Author Topic: How to import styles E443?  (Read 7024 times)

chongjasmine

How to import styles E443?
« on: July 21, 2018, 11:55:03 PM »
How to import styles for E443?
Which style file format does E443 support?
Newbie here.

SeaGtGruff

Re: How to import styles E443?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:36:13 AM »
The PSR-E models support the "SFF1" version of Yamaha's style file format, so any style files that are in the "SFF2" (a.k.a. "SFF-GE") format must be converted to the "SFF1" format using a utility such as the Style Format 2 Converter program.

Additionally, the style file names must use the ".sty" file extension; and since any extra sections such as the "OTS" section won't work, they can be removed. This can be done using the Style Old Format Converter program. When using this utility, you can check (select) all options except for "Max. resolution 480" and "Use GM voices," because it's okay to use resolutions over 480 and non-GM voices.

Although it's okay for the style files to contain all four variations of the Intro, Main, Fill In, and Ending sections, the PSR-E models can use only two variations-- "A" and "B"-- so it's a good idea to use the Style Remixer program to move whichever variations you want to keep to the "A" and "B" positions and remove the others.

The style files must not be too large-- the maximum file size that will work is approximately 50kB-- so if a file is too large then it should be reduced in size using some method. Note that "remixing" the style's variations using the aforementioned program will reduce the file's size, but if it's still too large then it might be necessary to find additional ways to reduce its size. For instance, many (most?) styles for the PSR-E models seem to use only one Intro and one Ending section, even though they can actually use two Intro and two Ending sections, so you might want to remove one or the other of the Intro and Ending sections.

Next comes what can be one of the most important steps-- using a utility such as the Style Revoicer program to replace any voices that aren't available on your specific keyboard model with suitable voices that are available. And even if a style uses voices which are available on your keyboard, you still may want to replace them with better-sounding voices-- for example, you may want to replace "GM" and "XG" voices with appropriate "panel" voices.

The steps described above may sound lengthy and complicated, but they aren't as difficult or confusing as they might at first seem, and after you've processed a few style files and gotten used to the procedure then it should go more quickly and easily. Note that the final step-- revoicing the style-- can be omitted in many (most?) cases, because often times if the keyboard encounters a request for a voice it doesn't have, it will automatically choose a voice that it does have. This is not always the case, in which case the part that uses the requested voice will probably be "silent"; so you can generally skip the revoicing step unless the style obviously doesn't sound right, in which case you can revoice it as desired.

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:11:35 AM »
As mentioned by Sir Michael, SFF1 styles are compatible with E443, which are generally seen in the format "FILENAME.sty", however you should note that certain style files made for newer models like E453, E463 might not be compatible with your keyboard or otherwise it could choose certain different voices from keyboard that would not outcome the identical sound.
To add further, the I455/I425 or any other localized version of E series keyboards have entirely different panel arrangement. So the style files developed for those keyboards, once loaded in E443, would either output no sound at all, or make some weird noise.
I am not sure, but Yamaha musicsoft might have some styles but those are paid, even though you can find SFF1 styles on  psrtutorial style section for free.
Steps:
Format a flash drive beforehand to avoid issues. Through PC, put the style file in the root directory of USB drive, connect USB drive the power the keyboard, wait for keyboard to start, and then long press function button to begin, then use Category "+" "-"buttons, and Execute "+" "-" buttons to control. Hope it helps :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:14:54 AM by AnupamEnosh »

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 10:24:34 PM »
"For instance, many (most?) styles for the PSR-E models seem to use only one Intro and one Ending section, even though they can actually use two Intro and two Ending sections, so you might want to remove one or the other of the Intro and Ending sections."

I was wondering about this, as I have noticed this, as well, though I mainly use styles just for the drums.  But, yes, it seems like whether I use Intro A or Intro B, the drum pattern is the same.  Same for Ending A and Ending B.

So, my question is, since the style format has room for two intros and two endings, if you leave one out, wouldn't it just be silent?  In other words, if you load Intro A, but don't load anything for Intro B, and then you go to play Intro B after you load the style, would the style just be silent because no Intro B was loaded?  Or would the logic of the keyboard automatically revert back to playing Intro A if it found nothing in Intro B?
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 04:00:31 AM »
So, my question is, since the style format has room for two intros and two endings, if you leave one out, wouldn't it just be silent?  In other words, if you load Intro A, but don't load anything for Intro B, and then you go to play Intro B after you load the style, would the style just be silent because no Intro B was loaded?  Or would the logic of the keyboard automatically revert back to playing Intro A if it found nothing in Intro B?

On E-4xx keyboards, there is only one Intro part, and no matter if one plays INTRO->A or INTRO->B the keyboard is gonna play that same Intro.
Can't say the same for S-series keyboards.
Logically I presume, they could remain silent for that INTRO B part.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 06:54:23 AM »
Actually, some of the preset styles on the PSR-E4xx definitely do contain two different Intro sections, as you can sometimes see by choosing the style, switching to Main A, switching to Intro, and noting the number for the bar count on the panel display, then switching to Main B, switching to Intro, and noting the number. I'm talking about before you actually start the style playback. The panel will display the number of bars in the Intro, and you can sometimes see that Intro A and Intro B contain a different number of bars.

But it does seem as though certain styles contain only one Intro and one Ending. For instance, my YPT-400 (PSR-E403) came with a few additional styles on the CD-ROM, and those style files contained only one Intro and one Ending.

What happens if the file contains only one Intro (or Ending, or Main, or Fill In) is that the keyboard will play whichever variation is in the file, and if you attempt to select or switch to a different variation the keyboard will just continue to play the only available variation.