Author Topic: Chord inversionsn  (Read 2871 times)

kmspecialties

Chord inversionsn
« on: August 08, 2018, 02:53:40 AM »
If in full keyboard mode does the genos recognize chord inversions

Offline mikf

Re: Chord inversionsn
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 03:29:12 AM »
Yes, I think it should provided you are playing more than three notes. AI full keyboard is generally a better choice of mode because there is not much difference except AI mode makes better chord choices even on less than three notes.  But be aware of what recognizing chord inversion usually means on a Yamaha keyboard. It really just changes the bass note in the accompaniment, and everything else stays the same. So for example if there is a chord pad sound or a guitar chord in your accompaniment it will not invert it. However, this is probably not very noticeable in full keyboard mode because you are playing a main voice inverted chord anyway.
Mike

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 04:17:02 AM »
I play chord inversions on Genos.

I believe that
Yes, I think it should provided you are playing more than three notes.
Mike

I believe the statement should be ... . . . three notes or more . . . .

I play inverted chords with 3 or more notes.    Genos correctly recognizes inverted chords with only 3 notes as well. 

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

kmspecialties

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:22:50 PM »
Thank you

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
Al
You are correct, that was slip on my part.
But having said that, its not actually that simple, you might need many more notes. In full keyboard mode, every note counts across the whole keyboard, and one of the notes is certainly going to be a melody note that may not be a part of the chord. So its actually likely that only 3 notes would define the wrong chord. Even 4 or more notes may still result in the wrong chord being interpreted. That is one of the issues with full keyboard modes, especially for those people who are following a simple piano manuscript. AI works a little better because it also uses the previous chord sequence information to deduce the likely correct chord. There is no downside but some upside in selecting AI, and this is what people should use.
In general, if you use plenty of chord information in your playing, it will work pretty well, even for advanced chords. Even if the chord is a little 'off ' you will be playing full chords on the selected voice, and errors will not be noticed.
Mike