Author Topic: ACMP button off, and Style range question.  (Read 5251 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

ACMP button off, and Style range question.
« on: August 08, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »
I have never fully understood the key ranges of the S L  R section, so on a lark I tried lowering the range of the Style; figuring that as long as the ACMP button is not pressed there will be no weirdness from the Style playing unwanted parts.

I was wrong..  weird, unpredictable notes about an octave lower than the Right 1 voice, would ghost the R voice.

I finally figured it out, and turned off the extra diminished range of style ( I do not use the style voices, only the drum styles ) .

Two points.. I thought the key range section was individual registrations not global!
And does anyone have any idea of the behavior of the Style when ACMP is off ?
Regardless of whether the Left button was on or off, i heard these unpredictable notes.

I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline panos

Re: ACMP button off, and Style range question.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 04:09:45 PM »
http://psrtutorial.com/lessons/start/s50_fingering.html

S is for the Style's split point
L is for the Left voice's split point
If the acmp button is off (so if you press start button you will hear only the drums(rhythm 1+rythhm 2) of the style playing) and also Left voice is also off
then you must hear only the right voices playing, R1 and/or R2 and/or R3)

If you cannot figure out what is sounds wrong,press rec button,upload the track on a site so we can hear also what is that "wrong" thing.

Have in mind that someone who made a style maybe he wanted to use the Rhythm1 or Rhythm2 parts to play other sounds(any kind of sound/voice) and not just drum sounds.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:11:08 PM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »
Panos, 
I appreciate your participation in my various questions.

I thought the split points were individually assignable per registration? Are splits global or individual?

Rest assured, i turned ever button off, and still heard occasional ghost piano notes.
That leaves only one explanation... the one you kindly provided.. You are saying that yamaha sound designers ( the very talented person(s) who created all those styles we enjoy)  placed a piano in one of the rhythm tracks.
Seems odd, but ok for now.

Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:22:30 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 10:28:29 PM »
I don't really know if you can assign the split points in order to change with a registration on your Tyros.
If you download registrations and styles from other users, then  there can be lots of "strange" things happening sometimes.
To check if this strange sound comes from the style just press the start button and just listen.
If you can hear the sound in repeat after some measures,then it comes from the style.

If you can her this sound only while you are playing there is something wrong with the voice/voices.

If this happens while you are playing different preset styles and voices and doesn't ha[[en only in one style you have noticed then maybe something wrong with some keys on your keyboard.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 10:46:09 PM »
Split points are saved in a registration as part of the Style group. So if Style was checked when you memorized the registration, the split point will be saved as well.

Ergo, when you load said registration, the split point will be set, UNLESS you have set Parameter Lock to stop registrations from doing so.

In other words, to have a registration set the split points, you must:
1. Turn off (=uncheck) Split Point in Parameter Lock,
2. Have memorized the registration with the Style group included (=checked).

Hope this helps,
Fred
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:21:39 PM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 12:44:48 AM »
Hey Fred,   Hot enough for you?  It is 100 here in east San Diego

I am making slow progress understanding t4.
I would say what i could call Navigation is still on my mind.
About six months ago, I discovered the more aspects to the Main Screen.
Saving became a bit more complicated with Songs, Styles, Registration, Voices, spread across  the 4 tabs ( USB   USER  etc )  and the various folders.
I am still bumping into unexpected things that I am just dealing with little by little.

As a consequence     I do not dare touch FREEZE  or   PARAMETER LOCK
Just seems like I would get into trouble.
Thank you Fred, always nice to get your input.

PS   This month is looking very lean, as far as gigs go...   I have 2 steadies and one 300 dollar party.  And music is my sole income with a few pennies in SS.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:48:12 AM by sugarplumsss »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 01:49:21 AM »
Hey Fred,   Hot enough for you?  It is 100 here in east San Diego

We're like Goldilocks. We don't like it too hot, and don't like it two cold. Hence the seasonal residences.

As a consequence     I do not dare touch FREEZE  or   PARAMETER LOCK

While I agree with you regarding Freeze (I consider having to use the Freeze button to be an indicator of poor registration design), I disagree on Parameter Lock.

Everyone should at least check out Parameter Lock, and almost everyone should be using it. It's what stops 3rd party registrations from messing up your settings. In my case, I have Master EQ, Split Point, and Fingering checked in Parameter Lock. I don't want registrations changing these parameters, ever.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 10:31:50 AM »
We're like Goldilocks. We don't like it too hot, and don't like it two cold. Hence the seasonal residences.

While I agree with you regarding Freeze (I consider having to use the Freeze button to be an indicator of poor registration design), I disagree on Parameter Lock.

Everyone should at least check out Parameter Lock, and almost everyone should be using it. It's what stops 3rd party registrations from messing up your settings. In my case, I have Master EQ, Split Point, and Fingering checked in Parameter Lock. I don't want registrations changing these parameters, ever.

Hope this helps,
Fred

the constant comfort of Ms Goldilocks  hmmmm, so right now, you would be far from blazing AZ, I take it?
But where in USA is it cool in August?

"an indicator of poor registration design"  whose poor design, we the users, or yamaha designers?

“It's what stops 3rd party registrations from messing up your settings. In my case, I have Master EQ, Split Point, and Fingering checked in Parameter Lock. I don't want registrations changing these parameters, ever”

This seems to suggest that Master EQ  IS  Global, except when it is not, thanks to a registration?!
Same idea for fingering, Split Points.

Are they or are they not global?

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 11:26:20 AM »
Quoting
“It's what stops 3rd party registrations from messing up your settings. In my case, I have Master EQ, Split Point, and Fingering checked in Parameter Lock. I don't want registrations changing these parameters, ever”

This seems to suggest that Master EQ  IS  Global, except when it is not, thanks to a registration?!

Are they or are they not global?"
................................................. .........

Master EQ is a global parameter and I have never encountered it being changed by registrations. The data list manual confirms this too, registrations are not listed as storing Master EQ. As Fred says fingering and Split points can be saved in Regs. (and commonly are if most people are saving styles - style checked - within their Regs.)

John
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:36:08 AM by jwyvern »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
the constant comfort of Ms Goldilocks  hmmmm, so right now, you would be far from blazing AZ, I take it?
But where in USA is it cool in August?

Where? I would have thought putting both my residences in my signature line would be sufficient. I'm sorry if it's not.

"an indicator of poor registration design"  whose poor design, we the users, or yamaha designers?
The user.

Are they or are they not global?

You answered your own question. It's up to the user. That's the beauty of Yamaha arrangers. They give you the tools. It's up to the user to use them.

By setting a Parameter Lock, you've made the feature global, because a registration cannot change them.

If you're like me, and you want Fingering to be a global parameter, you set it in Parameter Lock. But, if you want different Fingerings by registration, then don't set it.

It's up to the user.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ