Author Topic: Styles on USB stick  (Read 5151 times)

Offline Duurduur

Styles on USB stick
« on: July 17, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
I just bought a PSR-E463 and want to use external styles to load. So far it works but only when I put the styles in the root of an USB stick. Is it also possible to make maps with style categories like Latin,Rock, Blues, Ballad etc?
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

AnupamEnosh

Re: Styles on USB stick
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 03:21:15 PM »
You cannot load external style files to any specific preset category, but only USER category

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 07:48:28 PM »
Hi Durduur and welcome to the Forum.

It is a fact that the PSR E463 can read the files only in the Root directory. One way to work around this is to have different categories organised in different folders on the USB stick (like a Pop, Country, Jazz etc.), listen to the styles on your computer thanks to one of the applications from the main PSR Tutorial site (for instance MidiPlayer by Michael Bedesem) and copy the ones you would like to upload to the keyboard in the Root directory of the USB stick.

Another possibility is to have a cheap USB stick for each style category.

Hope this helps,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »
If the keyboard isn't displaying the style files unless they're in the root directory of the USB flash drive, then you won't be able to put them in any folders or subfolders (it sounds like you've already tried).

And even if you could organize them into named folders, you won't see the folder names when scrolling through the list-- and all of the external style files will be in the "User" category, as AnupamEnosh said.

But what you could do is rename the style files to prefix them with one or more extra characters to indicate which category you think they belong in, such as "R&B" or "CNT" or "6-8" or "BLU" or "RCK" or "WLZ" or whatever. Just keep in mind that the names are limited to 8 characters as far as how they're displayed on the panel screen; you can use longer names, but only the first eight characters will be visible onscreen. And the files will still be lumped together in the "User" category, but at least you'll be able to look at their names and know which category you think they belong in.

I also like Vinciane's idea of using multiple USB flash drives, one for each category-- possibly using sticks of different colors to represent the different categories.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »
Even when the files are in the root, I believe there is a limit on the number of files that the keyboard can 'see'.
Genos

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 09:39:01 PM »
Yes indeed.

If I remember correctly, on the PSR E433 it is 100 files. Should be the same for the PSR E463.

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 09:47:31 PM »
I believe that's correct, DerekA-- which is another good reason to organize the files on different USB flash drives, one category per flash drive, preferably smaller size drives (to avoid paying more for space you can't use), possibly color-coded for different categories.

Or, if you prefer to keep everything on a single flash drive, have the style files sorted into different folders and copy just the ones you want to use into the root directory as Vinciane suggested.

I'm not sure about the limit being 100 files, though-- that's the limit on User files, because they have a number in their name and the number must be 001 to 100. I think the limit might be something like 250 for style files-- unless that's for song files.

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 04:19:32 PM »
Thank you for all your answers. As explained in the manual (page 71) you can use a sub map in first/second level but only for songfiles. But only for song files I think.
I still have a lot of USB sticks to use for style files. Even one for every category.
Then all the 8 caracters are available for naming style.

Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem