Author Topic: Genos - column stand ? anyone has one ? your opinion please  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Al Ram

Hello Forum Friends

I have been considering a column stand for Genos.   Mostly thinking about easier transportation.  I currently have a Z stand for double keyboards that i use for home and one portable X stand that i use for outside home. 

The X stand is light but still bulky when transporting.   Additionally, i have a mic stand that i also have to transport when playing outside.    The column stand seems to have an adapter for the mic boom therefore eliminating the mic stand.

I am wondering if the column stand similar to the one below would be lighter and easier to transport.   

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Support-Two-tier-Attachment-Ulti-Boom/dp/B0074A590K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_267_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C6A15HQJPNHMDJNF6B61

I am also concerned a bit about how stable the column stand would be, and if it is comfortable for playing, not sure if there is enough space for my feet.   

Anyone has any column stand like this one .. . . any comments ?  advantages ? issues ? concerns ?

thanks in advance.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline jtrue

Re: Genos - column stand ? anyone has one ? your opinion please
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:19:24 PM »
I have an older model Ultimate Support column stand that has been very satisfactory.  It's a little heavy but carries and sets up conveniently.  You really don't need the tote unless you are picky about minor scratches.  At one time I needed a small replacement part and Ultimate Support sent it to me without charge, well out of warranty, so I'd say their customer support is very good. In use you just have to be careful about people approaching you, as it has a slight tendency to tip toward you if they lean against it.  Certainly not a deal breaker, in my opinion. I don't have a boom attachment so can't comment on that feature. The link you provided shows the stand weighs 19 pounds and the boom attachment 2.5 pounds. Keyboard heights are completely adjustable.  Foot room is OK, especially if you play standing as I usually do, but if you use pedals the stand's feet might interfere with your preferred placement.  Note that, if your at-home setup faces a wall, the keyboard will be a bit farther away from the wall than with an X- or Z-stand.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 10:10:19 PM »
J.

Thanks a lot for your review of the stand.   It is very helpful.  After i read your comments i am realizing that this stand might be a bit heavier than expected.    I did not look at the weight in the specs before, but now that you mentioned it, yes, it is about 22 pounds.    I might defeat my purpose.  The tendency to tip forward is something to be aware of.

I will still think about it.

thanks a lot for your complete and prompt response.

it is highly appreciated.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 10:52:18 PM »
Ultimate Support keyboard stands are definitely good choices.

Personally, I think the K&M Spider Pro keyboard stand with optional accessories offers the highest degree of flexibility, but a bit on the expensive side:

More information on K&M Spider Pro keyboard stand (2-tier):
https://www.k-m.de/en/news/356_world_of_spider_pro.html

There is also a K&M Baby Spider Pro keyboard stand (single tier):
https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Keyboard-stands/Column-stands/18840-Keyboard-stand-Baby-Spider-Pro-anodized-aluminum

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 11:57:28 PM »
Paul

Thanks a lot for the info.  Yes, the K&M spider pro is an excellent choice.  I saw the K&M model before I saw the Ultimate model.    The only reason I considered the Ultimate instead of the K&M was price.       You are right the K&M it is on the pricey side.

I am not sure that i will continue considering these type of keyboards.  At 20 pounds or so, the weight is a factor. Although the boom extension might help in eliminating the need for an additional mic stand.

I will think about it  . . . . . 

I really appreciate your prompt response and knowledge.

Have a great day.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline AlBags

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:51:25 AM »

Hi ..

I bought a shiny aluminium Spider Pro stand and bag for my T5, and now I use for Genos.
Apart from having a very compact profile when folded down (and is quick to fold up) it's not heavy.
It certainly IS the most stable stand I ever saw. Now wobbling or movement when on its feet, and there is room inside feet for the 3 Yamaha pedals I use (Sustain, Expression, and a footswitch)
Fully adjustable arms, and playing height adjustment. The Genos does not fit back onto it as well as the Tyros5 (due to weird pointy shape of case at back) but still good.
Expensive stands, but well worth the expense.
Here's a pic of my old T5 on it.

Al.

[attachment deleted by admin]
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline Tommy 73

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:55:43 PM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline AlBags

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »

Yes .. I know 'copies' exist. These are from Brazil. Select outlets only in UK.
They dont cut it against the K&M equipment. Having said this, the K&M is twice the weight, but has heavier sections and tubing, and 4x feet. It really does not go anywhere when in place. Also there is a reinforcing plate to go on top which holds a boom, and they do lots of add-on accessories. Thomann Germany is good source, but plenty others in UK too. After seeing what else is on the market, I only buy K&M gear now.
The Spider Pro footprint is approx. 900 x 600mm
Excuse the mess! ......

Al.

[attachment deleted by admin]
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!