations. If you press the Style icon first, it shows only styles. In other words, it operates the same way as the Tyros.

So you must press the Song icon first (either A or B). Then it will list midi files in any of your folders.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 11:55:22 PM »
Did you set the Audio/MIDI switch in the top menu bar to "MIDI"? If the switch is set to "Audio", the directory listing shows audio files, not MIDI files.

I forget this soooo many times.  :)

-- pj

akcirc

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 12:12:56 AM »
Duh!  You are right.  The little MIDI slider did the trick. Thanks for solving.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 09:13:14 AM »
The little MIDI slider did the trick.....

User Manual page 74 pt. 3 .....  ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ