Author Topic: Altering PITCH BEND RANGE on T5  (Read 4774 times)

Offline gary3917

Altering PITCH BEND RANGE on T5
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
I can not get a clear finding here but maybe someone can let me know if it is possible to change my pitch bend settings to a different degree (more than 2 semitones) like you can do for the much cheaper Yamaha PSR-EW410 and  not for the tyros 5 ...how unfair is that ?
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
Mackie DLM8 Keyboard stereo Powered speakers and subwoofer

Offline Rick D.

Re: Altering PITCH BEND RANGE on T5
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 11:48:12 PM »
Gary,

Click the Direct Access button then the pitch bend wheel. This will open thr mixing console with the pitch bend section highlighted. From here you can adjust the range for each part with the sliders or the up/down arrows..

Hope this helps!

Rick D.

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 01:09:50 AM »
You can change your Pitch Bend  from O to 12 semitones

The following users thanked this post: gary3917

Offline gary3917

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 10:16:02 PM »
thank you fellers !!!! I was reading a quote from Eilleen in another area and said it could not be done but i think this must have come in an update since that time .
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:27:39 PM by gary3917 »
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 10:44:31 PM »
You can change your Pitch Bend  from O to 12 semitones

Hi "Benders",
Yes,  that is possible. But what is not possible is getting the range of pitch bend to be just 1/4 note by using the software setting. Being a former Selmer Tenor  VI player I  did want the range to be 1/4 note on my Tyros  1 all the way to  5/6.
Guitar and synth voice players tend to use huge pitch bends, (just as they adore high settings of reverb and other in my view strange effects), sax players do not. But you can get that fixed by soldering resistors to the end of the pitch bend pot. It is not difficult but  let the YAMAHA SERVICE do that for you if you are not an accomplished builder of organs from kits. (There was a time when that was a popular hobby, I believe there are not organ kits offered anymore anywhere) After that of course you do not have a full 12 semitones bend anymore, but who needs that ?

I will do that modification to my Genos once YAMAHA fixes the other things in 1.4 because anything you do yourself of course voids the warranty unless your dealer understands that a problem you may have is not due  a pitch bender modification. My dealer, the YAMAHA importer for Finland understands that.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 11:31:20 PM »
Why do you actually need a 1/4 tone setting? When teaching my students how to use the bend wheel properly (and it's always popular, most of my youngsters calling it the 'twanger' as they're likely to use it on guitar!), the first thing I get them to do is set the range to 1 semitone. The next thing to to is to impress very firmly on them that they don't need to move the wheel all the way! Move it halfway and there's your 'natural' 1/4 tone bend or smear. Move it less and you can create very delicate bends. Move it more and you can get some good guitar bends and even apply it to things like vibes! (Yes it's possible, do some googling if you want to know how!) But it still won't exceed a semitone. I make them practise using the bender - the amount they move the wheel and, equally importantly, when to move it) until they get it right, just like they practise anything else.

For things like guitar and trombone, we can set it to a wider range and for synth, all the way up to 12. But that initial tuition and practice of smaller movements stands them in good stead.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline gary3917

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:40 AM »
Thanx for clearing that up Andy !!!!