Author Topic: Yamaha "Audio Phraser" software questions  (Read 9009 times)

Offline chony

Yamaha "Audio Phraser" software questions
« on: August 05, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
I've been playing around with the "Audio Phraser" software. It's great in theory but I have 2 problems I'm trying to figure out.

1) Is is possible to trigger a fill in middle of a bar? When I play them on my keyboard, I can only trigger the fill at the start of the bar.

2) I chopped my WAVs into accurate 8 measure loops before importing them into Audio Phraser. But for some reason a few milliseconds are cut off the end of my loops so that when they recycle it sounds like the drummer sped up the beat. For example a particular loop is 11.73 seconds, but Audio Phraser allows a maximum "End time" of 11.66 seconds. Any way around this?

Re: Yamaha "Audio Phraser" software questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
I've been playing around with the "Audio Phraser" software. It's great in theory but I have 2 problems I'm trying to figure out.

1) Is is possible to trigger a fill in middle of a bar? When I play them on my keyboard, I can only trigger the fill at the start of the bar.

2) I chopped my WAVs into accurate 8 measure loops before importing them into Audio Phraser. But for some reason a few milliseconds are cut off the end of my loops so that when they recycle it sounds like the drummer sped up the beat. For example a particular loop is 11.73 seconds, but Audio Phraser allows a maximum "End time" of 11.66 seconds. Any way around this?
They are commonly known problems...
So.. The first problem I think is bug of Audio Phraser and we are waiting for them to fix..
In the second problem please press Cntrl+A from Computer Keyboard to select all milliseconds or Bars..

Offline Mikk

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »
Hi,
can this be used with a Tyros 4 arranger?
thank you,
mike.
I Believe in the K.I.S.S. Principle.

There is no cloud. It is storage space
                     on someones computer.

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »
Hi,
can this be used with a Tyros 4 arranger?
thank you,
mike.

Sorry, Mike, no. The T4 does not support audio styles.

WRT other issues, Yamaha needs to put more testing and work into Audio Phraser. I've literally patched its binary data files in order to get something to work.

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:46:39 PM by pjd »

The following users thanked this post: Mikk

beykock

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 04:20:20 PM »
Hi,

Where can I find this prog, plse ?
Free download ?

Plse advise.
Thank you for your feedback.

B

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »
Audio Phraser V1.0.0 for Windows 10/8.1/7 SP1
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/yap_win.html

beykock

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
Thank you very much for your fast reply, Panos ! 👍

B

Mendel

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 05:13:55 PM »
 hello,

a newbie question, in short what can audio phraser do,
and can it benefit my S970 in any way?

Offline chony

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 06:59:45 PM »
They are commonly known problems...
So.. The first problem I think is bug of Audio Phraser and we are waiting for them to fix..
In the second problem please press Cntrl+A from Computer Keyboard to select all milliseconds or Bars..

I’ve done that but its still missing a few ms.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 05:00:50 AM »
Sorry, Mike, no. The T4 does not support audio styles.

WRT other issues, Yamaha needs to put more testing and work into Audio Phraser. I've literally patched its binary files in order to get something to work.

All the best -- pj

If money is a problem, upgrade to tyros 5. It is possible to play Audio Style.
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Mendel

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 03:18:42 PM »
Anyone?

mendel

The following users thanked this post: Siegfried

Offline zionip

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »
hello,

a newbie question, in short what can audio phraser do,
and can it benefit my S970 in any way?

Snicker740 used Yamaha Audio Phraser to make his audio styles and he mentioned his Youtube video of his audio styles in the following discussion thread:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,45363.msg356879.html#msg356879

S970 can play audio styles as well.

Thanks,
Paul

Mendel

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 04:13:22 PM »
Hello Zionip,,

Thank you for your speedy reply, i wanted to clarify if my 970 can benefit the software
(meaning that i can make audio style for my 970). i know that my 970 can do audio :)

thank you,
mendel

Offline zionip

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 04:39:24 PM »
Hello Zionip,,

Thank you for your speedy reply, i wanted to clarify if my 970 can benefit the software
(meaning that i can make audio style for my 970). i know that my 970 can do audio :)

thank you,
mendel

Hi mendel,

Although Yamaha Audio Phraser is released for creating audio styles for Genos, I do not see why you cannot use it to create audio styles for your PSR-S970.  When I had the PSR-S970, I was able to load and play the audio styles of Tyros 5 on it, just like the Genos, because they both have the same tone genrator.  You can download Audio Phraser and try it yourself - though users complain that the program is buggy at version 1.0.0.

Windows version:  https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download/software/0/1165280/yap_v100_win.zip
Mac version:  https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/software/9/1165279/yap_v100_mac.zip

You might want to wait for a bug fixed version before jumping in.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline chony

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 12:57:38 AM »
I am not able to use the files I make with Audio Phraser on my Tyros 5. Just on Genos.

Offline zionip

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 01:45:10 AM »
I am not able to use the files I make with Audio Phraser on my Tyros 5. Just on Genos.

Hi chony,

Thanks for your information.

The logic that Tyros 5 cannot play the audio phraser produced files is that the Tyros 5 uses older generation SWP51L tone generator, whereas Genos and PSR-S970 use SWP70 tone generators, which are backward compatible with the SWP51L.  Therefore, Genos and PSR-S970 can play the audio styles of Tyros 5, but Tyros 5 cannot play files that are created for the SWP70 tone generators.

I speculate that the PSR-S970 should be able to play the files produced by the audio phraser since it has the same tone generator as the Genos (Genos has 2 x SWP70).

Thanks,
Paul

Mendel

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
Phew, I got scared after seeing Chony's reply i thought,
if T5 cant play 3rd party audio+ then of course s970 cant!
thanks for saving my day zionip ;)

mendel
p.s Chony, I feel bad for you.

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2022, 11:38:34 AM »
Hi chony,

Thanks for your information.

The logic that Tyros 5 cannot play the audio phraser produced files is that the Tyros 5 uses older generation SWP51L tone generator, whereas Genos and PSR-S970 use SWP70 tone generators, which are backward compatible with the SWP51L.  Therefore, Genos and PSR-S970 can play the audio styles of Tyros 5, but Tyros 5 cannot play files that are created for the SWP70 tone generators.

I speculate that the PSR-S970 should be able to play the files produced by the audio phraser since it has the same tone generator as the Genos (Genos has 2 x SWP70).

Thanks,
Paul
Hi Paul and others,
I still don't understand why the Tyros5 could not play the audio styles produced by the Audio Phraser software. In the application manual this is not very clear.
See this snippet:
"*The exported Style file can only be used via an instrument that supports Audio Styles as well as the SFF GE format" (Tyros5 has memory for this and works with this SFF GE format)
"*The exported Style file can be edited on the Style Creator function of the instrument that supports Audio Styles, as regarding parts other than the Audio Part." (In the tyros5 reference manual it says that it is not possible to combine an audio part of a style with another style, and that's it. It doesn't give more details). Wouldn't it be possible in theory to do the opposite, that is, add the midi part of one style with the audio part of another?

Anyway... I believe that the software will still be updated to correct the bugs and contemplate instruments that are not yet supported.
Otherwise, Yamaha would soon release the list of instruments compatible with the program.
It would be the same as not being able to use YEM on an instrument compatible with expansions, there being a very considerable list of keyboards there.
Regards,
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »
I just found a video I had already watched suggesting Audio Phraser compatibility with Tyros5. The compatible instruments, according to the tutorial, would be these:
Genos, tyros5, psrs950, psrs970, psrs975, psrsx900
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ZDgqPVR3Q

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2022, 07:17:28 PM »
Guys,
I just did a test here... I created an audio style in the audio phraser and exported it in .aus file. I created a new pack in YEM and added the file, then installed it on the keyboard....
Tyros5 normally recognized the audio style.
Continuing the experiments, I entered the style creator and managed to add the midi part normally directly on the keyboard. They are all reproduced and the process is the same as when creating a normal style.
I thought I wouldn't be able to add the midi part that way because I had done it with an audio style from Tyros itself, but when I make changes the audio part stops working. I believe it's because it's encrypted.
So yes, the Tyros5 plays audio styles created by the audio phraser.
I'm still doing more tests, when I finally manage to create something decent I'll show you the result.
Regards,
Gabriel