Author Topic: Yamaha 512 MB Flash Board For TYROS4  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Mikk

Yamaha 512 MB Flash Board For TYROS4
« on: July 09, 2018, 10:48:35 AM »
Greetings.

I would like to hear only from members who have actually installed this memory expansion and whether you think it was worth while.

I am aware that it states one can import  wav files from a hard disk drive allowing you to create your own voices etc.
thank you,
Mike.
I Believe in the K.I.S.S. Principle.

There is no cloud. It is storage space
                     on someones computer.

Offline EileenL

Re: Yamaha 512 MB Flash Board For TYROS4
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »
I went for the One Gb board because I had quite a few voice and style packs as well as some of my own voices I created. You can soon use up 512 Gb.

The following users thanked this post: Mikk

Offline Mikk

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:42:08 PM »
thank you  Eileen. Have you had any problems with it?

on someones computer.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »
No none at all. I also put it into my tyros 5 when I changed keyboards and it worked fine with the YEM.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:20:01 PM »
Like Eileen, I also have the 1 GB memory expansion installed in my Tyros 4 and have had no problems with it whatsoever, Mike.  I installed it when I purchased my Tyros 4 almost 5 years ago.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Mikk

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 11:27:53 PM »
Thank you  Roger.

Amazon.com are selling them, but I am hesitant  to buy from them.
they are charging $297 for Postage to NZ.
will try to get one locally.

on someones computer.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:45:41 PM »
The first thing that you need to ask is "do I need an expansion memory module"?

On Tyros 4 an expansion module is only used to store any new external wave samples that are used to make a custom wave voice, and there is no alternative to installing expansion memory to use these.  The module is not required for style, registrations, MIDI or audio songs!

Note that on a Tyros4 you can also make custom voices just from the wave samples that are already included in the keyboard's sample ROM, and you do not require an expansion module to make and store these.

Styles from any source (even Yamaha Premium Packs) do not require expansion memory, although in the latter case, styles included in Yamaha Premium Packs may use expansion voices contained in the pack, and so would require expansion memory to load these voices!

If after reading the above, you decide that you do need expansion memory, the only problem that you are likely to have with the Yamaha FL512M (apart from maybe regretting later that you did not get a module with more memory), is when you realise that you could have bought a Mutec equivalent (FMC-05) for £75 (GBP) less!

Similarly the larger Mutec FMC-06 equivalent to the Yamaha FL1024M (1 GB) module is £90 GBP less that what Yamaha ask for their product.  I have had a Mutec FMC-06 fitted to my T4 for 7 years without problems.

Finally, be aware that flash expansion memory management on the Tyros4 is considerably more restrictive than on the Tyros5 and other keyboard's that use the YEM system.  The T4 OS imposes limits on various parameters associated with custom wave expansion voices, the most troublesome being the so called 'Wave Count'.  These limits can lead to you being unable to load further large Yamaha Premium Voice packs even though there is sufficient empty memory available on the expansion board for the pack!  BTW trying to get sensible information prior to purchase from the Yamaha MusicSoft website about the requirements for these parameters for specific Yamaha Premium Packs is like trying to get blood from a stone!  :'( 

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Mikk

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 05:25:49 AM »
Thank You Ian,
That was very informative and helped me a lot.
So far I am unable to find a  Mutec FMC-06 for sale anywhere in New Zealand.
Just got to check 2 more NZ computer companies.

I see there is a  FMC-07 available  2Gb  from

https://www.thomann.de/intl/mutec_fmc_07.htm

Will check to see if they deliver to NZ.

regards,
Mike.

on someones computer.

Offline poinsot

Offline Mikk

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »
Bonjour ...un autre lien ...Bonne journée Jean Pierre

https://www.musicstore.de/fr_FR/EUR/Mutec-FMC-06-1024MB-FlashROM-Expansion-pour-Yamaha/art-SYN0003906-000?campaign=PSM/audiofanzine

thank you Jean, for the link.
My french is not good.
did you say

"hello... good morning... good afternoon... have good day...regards Jean Pierre."

de meme pour vous  remercie, Mikey
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:30:00 AM by Mikk »

on someones computer.

Offline Mikk

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »
thank you all for your input. I have decided not to buy the expansion board.  I  am a bit greedy and feel I need more and different sounds/ waves etc but   It is not a need but a want. I have so many sounds in form of wave files midis mp3s kar etc that I can put  into various keyboards to do what the expansion board does.

worked it out that if I tried every individual file say 10 min on each file , 50 a day  7 days a week it would take me about 60 years to go through them all.
It ain't  gonna happen.
all the best to you all,
Mike.

on someones computer.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »
The expansion board will let you use totally different voices to what you have on your keyboard as well as some styles and multi pads. It has nothing to do with Midi's or Karaoke files. It allows you to sit and play different voices which of course you can save into registration banks.

Online pieterpan

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »
Mike,

In the Netherlands you can buy a brandnew Yamaha 1 Gb module for 149 €

Interesting?

https://www.oostendorp-muziek.nl/accessoires/geheugen-en-usb-sticks/yamaha-fl1024m/

Regards <> Piet
Yamaha Tyros 4 - Yamaha KX 25 - Gem WSII module