Author Topic: Genoa vs pa4x  (Read 5412 times)

kmspecialties

Genoa vs pa4x
« on: July 18, 2018, 09:34:16 PM »
Hi All
Have been away a while. I am considering a Genos had t4 and korg pa4x. Can anyone give me feedback on both
Bob

Offline EileenL

Re: Genoa vs pa4x
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 09:09:50 PM »
Always the best advice is to try one for yourself. I would take Yamaha over Korg any day but others would be different.

DonM

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 11:42:30 PM »
Can't go wrong with either one.  I prefer the Korg because of the live controls, vocal harmonizer and more.  Your mileage may (and probably will) differ.
If you consider price it is an easy choice for me.
As Queen Eileen said, you'd best try them for yourself if any way possible.

Lhill1

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
I bought Korgs PA4X in 2016 after a tussle in the shop between the tyros5 and the Korg. I had wanted a Tyros since they launched but could never afford one!!
After listening to them both I went for the Korg over the Tyros. I owned the 4X for 15 months, and as much as I loved it and enjoyed playing it I found it very difficult to use. I likened it to owning a Android phone after you have spent years with IOS. I have had a middle of the range Yamaha for years and was very used to how they work.

So on hearing Genos was imminent I popped to my local store and put a deposit down. Second week in November I got the call to collect the Genos, I at this point hadn't played it or set eyes on one.
But after a demo from the Yamaha dudes including Richard Bower, I thought this is pretty spectacular. I got the chance to give it a road test before I took it home and heavens it was amazing. Not only was it straight forward to use but intuitive, even though the design was a little different its functionality hadn't been compromised.

So after having mine at home for 8 months or so what do I think. The Genos is an amazing instrument with life like sounds that can be adjusted so easily with real time controllers. To further enhance the sounds that are already superb. Styles are amazing the revo drums will shudder you to the ground with an unbelievable realism I have never heard before on a electronic instrument.
I could go on about the amazing ways you can change anything on the keyboard so easily and fine tune it to get it to sound exactly as you want without needing a degree in music engineering.

If someone now said to me id swap your Genos for a 4X id have to give it a miss.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:09:23 PM by Lhill1 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 07:41:48 PM »
Pleased to see you are enjoying Genos and not missing your Korg.

Offline gary3917

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 12:02:45 AM »
Well I must say ...I am a very slow learner and I have had experience with T3 ,T4 , and now the T5 ( just cant afford the Big Genos) and I also got a
korg PA4X and hated it . Just too complicated for me and here is my experience .
It is a shame but the Yamaha wins hands down (T5) !!  i absolutely love my new T5 and get butterflies when I play it. If the yammies sound like a CD sound....then I guess thats what I like . Had a great guy who had 2-T5 and traded me for my K PA4X .Can not be happier .Even swap out ....YAY .I was so bored with the Korg ..just could not connect to it and rarely played it ....not user friendly at all. But I'm back .Never thought I could be so enthused again .I will never leave Yamaha again .....just sayin
Gary
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
Mackie DLM8 Keyboard stereo Powered speakers and subwoofer

Offline AlBags

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 01:32:14 AM »

The Genos was added to this little list .. and they say it's king.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blog/2017/09/18/the-top-7-best-keyboard-workstations/

Al 👍😊
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Bachus

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 08:22:06 AM »
They are 2 tools with the same results
High end accompanies and sounds
Which one sounds better, thats up to everyone to decide for themselves

Where Korg shines is its depth..
Deep edditing and creation of sounds onboard
Many realtime features giving you direct controll
Style creator and midi to style converter..
Huge amount of controll trough Kaoss

Where yamaha excells is its easy accessible high end features
Like The ensemble voices and sa2 voices
Also the live controlls are much more accesible then Korgs Kaoss
The expendabillity trough expansion packs
The huge database of user created (song)styles

Yamaha stays on the surface where it comes to deep edditing
Korg dives deep but for many this makes the instrument confusing in some parts

Its up to you to make a decision...
The arpeggiator
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:24:08 AM by Bachus »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »
I likened it to owning a Android phone after you have spent years with IOS.

This is a very good comparison:

* Yamaha is like iOS. Everything is easily usable, offering a perfect user interface for standard situations.
* Korg is like Android. You can dive deeply into editing, but everything is more complicated.

I prefer iOS over Android for these reasons. ;)

(I have tried the PA900. Sound is very good, but I don't like the concept of usage.)
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 09:13:59 PM »
Here’s my thoughts I have both the Genos and Pa4x, each keyboard has its strengths. As much as I love the Genos they would have to pry my hands off of owning the Pa4x.   I get great audience reaction using either board but from a user standpoint as many improvements as have been made to the Genos for live play, the Pa4x is one notch up when it comes to live play.  Some days I take the Pa4x to gigs but most of the time it’s the Genos.  The real strong point for the Pa4x for me is the live controls for the vocal harmonized/mic control. 

Either way you can’t go wrong, you have to play what makes you happy and you have to demo one yourself as Eileen already wrote.

I too like what Lhill and Voodo wrote, Korg is more like Android and Yamaha is like iOS
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks