Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > DGX Portable Grand Pianos (DGX 620,630,640,650,660,670)

Demo of the DGX 660 At Sweetwater (with ChordTracker app)

<< < (2/2)

billmc:
Vinciane, we each have our own histories with our keyboards. I cut my "arranger teeth" on an old PSR730. Years ago, I often played it at church to provide backing tracks to the grand piano I also played. That was an awesome keyboard for its time. It sounded great and was, of course, portable. I've had a number of other PSRs since then and I've enjoyed them all. To me, the feature of using a USB stick to record .wav was a true breakthrough.

But times have changed for me, so my needs have changed. I don't play out in public anymore, so I don't really need something portable. I wouldn't consider the DGX660 to be portable anyway, even if it is marketed as a Portable Grand. Too heavy. That is the cost of having 88 fully weighted (or close to it) keys. Coming from a piano background, the organ keys of the PSRs always felt a bit toyish to me. But they (the PSRs) are not digital pianos, they are portable keyboards, and they serve exceptional well in that capacity. Of course, over time Yamaha has introduced 76-key versions. Maybe they even have an arranger now with weighted keys, I don't know.

Right now, I just have a P115 digital piano. It is lovely for what it is. Great sound, good feel. But when I play something on it, my mind often says, "Wouldn't a Rhumba behind this sound great?" Or, "Gosh, I wish I had a 16-beat Ballad behind this." And that is why I've ordered a DGX660. It should be here this coming Tuesday, Oct 23. I'm excited, as you can probably tell.

Again, I'm NOT trashing any other keyboard - far from it. Yamaha, IMO, makes great everything. But their piano sounds, even coming from a PSR or TYROS with decent speakers are, like my P115, phenomenal, as close to having a grand piano in your house as you can get - at a fraction of the price and space for the "real thing." And, I hope, the Piano Room option on the DGX660 will make that just a bit better as you can change the ambience, reverb, chorus, and even the "lid position" at the touch of a button. I probably won't play out anymore. Carpel tunnel and arthritis are setting in. But I will hold onto playing piano as long as I possibly can. I'm almost 60 and it has always been a part of my life, even a spiritual outlet. So I'm hoping I can enjoy this DGX660 into my twilight years, as long as possible.

Regards,
Bill   

Dnj:
Bill great post and really hits home for may of us...
thanx for your thoughts

Dnj:
I just downloaded the  Free Yamaha Chord Tracker APP for my Android tablet 
besides Apple devices as well works brilliantly.
enjoy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.yamaha.emi.chordtracker&hl=en_US

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version