Author Topic: Genos - moving registrations from USB to user area - any tips ?  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Al Ram

Hello Friends.

I upgraded from T5 to Genos.    On T5, i had everything (registrations, external styles, etc) in the hard drive.   I used the user area only for temporary work and then transferred the finished product to the T5 HD.  Therefore the T5 user area was empty.

I copied my registrations, external styles, etc from T5 to a USB stick.    Plugged the USB stick into Genos and pretty much started playing.   I had to make some adjustments but it was pretty much plug and play.    So, I now play using my registrations, external files, external multipads, etc from the USB stick permanently plugged into Genos top USB port.

At the root of USB stick I have one folder each for:
Registrations
External Styles
External multipads
Midi files

I also use SongBook+ on my ipad and associated PDF's in iPad to the USB-Genos registrations.

My understanding was that Genos did not have a HD and I wrongly assumed that the USB stick must be used to keep registrations, etc.   Yes, I read the Genos user manual and found that the manual indicated you could save your registrations to the user drive or the USB drive.   However, my mind was pre-programmed to only use the user area for temp work.

Lately, i have been reading some posts where other members indicate they use the Genos user drive as the main repository and only use the USB stick to backup.   That's seems like a good idea and get rids of the permanent USB sticking out.

So, i am planning on transferring everything from the USB stick to the Genos user area.   I will keep the same file structure i currently have in the USB stick.

My question is . . . . .  do i need to make any special preparations before copying from USB stick to Genos user drive.   

I really do not want to mess this up.  Anything that i need to consider before this move ? 

I still do not understand how Genos will now make the new association of my registrations but trust that it should be the same as with the USB stick.

Will the SongBook+ lose the links . . . ? will i need to re-link everything . . . ?

I know this may be sort of a silly question, but too much time invested in my registrations, so i do not want to chance any mistakes.  Depending on recommendations i may or may not do it.

Any advise will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Stijn

Re: Genos - moving registrations from USB to user area - any tips ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 07:55:26 PM »
Hello Al,

The User drive is an SSD memory card of about 60 Gb. So there's plenty of space to store everything you need.
However, you need to be aware that Genos uses a hidden folder structure on this User Drive. The operating system uses a HIDDEN folder for every section.
These are the hidden folders used by Genos: EXPANSION, MULTI PAD, REGIST, SONG, STYLE, SYSTEM, TEXT and VOICE.

For instance, when you save a Style to the folder C:\My styles it will actually save it to the path C:\Style\My styles - the system will use the main folder 'Style' for all Style related files.

So, If you intend to move everything from the Tyros 5 Hard disk to the Genos User drive, then you will need to modify all your registrations so that they will address the correct files in the correct folder locations on the C:\ drive.
Much of this editing can be done on your PC with a program called 'Murray's Yamaha Registration Manager'. When using the Batch conversion of this program you can edit hundreds of registrations in a few seconds. That's how I changed 350 Tyros 5 registrations to the Genos system.

Your Songbook+ links will also need some attention.
The fact that your registrations work from the USB stick is because Yamaha added a feature in their 1.20 Update so that the instrument will search related files from all the connected USB flash drives, regardless of which drive path is specified.

Link to the program: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqw00rifaw6zgos/YRMsetup511A.rar?dl=0
Link to instructions:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/33qi8sy00xbvgcq/How%20to%20use%20Tyros%20HD%20contents%20on%20Genos%20USER.pdf?dl=0

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 05:51:51 PM »
Hello Stijn

I am so glad that i asked the question before embarking and I am also glad you responded.

Your answer provided me with a better and clear picture of the task ahead.   It looks like I would have to edit/adjust all my registrations and also the Songbook+ link.    I do not have that many, only about 300 but it seems like a daunting task.    I will try to do this on the computer first.  But it looks like, i will keep my current USB the way it is.   At least now I know.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Stijn

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »
You're welcome Al. I'm glad I could help.
Like you I don't like USB drives sticking out, so I went for it and transferred my Registrations to the User drive. I kept a backup of my Tyros 5 hard disk, just in case... and I still have it.

You can keep the folder structure that you used on your Tyros 5. Just copy section per section to the User drive and edit your Registrations using the batch option in the Yamaha Registration Manager. If you need help, just let me know.

Regards,
Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos