Author Topic: Registration memory question  (Read 9843 times)

Registration memory question
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:16:17 PM »
Hi team,

Several years ago, I downloaded a custom style someone created for Pretty Woman. I believe it was for my Tyros 4. I altered a few things in the style, saved it to the User Style area of the T4, and then to a registration, and it worked flawlessly for 10 years. Fast forward to my Genos. I am now having trouble with the Registration memorizing the style parameters consistently. I put the Pretty Woman custom style into the Style User area, changed the drums to Revo and altered the transposition. Now, randomly the key changes and the drums revert to some old legacy set. My singer does this song in E but when I opened the Registration during our last show, the song was transposed to G!! I know this is not a flaw in the Genos, but does anyone have any idea why the style is not staying consistent??
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Pino

Re: Registration memory question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
Load your style into MixMaster and open the ‘event list’

You will probably find that the old data is still on the file

You can delete the old drum kit and make many changes here

Re; registration, you can delete and redo.

Pino

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 02:40:22 PM »
Thanks, Pino! I shall give it a try.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:20:17 PM »
Hi team,

.... a custom style......worked flawlessly for 10 years. ...... I am now having trouble with the Registration memorizing the style parameters consistently. ...... I know this is not a flaw in the Genos, but does anyone have any idea why the style is not staying consistent??

Hi Lee,

Sounds awful to say so, :-[  but honestly it is very relieving that someone like you  - who unlike me cannot be claimed to be  negative or posting about problems that do not exist -  posts about the same problems I  still have not been able to solve and no-one has been able to help me with. Good to know this is not a flaw in the Genos.  ;)
Please post whether MixMaster solved the problem. I am afraid  though if you really need a software that comprehensive (and complicated) I will not be able to use it to cure dozens of registrations being non-consistent due  custom styles.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 09:49:03 PM »
Sounds awful to say so, :-[  but honestly it is very relieving that someone like you  - who unlike me cannot be claimed to be  negative or posting about problems that do not exist -  posts about the same problems I  still have not been able to solve and no-one has been able to help me with. Good to know this is not a flaw in the Genos.  ;)
Please post whether MixMaster solved the problem. I am afraid  though if you really need a software that comprehensive (and complicated) I will not be able to use it to cure dozens of registrations being non-consistent due  custom styles.

Kaarlo,

You forgot about the part where Lee modified his style after porting it to the Genos. Intentionally misleading readers will not help your cause.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online EileenL

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 11:53:01 PM »
Hi Lee,
  Check that your keyboard transpose is set to Keyboard and not master. Also check that the drum part in the style is not set to a different kit on any variation. Some styles are.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 11:58:26 PM »
This is the true function of this forum - people coming to the aid of a confused player :). I'll try your suggestions and see if I can find some common denominator.

I did a show today where I tried to use a custom style that I had designed on my T5, saved to the User area on the Genos, and then the Registration bank. It failed. Please tell me I don't have to go through all my custom styles and do "whatever" so there are no surprises. In spite of the genius behind the MixMaster program, it's way to complicated for me! I am familiar with the Data list in Cubase but all those Sys Exe messages are totally off the wall.

Sadly, I brought all my custom styles through three Tyros keyboards without a hitch. All of a sudden, I'm getting random failures when playing them with the Genos...not good!!!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 12:57:15 AM »
This is the true function of this forum - people coming to the aid of a confused player :). I'll try your suggestions and see if I can find some common denominator.

I did a show today where I tried to use a custom style that I had designed on my T5, saved to the User area on the Genos, and then the Registration bank. It failed. Please tell me I don't have to go through all my custom styles and do "whatever" so there are no surprises. In spite of the genius behind the MixMaster program, it's way to complicated for me! I am familiar with the Data list in Cubase but all those Sys Exe messages are totally off the wall.

Sadly, I brought all my custom styles through three Tyros keyboards without a hitch. All of a sudden, I'm getting random failures when playing them with the Genos...not good!!!

Post your registration so we can have a look at it. And tell us what you mean by "it failed".

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Online EileenL

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 10:50:45 AM »
Hi Lee,
  When you saved your custom style to User did you then save your registration to user as well. If so you will need to relink it to the style and then save back onto the user.
  If like many of us you copied your files from Tyros 5 hard drive to USB the links will work. It is when you move them to USER they need re-linking. I installed my copy of Tyros 5 Hard Drive onto the USB stick I have in the underside USB port which then becomes USB 1 and use from there with no problem.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
You may be onto something, Eileen. I'm not sure I went through that incredibly convoluted process because you never had to do that on the Tyros. That may explain the failure.

Fred - you're right. "It failed" is vague. What I meant was, the registration did not memorize the User style. Instead, the Genos memorized some Dance style. Funny, this has happened a few times and the same Dance style was subbed for the User style.

MarkZ -  many thanks for posting those styles for Pretty Woman. I'll give them a whirl, if I can ever figure out Eileen's suggestion (LOL)!

I'm going to give Eileen's method a try and post back. If that fails, I'll upload the style. I know it's pilot error, not the airplane :)! Thanks all...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:52:15 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Online EileenL

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 02:28:03 PM »
Hi Lee,
Here is a little article I wrote for my members. You may find it helpful.

Hello folks and congratulations to all who have or are getting Genos.

As you know the Genos dose not now have a hard drive but a 56Gb user section and provision for a USB port underneath the keyboard in which you can securely plug a large capacity USB stick. Note the flap underneath the keyboard has one screw. Be careful when removing it that you don't drop it inside I would suggest getting a 64Gb but of coarse the choice is yours.
Always format the stick on Genos before use.

Firstly copy the content of your Tyros Hard Drive to computer. Now copy that to the root directory of the USB you have chosen . If you have also downloaded the additional Playlist copy this also to the same stick. Place the USB in the underneath USB port. Use your registrations from the USB and you will find every thing will be linked as it was on your Tyros. NOTE that if you then want to transfer to the user section, the links to style and other things you may have set up will be broken and you will have to re-do them. It is therefore best to use this USB as a second Hard Drive. You can of coarse transfer any Midi Files or Audio recording to the user and then delete them from the stick if desired. The choice is yours.
Hope this Helps.

Also if you are going to use the extended playlist this also needs to be saved onto this stick as it will only work properly from here.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 02:44:22 PM »
You may be onto something, Eileen. I'm not sure I went through that incredibly convoluted process because you never had to do that on the Tyros. That may explain the failure.

Fred - you're right. "It failed" is vague. What I meant was, the registration did not memorize the User style. Instead, the Genos memorized some Dance style. Funny, this has happened a few times and the same Dance style was subbed for the User style.

MarkZ -  many thanks for posting those styles for Pretty Woman. I'll give them a whirl, if I can ever figure out Eileen's suggestion (LOL)!

I'm going to give Eileen's method a try and post back. If that fails, I'll upload the style. I know it's pilot error, not the airplane :)! Thanks all...

Lee,

There is nothing "incredibly convoluted" about memorizing registrations on the Genos. It's excactly the same as on the Tyros. It's only people who make it convoluted.

Unfortunately, there is no difference in the registration process between a Tyros and a Genos. I say "unfortunately", because Yamaha could have made it better, but they didn't. It's exactly the same.

Regards,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Online EileenL

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 06:12:43 PM »
Yes you are correct Fred. We used to copy contents from Keyboard Hard Drive to computer and then from computer to new keyboard hard drive. This gave us a photographic copy to our new keyboard as it was on our previous one. We did not have any problems. The only difference with Genos is that you copy from computer to USB stick. I am now looking at a photographic picture of my Tyros 5 Hard drive where everything links as it did on Ty 5. All gig sets are there and all my other folder with Styles, Registrations, Multi Pads, Songs etc. 

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »
At the moment I saw that Lee writes that making a Registration
is an incredible convoluted process I think that Lee Batchelor is
not serious with his problem .

Like Fred wrote making a Registration on Tyros 4 or 5 is exactly the same
as on a Genos .

The message of Lee is fake to me , I thought that I could trust him but
now I think that his message is " Bashing the Genos "

I wouldn't be so hard on Lee, Mark. It can be very frustrating getting registrations working the way you want.

I find it much easier to get them working properly when I:
1. Understand the problem is always operator error. It's much easier to fix problems when I know I'm the source of them.
2. When a registration isn't working the way I want, I simply re-memorize it.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 09:17:47 PM »
Mark, I'm not bashing the Genos. Don't be putting those thoughts out there.

What I am saying is, I did everything I used to do when upgrading from one Tyros to another. The difference this time is, there are a few registrations that didn't "stick" on the Genos, if that's the correct word. When I switched everything from my T5 to the Genos, I saved all my user styles to a USB drive, and then loaded them to the User style area of the Genos. When I opened the corresponding registration, it pointed to a system style. Fine. I edited the registration to point to the user style, and then re-saved the registration AND yet, I've had a few registrations that did point to my user style when I opened them on a gig. It pointed to the original system style. I used the word convoluted, in anticipation of having to augment the original Tyros method with yet more steps. Apparently, that's not true. I must be doing something wrong.

Eileen, thanks for the narrative. I'll give it a read.
Fred, thanks for coming to my defense.

I'm still calling it pilot error if you understand the metaphor. It must be something I'm not getting right. It's not the Genos. I'll keep track of the issues and how I've tried to repair them. I'll post back for more abuse if things go wrong :).

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 01:31:58 PM »
Mark, I'm not bashing the Genos. Don't be putting those thoughts out ......[quote

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear friend on the PSR-tutorial.

As  this is about registration problems I hope i am not off topic.
There are those who believe all men are created equal.  I do not. There are some 5000 members on this site, but there is one who stands head and shoulder above the rest, huge experience,  1142 postings,  over 200  likes, 75 thanks,  digging deep into other members' problems .....This is one more HUGE THANKS to Lee Batchelor    :)

-   it has been claimed I am my worst enemy,
-   I have been scolded  for saying my problem perhaps is a specimen problem, not a Genos defect
-   someone wrote I am incompetent to be on this site,
-      someone posted "a personal attack"
-   someone called me a clown
-   someone called me a liar. 

Recently a  poster said I was lying because I said I have not yet bought a Genos and claim I am having gigs with one.  As a fact I have two Genos here from the importer but have not bought one yet. (I am thankful the YAMAHA importer does not believe I am an idiot.)

Lee Batchelor entered into a serious long private mail exchange,
looked at photos of the display (others said photos do not help)  and checked reg banks.  He wasted  countless hours  of his valuable time trying to help me. AND NOT IN VAIN.

Unlike all others Lee came to the conclusion, the Genos I have here does have a technical problem,  a very strange one as  it seems as no-one else has encountered it and even a service reset will neither  show it or cure it.

Lee’s analysis led to  the conclusion that “my” Genos has the following defect:  it  can read registrations correctly from EXISTING banks but is unable to save one CREATED on it. ::)

With Lee’s help I was finally after 6 months of frustration able to deduct what the problem is and for the time being it is solved bye an interim method.
His advice prodded me to do the huge job of copying all 100  corrupt reg banks from “my” Genos to a USB stick, upload them to Genos nr 2,  correct all the errors and copy the corrected banks from the stick back to the user drive on  “my” Genos.

They now all work as they were programmed. 
;D ;D ;D ;D

I am still unable to create new banks on “my” Genos  but the YAMAHA importer has promised to get the parts needed to fix that.  I am returning Genos II to-morrow and will effectuate the exchange deal (Tyros 5/6)  as he has proposed all along when everything is fixed. I am sure the Finnish YAMAHA importer gives better customer service than most.

Cheers
Kaarlo

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 03:13:13 PM »
In other words, you re-memorized your registrations, and it solved your problem.

Isn’t that what we’ve been saying all along, Kaarlo?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »
In other words, you re-memorized your registrations, and it solved your problem.

Isn’t that what we’ve been saying all along, Kaarlo?

Cheers,
Fred

Thanks Fred,

not quite exactly, it had to be done from scratch  on another Genos. It could not be re-memorized on "my" Genos. The importer sent me a second one.  "My" Genos,  (which I have still not  yet purchased) the specimen I have been writing  about here on the site still will not memorize correctly  a reg bank that was correctly created and saved on that very instrument. I hope you believe me when I say I do know how to go about creating and saving a reg bank.  I have done it at least 200 times on Genos and thousands of times on the Tyros series.
You make it, you save it.  But when you call it up it is corrupted and useless.  What makes me so thankful to Lee is that he understood there must be a defect in that particular Genos,  something that has nothing to do with user incompetence others are so sure i posess in rare abundance.

For you this is unnecessary but let me for others who might be new to keyboards, try to explain the problem using MS Word which I believe everyone is familiar with.  It is like writing a Word document  on your PC  A.  You  see what you write is correct. To make sure you have it  you press the "save as button" and there you see the document  icon  sitting on your PC A desktop. To make sure it was saved corretly you click the icon  and if PC A  functions you should have the text in front of you[/i]. To continue the analogy with "my" Genos: when you click your Word document it is unreadable, every second line is garbage.

So you have to go to PC B, write your document once again from scratch and save it on that PC B.  To get a correct version on PC A you must copy the saved Word  document on PC B  to a stick, insert the stick into  PC A,  and there you can read it because the save function on PC B works whereas it does not on PC A.  All the reg banks I made on "my Genos" were not saved correctly, all the reg banks made on the other Genos and copied to "my Genos"  are flawless.

Having manufactured target drones  which are rather complicated GPS guided contraptions I know  my people  would say "again a complaint,  user error" I kept telling them, never say that to an experienced  drone pilot, once in a while he might be right. Of the over 1000 target drones we have delivered  there have been GPS units that did have a defect  that did not show up in our test flight.

No hard feelings, Lee is a PSR-Tutorialist, so in the end on this site I did get help which I have not gotten on other sites.

Cheers

Kaarlo

PS. I remenber what you wrote me when I was unsure  whether you felt I should quit. You wrote, "no, I would rather see you being helped."  As a fact that is what has happened.

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 09:41:12 PM »
Thank you for your kind words, Kaarlo. I hope your Genos B is as reliable as everyone else's. I'm sure it will be. We should all remember the prime purpose of this forum, and that is to seek out advice from those who enjoy the same instrument and to ultimately make music that enhances the lives around us.

I played a 55th wedding anniversary yesterday for about 100 people outdoors, and had no less than 10 people come up and tell me that the sound from the Genos was "CD quality and sounded like a real band." I was playing background to a lead singer who played acoustic guitar. They also said the vocals were amazing. Truth is, I normally sing a bit of background harmony but also enjoy using the Genos harmonizer. It makes me sound really professional! A great time was had by all!

Stay well all...Lee

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »
Hi again,

In this thread, MarkZ had posted some Pretty Woman styles for me to try. I want to download them, but they have disappeared!! I did a search and it says the styles are in this thread, and yet...they aren't.

Why have they disappeared? MarkZ, can you post them again? Very frustrating because I'm still having trouble with my original style after saving it every way I know how!! It keeps changing the drum kit and volume levels. I tried opening it in the MixMaster program, but I don’t have time to figure out all the Yamaha data. Too confusing. I'd rather use Mark's styles because they are not likely corrupted. Are you there Mark? Thanks.

Mark Z.

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 05:41:31 PM »
Maybe to morrow if they are still in my Keyboard .
I cleaned up something but I will take a look .

MarkZ.

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
Thanks Mark! Still don't know why they disappeared from this thread?

Offline Stijn

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »
Here are the "Pretty Woman" styles that I have.
Maybe you find something that suits you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0qfixyn0aiu1fs/pretty%20woman.rar?dl=0

Regards,
Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: loendersloot, AlBags

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
Wow, many thanks Stijn!! Mark, if you have them, great. I'd still like to hear them. If not, no worries. Thanks for the efforts guys!

Mark Z.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 08:09:08 AM »
Here are three Styles for Pretty Woman , I found them back on
a Back Up Stick . They have Revo Drums .

Maybe they can still be useful .

MarkZ.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:12:01 AM by Mark Z. »

The following users thanked this post: AlBags

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 08:53:01 PM »
Many thanks, MarkZ!