Author Topic: Faulty usb port  (Read 11165 times)

Offline davorolo

Faulty usb port
« on: July 21, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
Hi everyone.
My s-950 usb port is faulty and I'm really gutted,as you all know if the usb port doesn't work,you really only have half a workstation.
One day an error came up saying usb over surge,and ever since it doesn't even recognize that there is anything plugged in. I have tried different sticks and nothing.ive contacted various people Yamaha included asking for a ballpark price to have it fixed but all I ever get back is bring/send it in but I need to know how much I'm looking at,as I will need to save up to have the work done.
Can anyone advise?
I would be very grateful,I'm really frustrated bas you have been meeting lots of people latley who like my stuff and need the usb audio record function up and running.
Thanks in advance,
Davo x

Offline Toril S

Re: Faulty usb port
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 08:11:16 PM »
Hello my friend😀 I would try a soft reset first. Ir that do not bring life to your USB port I would try a factory reset. Keep in mind that a factory reset will delete all your settings and all you have saved on the keyboard. A soft reset will only delete the settings, your files will not be deleted.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline davorolo

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 08:21:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice toril your a star,I'll need too back up the stuff on my user drive first somehow,also I have no idea how to do a soft/factory reset could you explain for me pretty please?

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 08:35:54 PM »
Hello😀 To do a soft reset you hold down the first white key on the right side of your keyboard. Hold it down while powering up. Then  check if your  USB port has started  working. I believe it will. You have lost no files, but if you have done orher settings they have to be set again.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline davorolo

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »
Hello again,I did the soft reset,still nothing I'm afraid 🙍

Offline jtrue

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on your current situation, it sounds like you will have to have the keyboard repaired.  But I can offer a suggestion for the future.  Get a short USB extension cable. Plug one end into the keyboard's USB port and leave it there.  Then use the other end of the cable for attaching and removing USB memory devices. That will minimize wear and tear on the USB port and also make access to the USB devices more convenient. If the connection goes bad you will probably only have to replace the inexpensive extension cable and not face another expensive keyboard repair.

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/2ft-usb-2-0-extension-cable-a-male-right-angle-to-a-female.html#

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »
Good advice! I have done that.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 02:11:50 PM »
Hello Davo --

I wish that I could bring better news, but the USB to DEVICE port and electronics are on the S950's digital logic board (DM). Repair people prefer to replace whole boards rather than troubleshooting failed components on a board.

The Yamaha part number for the S950 DM board is ZG799902. (The old part number is WZ493400.) I checked the price on Yamaha's 24x7 parts site: $549.26.  https://www.yamaha24x7.com/

Perhaps you can find someone who is willing to troubleshoot the port and fix the board?

Sorry to deliver bad news. I got burned in a similar way when the USB port on my Apple Macbook Air got damaged (due to Apple's lousy physical design, BTW).

Hope this works out for you -- pj

Offline Jan-Eve

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »
Hi Davo. I have had a similer problem on my 950. A message came up on the display that: Too many files in one folder. And I couldn´t  open the USB files. I saved all files in the USB on my computer and put it back in the keyboard. Then I formated it, in the keyboard twice… So it was empty, then back to my computer and loaded in all files again. Now it works and has a normal behavior. I have learned that a backup is very good to have on your computer and perhaps an extra USB memory, just in case.

Good luck Davo, from Jan - Eve.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:55:55 PM by Jan-Eve »

Online EileenL

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »
This would happen with any Yamaha keyboard as A folder will only let you use around 200 to 250 files in it.

Davorolo has a different fault. It is always a good thing to get a small extension cable. I use one that I keep plugged into the Back USB port and is just long enough to reach round the front and this will take all the ware and tare of plugging in and out rather than the one on the keyboard itself.

Offline Marty

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 08:51:24 PM »
Hi,

The USB host port and USB device port use the same USB controller on the DM board.

Maybe worth checking out the USB host port with a connection to a PC.

Marty

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »
Hi,

The USB host port and USB device port use the same USB controller on the DM board.

Maybe worth checking out the USB host port with a connection to a PC.

Marty

Excellent suggestion, Marty!

The other component that may or may not be involved in the failure is the Ricoh R5524N002A-TR-FE which is the over-current protection device itself.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline AlBags

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 11:51:34 PM »

WE need a circuit diagram ...  So that will be a no then!!
A good electronic tech could replace a few components and try it.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 02:50:19 PM »
Here is the PSR-S950 USB circuit (from the Yamaha service manual). Please see the attached file (JPEG).

-- pj

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AlBags

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »

That's good .. Is there a component list/ with values in the manual?

Offline AlBags

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 07:40:20 PM »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 09:24:00 PM »
If you find a competent electronics, bench technician, one that knows how to test boards, he or she could easily diagnose the problem and make the needed repairs for far less than the cost of a new board. It is quite possible that the problem may be the result of a faulty or cold solder joint, which is a very easy fix in the hands of a good bench technician. These individuals still exist, but are very hard to find these days in our throwaway society.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline sooty8

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »
Good Advice thank  you, today I have brought two extension leads, one for my s950 and one for my Tyros 5.

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5