Author Topic: Professional demo of the PSR EW410 by Pop Music Russia  (Read 5411 times)

Offline vbdx66

Professional demo of the PSR EW410 by Pop Music Russia
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:29:38 PM »
Hello to all,

Here at last a professional demonstration of the PSR EW410 truly showing the advanced features of the keyboard (most of it is also applicable to the PSR EW463, excepted for the 76 keys and much better Live! Piano sound of the PSR EW410).

Pop Music Russia have been doing professional demonstration videos of keyboards and other music instruments for quite a long time now. Here it is:

https://youtu.be/7ltoSS5PcL8

Enjoy  8)

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

AnupamEnosh

Re: Professional demo of the PSR EW410 by Pop Music Russia
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 05:56:25 AM »
I wish the Live Grand Piano could have been sampled separately, and not just emulating the default Grand Piano sound by just tweaking a few parameters. The default Grand Piano sounds too harsh for my hearing. :-\

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »
@Anupam

Sir are you sure about this? To my ears the Live! Grand Piano sounds better than the regular Grand Piano, I find that the sample is purer, clearer and witless less noise (less muddy).

Regards,

Vinciane

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
Good video!  Though I think the owners of the PSR-S975 might have something to say about his claim that the PSR-EW410 is the "flagship of all PSR keyboards"!

I like how he was using the live control knobs -- presumably the filtering -- to emulate organ drawbars, enhancing the sound as he was playing.

I do have a concern about the sampling, however.  After he sampled that guitar, when he played the low note, there was a very noticeable delay between the time he hit the key and the time the keyboard played the sound.  You'd think that the sampler would do something to eliminate dead silence at the beginning of the note.  And while we've seen this sampler demonstrated in a few videos now, it would be nice to see it demo'ed with a musical sound and the keyboard player seriously playing some music, with chords, on it.  All I've seen are "parlor tricks" where someone saying a word is recorded and played throughout the keyboard for comical sounds, or this video where just a few notes are played after the sampling is done.  Let's see some sampled orchestra or choir sounds to see if we can get more realistic sounds of those types using this feature!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:43:21 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 01:40:35 PM »
That's a drawback of this simple type of sampling-- the sample playback is sped up or slowed down to get different frequencies.

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »
To my ears the Live! Grand Piano sounds better than the regular Grand Piano, I find that the sample is purer, clearer and witless less noise (less muddy).
Yes Ma'am, I quoted the default Grand Piano sample of E463, which sounds harsh to me.

The Live Grand Piano has not so harsh tingling sound, and it is somewhat better, but I wish it could be more refined than the sample in E463.  :)

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »
@Bob: he probably meant that the EW410 is the flagship of the PSR E series. 8)

@Bob and @Michael: As for the sampling functionality, as it is, it is nothing more than a gimmick and I doubt that someone could make serious music with it. Since the E463 has Audio USB In and Out, it could be more useful to use a fully-fledged virtual sampler on the computer or the iPad and control it from the keyboard, outputting the sound of the sampling software through the keyboard speakers. This would give a far better result.

@Anupam: technically I have no explanation because I am not a sound engineer, but I do like the Live! Grand Piano much better than the regular Grand Piano. The Natural! Grand Piano of the DGX 650/660 is even better.

Regards,

Vinciane

Practical Senses

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
@Bob: he probably meant that the EW410 is the flagship of the PSR E series. 8)

He literally said "It's a flagman model among the whole PSR series" :)
Pop-music makes a nice reviews, but sometimes makes a technical mistakes, for example they refused to understand that Kurzweil KP110 and Medeli M361 is the same keyboard under the different brands and lunched a "holly war" in comments under the video. Or maybe did it on purpose to increase sales :)

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »
Hi,

Don’t forget these reviews are written in Russian then translated into English. So maybe the problem is with the translation?

In the video about the PSR E463, in the English subtitles, they talked about the “BrightRock” style instead of the “BritRock” style (tailored-made to play “Clocks” by Coldplay, hence “Brit” for “British”)  ;D ;D ;D

Vinciane

Offline SciNote

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 08:07:35 AM »
Yes, the simple one-note sampling speeds up and slows down the sample to get different notes.  But it seems like it has a loop function so that the note can be set to keep sounding as long as you hold down the key -- at least, that's how I interpret it.  So, I would think that certain continuous sounds, like strings, choir, or organ, could be sampled in a musically useful way.  Yes, it is possible that the sound would not sound natural at the far ends of the keyboard since the sample is just being sped up or slowed down, but I would think that it could sound nice in the middle octave or two.  It would be nice to see how it could sound.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Practical Senses

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 04:30:32 PM »
Don’t forget these reviews are written in Russian then translated into English. So maybe the problem is with the translation?

I've watched this video in rus. language and translated this phrase for you themself ;)

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »
Well, in a way he's correct, since the PSR models are split into the PSR-E models and the PSR-S models, and Yamaha considers the PSR-EW410 to be the current "flagship" of the PSR-E models. If he said "a flagman model" rather than "the flagman model," then technically he's correct. ;)