Author Topic: 2 or 4 mic's through the 950 keyboard  (Read 6240 times)

Larry Warner

2 or 4 mic's through the 950 keyboard
« on: August 20, 2018, 08:23:52 PM »
I believe I brought this up several years ago but due to personal problems I could not follow through on it nor was the reactions very good at that time.  I hope to try this in the future again when I get much better.
I want a male and female singer using their own mic's to sing duet or quartet harmony but not in unison.  Each will have their own separate lines to sing so you will know the difference right away.  In this way I will have duet  as four people not two and when using quartet I will have instead of 4 people I will have 8 people singing their own lines of the song.  In either case I plan on 1 mic for the singers or 2 mic's each for the singers.

I hope I have made myself clear regarding this.  I had also contacted Yamaha years ago and they said at that time they would never consider something like that but it just might work.  My health went bad but I hope in a few more months to play again.  I hope.

Offline travlin-easy

Re: 2 or 4 mic's through the 950 keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 11:28:44 PM »
Larry, in order for this to work you must use a mixer with a mono output. You could use four adapter plugs and run this into a single, 1/4-inch phono plug, but the impedance mismatch would be absolutely horrible and at best you would get nothing more than garble at low volumes.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:12:53 AM »
I don't think it will work like you are thinking. In the 2 person example, both mics running into the keyboard (with the mixer) VH2 will still think it is one voice. I would think the VH2 would just harmonize to what it computes to being one voice and harmonize to it. It might be so confused to what it is receiving as input and the harmony might just be a total mess.

At best the VH2 would only a third voice. You would have the 2 live people and the third one would be the VH2 voice.

Just my guess.
Drake
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:17:33 AM by DrakeM »

Larry Warner

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 10:36:13 PM »
Gary and Drake

Thank you both very much for your comments.    Gary you have more in mind the same thing as I did.  This is what I had mentioned to the Yamaha man who called me.

I had planned on using a Radio Shack, 4 Channel Stereo Sound Mixer.  This has a switch for Stereo or Mono.
Yamaha thought if I kept it on Mono it just might work.

Being laid up for the passed several years, and wishing not to long in the future, I am still hoping to give it a try.  In the meantime I thought someone else just might be interested in this idea. 

I believe I am the oldest person on this site but not to old to still get some ideas.

Best wishes to you both and all members of Joe's wonderful  site and his administrators.  I always had great help when needed.

Larry

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:54:46 PM »
Hello Larry :) When i joined this forum a year ago, your music was the first I listened to. Great music, and I am so glad you are back! I hear some people use other machines that have vocal harmony. I believe it is a little box.  What about adding such a machine to the mixer in addition to the vocal harmony on the keyboard, then you maybe get four voices? There are many singers here, so you will get much input! Great idea. Hope you find a solution!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Larry Warner

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:03:53 PM »

Hi Toril S,

Thank you very much for your nice comment.

Larry