Author Topic: Failed to access data - USB  (Read 4123 times)

gdoakley@comcast.net

Failed to access data - USB
« on: August 04, 2018, 05:19:02 PM »
Problem: When I try to backup to USB or format a USB drive I get this message "failed to access data".
No one on this forum had seen this error message so I contacted Yamaha support. They could not replicate the error message.

They think that the expansion files are the problem. Here is the solution they gave me. "Delete your expansion styles, then backup to USB. When backup is completed, reload the expansion packs files. You may need to do the same with your expansion voices as well as styles, but having the original expansion file to load back in handy will make it easy"

Can someone give me some help on how to deleted the expansion pack files and styles on my Genos to see if this solution works. Right now I cannot backup anything. Or has anyone else gotten this message and have an alternate solution. Thanks

Offline EileenL

Re: Failed to access data - USB
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 11:15:16 PM »
If you are trying to copy content from User drive onto USB stick as a back up then press copy and then highlight the files. Press copy again and select your USB and press Copy Here. Do this with all folders of Registration Banks, Styles, Multi Pads and songs making sure you are in that section when copying.
  I have never heard of the flash memory content causing this problem.
Make sure you are using a reliable USB stick.

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:03:49 AM »
I have just backup my Genos, I have no error.
You don't have to remove your voice expansion or styles

In the Genos Reference Manual page 148:
Backup/Restore—Saving and Recalling All Data and Settings as a Single File

On page 2/2, you can back up all data saved in the User drive (except Expansion Voices/Styles) and all settings of the instrument to a USB flash drive as a single file named “Genos.bup.”
Before calling up the display, you need to make all desired settings on the instrument.

Touching [Backup] saves the backup file to the root directory of the USB flash drive. Touching [Restore] calls up the backup file and all data and settings are replaced.
If you want to include audio files, enter a checkmark to the “Include Audio files” beforehand.

NOTE    
•   Before using a USB flash drive, be sure to read “Connecting USB Devices” in the Owner’s Manual.
•   The [USB TO DEVICE] terminal underneath the instrument cannot be used when backing up or restoring the data.

NOTE    
•   You can back up User data such as Voice, Song, Style, and Registration Memory by copying them individually to a USB flash drive on the File Selection display.
•   If the total size of the target data for backup exceeds 3.9 GB (excluding Audio files), the backup function is not available. If this happens, back up the User data by copying the items individually.

NOTICE    
Completing the backup/restore operation may take a few minutes. Do not turn off the power during backup or restoring. If you turn off the power during backup or restoring, data may be lost or damaged.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 01:07:16 PM by deepsae48 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 12:43:18 PM »
With this Method you are restricted to the size of files.
I keep an exact copy of my USB content on my USB1 stick and to back up I simply remove from Genos and place in my computer and copy it to a folder that I have Named Genos Backup. Easy to do and that way I have two back ups. Should my computer fail I have USB backup and should my USB stick fail I have computer back up.

gdoakley@comcast.net

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »
Thank you, I will store/save using these methods. How do you backup or save the Favorites?

Also, since receiving my Genos I simply use the backup method creating a file name genos.bup which worked for months. I use the top USB slot. Then one day I get the error "failed to access data" which began this journey to find out how to fix this problem which Yamaha or no one else seems to how to fix. I tried a new USB stick a couple of days ago & I tried to format the USB stick and got the same error code "failed to access data". Very weird.

I have had many Yamaha keyboards all the starting with Motif. I now have a Montage and a Genos. I love everything both of these keyboards do, but this problem with the Genos is frustrating. I spent thousands of dollars on Yamaha gear and you would think they could provide me with a straightforward fix.