Author Topic: Realistic violin for PSR  (Read 4748 times)

gayancc

Realistic violin for PSR
« on: August 02, 2018, 11:40:40 AM »
does anybody have a realistic violin voice? thanks

Offline overover

Re: Realistic violin for PSR
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 11:53:17 AM »
Hi gayancc,

you could try some of the free voices on cms-sounddesign.de:

http://www.cms-sounddesign.de/page105.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: frajag

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »
You can also check the folders Legacy,GM&XG and GM2 of your keyboard and combine the string sounds (voice 1+ voice 2)

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »
If the legacy strings on the PSR include the SoloViolin voice nos. 0,112,41 the latter provides a good basis for a very good violin. I have used it on Genos and have so far found it more useful than the later solo violin offerings. However it does require use of DSP to bring the sounds out of their rather subdued default properties. Also I believe the PSR may not have Aftertouch  which if correct would limit the ability for playing it with maximum expression (ie. varying  volume and vibrato while playing) .
If you want to experiment, select the legacy voice and try allocating various DSP's to it from the available ones in the Distortion category to hear how they sound eg. Comp+OD+Tmp Delay 4 might be a good one to try. You may wish to tweak EQ, Attack and other settings to get closer to what you want.
The DSP I use on Genos is Multi FX Oldies Delay, but I also alter the DSP parameters to get the best out of it plus voice edit tweaks. I am not sure:
 1. If your psr has that or
 2. Whether your PSR allows edited parameters to be saved and reloaded.

If you want to check it out I could post the Genos voice file in this thread assuming the format won't be rejected  by the PSR  ::).
John
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:00:31 PM by jwyvern »

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 09:50:36 PM »
You can edit that voice very effectively. I have two based on that one, both designed to be very lyrical, with gentle attach and quite a bit of vibrato - the speeds and depths vary between the two. I've uploaded them somewhere, I can't recall where, but if I do I'll post a link.

The Church and Christmas expansion pack also has a couple of very usable lyrical violins.

Thing is, there are so many ways of playing that instrument that for truly realistic playing on keyboard, you need several sounds and the ability to switch very quickly between them. Easy enough in a DAW, not quite so easy to do live on keyboard.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Mendel

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
hello gayancc,

If you want your violin to sound more 'sweet' you can adjust the
attack parameter (as jwyvern mentioned) and play around with the vibrato, the genos to PSR-S..
expansion pack actually has pretty solid violin voices which quite sound good :)
I wish I can give those to you.. if you want you can buy it (it contains many
conversions [from genos] including the RevoDrums..) by email <keyboardtipsmx@gmail.com>,
just ask him if you can buy the genos expansion pack for PSR-S and if you play with him right
he can discount you nicely ;) and the price is I think around 60 dollars..

mendel
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:37:31 PM by Mendel »

Offline andyg

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »
Just remembered - when reworking my website for its next update - my edited voices are already online. https://app.box.com/s/mi7gax3i1n5s9zngakuu

The new solo violin is actually an old one, but given a makeover. Try it, open up Voice Edit and you can see what I've done.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: RoyceM, wersianer