PSR Keyboards (11 Boards) > PSR-S950/S750/S650 (SFF2)

Faulty usb port

<< < (2/4) > >>

jtrue:
I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on your current situation, it sounds like you will have to have the keyboard repaired.  But I can offer a suggestion for the future.  Get a short USB extension cable. Plug one end into the keyboard's USB port and leave it there.  Then use the other end of the cable for attaching and removing USB memory devices. That will minimize wear and tear on the USB port and also make access to the USB devices more convenient. If the connection goes bad you will probably only have to replace the inexpensive extension cable and not face another expensive keyboard repair.

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/2ft-usb-2-0-extension-cable-a-male-right-angle-to-a-female.html#

j.

Toril S:
Good advice! I have done that.

pjd:
Hello Davo --

I wish that I could bring better news, but the USB to DEVICE port and electronics are on the S950's digital logic board (DM). Repair people prefer to replace whole boards rather than troubleshooting failed components on a board.

The Yamaha part number for the S950 DM board is ZG799902. (The old part number is WZ493400.) I checked the price on Yamaha's 24x7 parts site: $549.26.  https://www.yamaha24x7.com/

Perhaps you can find someone who is willing to troubleshoot the port and fix the board?

Sorry to deliver bad news. I got burned in a similar way when the USB port on my Apple Macbook Air got damaged (due to Apple's lousy physical design, BTW).

Hope this works out for you -- pj

Jan-Eve:
Hi Davo. I have had a similer problem on my 950. A message came up on the display that: Too many files in one folder. And I couldn´t  open the USB files. I saved all files in the USB on my computer and put it back in the keyboard. Then I formated it, in the keyboard twice… So it was empty, then back to my computer and loaded in all files again. Now it works and has a normal behavior. I have learned that a backup is very good to have on your computer and perhaps an extra USB memory, just in case.

Good luck Davo, from Jan - Eve.

EileenL:
This would happen with any Yamaha keyboard as A folder will only let you use around 200 to 250 files in it.

Davorolo has a different fault. It is always a good thing to get a small extension cable. I use one that I keep plugged into the Back USB port and is just long enough to reach round the front and this will take all the ware and tare of plugging in and out rather than the one on the keyboard itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version