Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > Yamaha Keyboards - General

Capture MIDI (Windows 10) INEXPENSIVELY (Free is Best!)

(1/3) > >>

Dave Nuttall:
A friend with a Yamaha P-115 called and asked me if I would drive 130 miles one way to record her playing on her keyboard.   If I'm going to do it, I'm sure it will mean additional requests, so I'd like to set her up to be able to record herself and send me the results to edit/produce/whatever.

According to the specs, it has a HOST (type B USB) but no Type A, so I'm assuming the only way to get MIDI is capture on a PC....but what could anyone suggest that is either very low-or-no-cost software?

I'm pretty sure she won't be able to use a DAW (like ProTools free).

TIA.
Dave

SeaGtGruff:
A DAW would be the way to go, and some DAWs are easier to use than others. If you can get her set up and show her how to record her keyboard in the DAW, then hopefully she'll be able to do it by herself the next time. But you'll want to know how to use the DAW yourself before you try to show her, so hopefully either you both use the same operating system and can use the same DAW, or else you can choose a DAW that's available on both of your operating systems.

PreSonus Studio One has a free edition called Studio One Prime, and it's available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It won't let you record SysEx messages in the MIDI, and it does require a little bit of setting up as far as MIDI devices, but it's pretty easy to use once you've got things set up.

Tracktion has a free older version of their DAW-- which is called Tracktion, since the newer versions (called Waveform) aren't available for free yet-- and it is also available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Unlike Studio One, Tracktion does let you record SysEx messages, but to me it seems a little bit harder to learn than Studio One.

Avid Pro Tools has a free edition called Pro Tools First, but I find it to be very complicated; the reference manual is over 1300 pages long, which is never a good sign-- unless you're looking for a DAW that's so advanced and feature-rich that it takes over 1300 pages to explain.

There's also Cakewalk by BandLab, although I haven't tried it yet.

As far as DAWs for Windows, my personal favorite as far as ease of use is Acoustica Mixcraft, but it doesn't have a free edition. It also doesn't let you record SysEx messages.

Dave Nuttall:
I was not aware of the Presonus option, and agree 100% with regard to ProTools.
I've been using PT since ver. 7 and probably would go with something else if I didn't have so much time/energy and $$$ invested in it!.

I can check out Presonus before going.
Thanks!
d.

SeaGtGruff:
If you're planning to go the Studio One route, the first thing you need to know is that you'll need to set up the keyboard twice-- once as a MIDI input device, and once as a MIDI output device. Studio One uses different names for these two types of devices; if I remember correctly, a MIDI input device is a "keyboard," while a MIDI output device is an "instrument." The setup window for the input device will show the MIDI input channels separately, allowing you to enable either all of them or just specific ones. And the setup window for the output device will show the MIDI output channels separately, allowing you to enable either all of them or just specific ones.

Another thing to be aware of is that the free editions of commercial DAWs tend to be very limited in one way or another, often in terms of the number of audio and MIDI tracks you can use in a project. The companies really want you to buy one of their paid editions, and are generally going to give you just enough capabilities and features to entice you into their net, but with enough limitations that you feel inclined to pay for more.

Dave Nuttall:
I guess most people would suggest that Anvil Studio and MuseScore are for notation, but it looks like they will capture MIDI, so I think I'll make it an incremental journey:
Step 1: Anvil Studio or MuseScore
Step 2: Presonus free
Step 3: concentrate on creating the music and I'll engineer it!

Thanks for the ideas, Michael.
d.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version