Author Topic: Left hand tricks, need some help please.  (Read 10218 times)

Offline Toril S

Left hand tricks, need some help please.
« on: August 01, 2018, 08:50:39 PM »
Hello friends!
I read somewhere that you can stop the style, ore just make the base play, and many other things,  by pressing three adjacent keys at the same time. I have definitely missed something, for it doesn't work. I have the keyboard in fingered or multifingered  mode. The datalist for S970 is in PDF, and that will not work so well for me because of Zoomtexst. So, is there an easy explanation? It would be much appreciated.

All the best :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:36:20 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline andyg

Re: Left hand tricks, need some help please.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 12:31:28 AM »
We call these 'smash chords'.

The easiest one to play to cancel all the accompaniment except the drums is C C# D (though any three adjacent notes including a black key will do). If you add a fourth note to the smash chord, it will cancel the accompaniment except for the bass and drums.

The smash chords work well with a fill-in or break at the same time. This calls for some swift left hand moves or putting the fill/break onto the footswitch.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 12:33:53 AM »
We call these 'smash chords'.

Unless you're playing '1 finger chords', switch to AI Fingered mode. If you're in Multifinger mode playing chords with 1 or 2 notes, I don't think the smash chords will work. Not sure about Fingered mode, I never use it.

The easiest one to play to cancel all the accompaniment except the drums is C C# D (though any three adjacent notes including a black key will do). If you add a fourth note to the smash chord, it will cancel the accompaniment except for the bass and drums.

The smash chords work well with a fill-in or break at the same time. This calls for some swift left hand moves or putting the fill/break onto the footswitch.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:32:24 AM »
Hi Toril S.,

this so called "Chord Cancel" or "Crash Chord" function ONLY works when using "Fingered" or "AI Fingered" as your Chord Fingering Type setting (NOT with "Multi Finger" or "Single Finger" settings!).

When you press THREE adjacent keys (like C-C#-D) simultaneously, a CRASH sound is generated, and only the DRUMS will play (as mentioned above by andyg).

When you press THREE adjacent keys and additionally press a FOURTH key (to the left of the other three notes), then only DRUMS and BASS will play. The BASS note is defined by that FOURTH key.

I found this little workshop in German language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sugkBLJphhc

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 02:25:46 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »
Thank you so much Andyg and Chris!😀 You saved my day😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »
Hello Torril,

As on the Tyros 4, to stop the style it is very convenient to use the function "SYNCHRO STOP WINDOW" see page 28 of the reference manual of your PSR S 970. Thank you Mr. Yamaha !!

You have to set the function to "ON" if you quickly tune a chord and release it, the style stops instantaneously and it resumes from a new chord.

"This determines how long you can hold a chord before the Synchro Stop
function is automatically canceled. When the [SYNC STOP] button is
turned off and this is set to a value other than "OFF," this automatically
cancels the Synchro Stop function if you hold a chord
time set here. This conveniently resets Style playback control to normal,
letting you release the keys and still have the Style play. In other words, if
you release the keys here, the Synchro Stop function
works."

Best regards

Jean-Pierre 33
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:00:37 AM by Jean-Pierre 33 »

The following users thanked this post: Mikk

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 01:23:48 PM »
Thanks Jean-Pierre😀😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 02:45:22 PM »
Hello everybody!

Does anyone know how to put a "Crash chord" into a personal style?
Where is hidden the (dish) "chord crash" in style?

Thank you

Hug to everyone!
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 06:13:41 PM »
Hello everybody!

Does anyone know how to put a "Crash chord" into a personal style?
Where is hidden the (dish) "chord crash" in style?

A crash chord simply silences the accompaniment channels of the style. So just turn those channels off in the style you’re making.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Enildo

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »
A crash chord simply silences the accompaniment channels of the style. So just turn those channels off in the style you’re making.

Fred

Thanks for the answer Fred, you are one of the greats of this forum.
But maybe I was not very clear on my question, what I want to know is how
put the sound of the "crash", when the other tracks are muted.

Enildo

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 01:55:27 AM »
Thanks for the answer Fred, you are one of the greats of this forum.
But maybe I was not very clear on my question, what I want to know is how
put the sound of the "crash", when the other tracks are muted.

Enildo

Contrary to what Chris said, I don’t get a crash when I use the three-finger trick. It just mutes the accompaniment channels, playing only the drum tracks. You might get an unexpected sound, but it’s only the accomplishment channels being cut off arbitrarily.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline panos

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »
I tested and on the s750 is also pruducing that crash sound.
Maybe it doesn't do this sound in all models?
Enildo you still can assign a Main (or for example intro2 or ending 2) by copying only the drum pattern using the assembly function to that Main(or intro,or ending)

Drum parts like Dum 1 & Drum 2  are always unlock,
so in Edit tab of the Style Creator you can add a crach sound at the beginning of the pattern without effecting the rest of the pattern.
(At the Edit tab are all the notes of each part one by one and you can hear them while you navigate down with the B button)

You can also do it with the rec button on at the Drum 2 part whlile the style is playing and add a crash sound.
Other notes of the Drum 2 pattern won't be deleted also.

In order not to hear that crash sound for many bars you have to make first that Main lets say 8 bar  pattern
(Style Creator-Basic Tab-Pattern Length=8)
and then add the crash sound only at the first bar.

I hope you are familiar with the style creator to do these things or maybe somebody wants to know how to use the style creator function, little by little.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:30:38 AM by panos »

Offline andyg

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »
There has never been a 'crash' sound when I have used the three finger 'smash' chord. Instruments used being PSR2000, 3000, PSR-S900, 910, 970, 770, Tyros 2,3,4,5 and Genos. My students use them all the time.

All that happens is the chord and pad sounds in the style are muted, leaving just the drums.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »
The so-called crash is a cymbal sound. I have only briefly experimented with it as a curiosity in the past  (3 or 4  consecutive notes played when you often use a prominent left hand voice is not a good idea. You could argue that when 3 consecutive LH notes are played the  left voice should not sound them!).
But I have heard  the cymbal sound on Tyros's and now on Genos, although, as with typical Yamaha legacy setups the effect is quite low key and can easily be masked by the other parts.

John 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:35:07 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
Hi Panos!
I fully understood what you meant, and I already do this in various styles.
Sometimes I set the Pattern Length to 16 or 32 (max).
Thanks for the help, but I actually wanted to understand how yamaha puts that hidden "crash" sound.
Searching here, I realized that it is only possible in SFF2 styles. When it is changed from SFF2 to SFF1, the "crash" disappears.

Hug,
Enildo
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:45:59 PM by Enildo »

Offline panos

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 04:07:51 PM »
The cymbal which is using it is the last note of the fill in of the main you are in
and the drum set of the fill in (of the style part: Rhythm 2).
If you go to the Edit tab of the style creator for the fill in you can see that sound usually at time 001:4:1900.
(Styke Creator-fill in-rhythm 2-Edit tab)

This means that this sound will ne heard at the end of the fill in but also at the beginning of the Main at 01:1:0000
(We will hear this along with the first beat of the first bar of the Main)

Just tested this function on my keyboard to figure out how it works.
Here is an example where you can hear the cymbal sound:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UbJCCSB8mHl1fmvw6BbXDOf1geFRlOVS

PS
In case you want to hear the cymbal again while only the drums are playing hit 3 different keys than the first 3 you pressed and you will have this sound once again.
(C-C#-D and next beat D-D#-E)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:13:48 PM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
Thanks Panos!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 08:30:11 PM »
The cymbal which is using it is the last note of the fill in of the main you are in
and the drum set of the fill in (of the style part: Rhythm 2).
If you go to the Edit tab of the style creator for the fill in you can see that sound usually at time 001:4:1900.
(Styke Creator-fill in-rhythm 2-Edit tab)

This means that this sound will ne heard at the end of the fill in but also at the beginning of the Main at 01:1:0000
(We will hear this along with the first beat of the first bar of the Main)

Just tested this function on my keyboard to figure out how it works.
Here is an example where you can hear the cymbal sound:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UbJCCSB8mHl1fmvw6BbXDOf1geFRlOVS

PS
In case you want to hear the cymbal again while only the drums are playing hit 3 different keys than the first 3 you pressed and you will have this sound once again.
(C-C#-D and next beat D-D#-E)

Unfortunately it is not yet.
I deleted all the "fill-ins" of a style and even then the "cymbal" is played.
Then I just left the "Main B" section, and erased all the sections and even then the "cymbal" is heard.
I tried to do it the way you taught it in a user style, putting the "cymbal" in time 001: 4: 1900, but it does not work.
What style did you show you started as a "new style" in Style Creator?

Thank you
Enildo
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 08:36:13 PM by Enildo »

Offline panos

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 08:58:46 PM »
The style I have used for the example is the preset Hard Rock style in the Pop & Rock section(part Main C).
I didn't do anything to the original style I just played some chords,used the "trick" and recorded the midi.

Before doing this, I have played 2-3 other styles and noticed that the cymbal sound is always in the "fill in" part and always from the same drum set of each style but not the same note.
In different drum sets a cybal may be the  E2 note or the D#3 or wherever and sounds different.
That is why I have assumed that somehow the keyboard is using that specific note when you press the 3 keys.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 09:04:49 PM »
The style I have used for the example is the preset Hard Rock style in the Pop & Rock section(part Main C).
I didn't do anything to the original style I just played some chords,used the "trick" and recorded the midi.

Before doing this, I have played 2-3 other styles and noticed that the cymbal sound is always in the "fill in" part and always from the same drum set of each style but not the same note.
In different drum sets a cybal may be the  E2 note or the D#3 or wherever and sounds different.
That is why I have assumed that somehow the keyboard is using that specific note when you press the 3 keys.

Unfortunately that's not it, my friend Panos.
Keyboard styles crash cymbal, but if you make a new style it is not possible.
The Cymbal at the end of each Fill-in (ABCD or Break), is not cymbal ocuto of the crash.
Try to do the same with a "new style" and you will see that it will not work.
Another thing, delete the cymbal in the Fill-in 001: 4: 1900, and you will see that the hidden cymbal will play the same way.

Thank you,
Enildo

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 09:54:06 PM »
Hi Enildo and Panos,

This is quite an interesting 'puzzle'.   ;) ???

In styles where the 'crash' sound occurs, as far as I can see (hear?) it seems to always use the current sound in C#2 (MIDI note 49) of voice (drumkit) currently used for the RHY2 style part. 

To check this out I modified a preset drumkit on my Tyros4 so that it used a hand clap sound for MIDI note 49 instead of a cymbal, and saved it as a 'Custom Drum' voice.   Sure enough, when the RHY2 part of the style was revoiced with this modified 'custom' drum kit, the 'crash' sound changed to a hand clap.

As Enildo says, this happens even if the C#2 notes at the end of the Fill In sections of the style are deleted, so it does not seem to be these that are triggering the 'crash'!

However in styles where the crash does not occur, I have not been able to add one!

The format of a specific style does not seem to be the only issue here, since I have an SFF1 style which produces a crash!  However this may have originated from an SFF2 format style which has subsequently been converted to SFF1 by someone!  It could also be that it is something that is only recognised and triggered on a keyboard with an SFF2 native format style engine.

I don't really use the 'Cancel' chords, so to me it is only of academic interest, but it would still be interesting to work out exactly what triggers the 'crash' and see if it could be inserted into any style at will, even if this needed to be done by a computer using MixMaster or the like, which offer far superior editing capabilities to Yamaha's Style Creator on the keyboard.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:55:24 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 10:37:32 PM »
Ian, thank you for your contribution and we will continue to persist.
Somewhere this Cymbal (or any other drum piece) has that it is.
It will be very interesting to understand how it works, because we can add a vignette, a scream or any other sound transformed into midi, through this knowledge.

Regards,
Enildo

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
 :)

Hello, :)

This trick is one of my fav's.    (during play press 3 keys neighboring to cancel all tracks except 1 and 2)
There are different drum patterns also in the intro section as well as the endings.   Lots of variety available for
percussion sequences in one's song play.   I suspect that the cymbal might be present in one of the intros.
Cannot check it out now,, but there was a live audio marching band either on the ty5 or the s970 and the intro
had slightly different percussion.
Just make sure have the right fingering mode and then have fun.

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline Toril S

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »
It works for me now😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 02:35:12 PM »
:)

Hello, :)

This trick is one of my fav's.    (during play press 3 keys neighboring to cancel all tracks except 1 and 2)
There are different drum patterns also in the intro section as well as the endings.   Lots of variety available for
percussion sequences in one's song play.   I suspect that the cymbal might be present in one of the intros.
Cannot check it out now,, but there was a live audio marching band either on the ty5 or the s970 and the intro
had slightly different percussion.
Just make sure have the right fingering mode and then have fun.

cheers
elaine

Hello Elaine,

No, Cymbal is not in the Intros. I deleted all the sections (Intros I, II and III, Main A, C and D, Fill ins ABCD and Break and Endings I, II and III, left only the Main B and Cymbal is still there. Main B left only one Drum piece and Cymbal continues to play.
This mystery is very interesting! lol

cheers,
Enildo

Offline Toril S

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 04:22:09 PM »
Your keyboard is haunted! :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »
Your keyboard is haunted! :)

Everyone is! lol

Offline Toril S

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 05:16:28 PM »
Yes. The evil ghost got the best of my S970 today. It is in the hospital.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 09:27:53 PM »
Too bad Toril, but I hope he is discharged soon and with his health in perfect condition.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 09:33:45 PM »
Thanks, Enildo!
Toril S

and PSR-47.