Author Topic: Name that tune(s)  (Read 5537 times)

whataguy

Name that tune(s)
« on: July 08, 2018, 01:57:03 AM »
Peter Baartmans Genos demo in Ostendorp, Nov. 2017 play a couple of songs beginning approximately at the 26:30 mark and it's driving me crazy trying to come up with the names of these two songs. If anyone has the inclination to seek this out and come up with the titles it would really be helpful. On the subject of Peter, has anyone ever heard anyone better than this guy. He is, in my opinion probably this most talented musician ever. In an earlier lifetime I sold Lowrey organs (beginning in the tube organ era) and when we went into transistors and beyond I can't tell you how many people bought the organ based on my demo. I bought th BUT, in spite of the degree of success I experienced,  NO WAY could I come anywhere near what this man can do. He has raised the bar to such a level that I hope to live long enough to experience it. I purchased three workstations T4, T5, and the Genos mainly because of his demo. Don in MI

Offline mikf

Re: Name that tune(s)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 06:21:28 AM »
There are tons pf Baartmans videos out there, so I think you re going to pin the one you are talking about down a bit more than 'Ostendorp, Nov 2017' if we are to find it. Posting the link would be best.
BTW, - Baartmans is a nice player, but neither more or less than I would expect from Yamaha's main demo person in Europe.
Mike

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 02:41:08 PM »
Peter Baartmans Genos demo in Ostendorp.

He is, in my opinion probably this most talented musician ever.

NO WAY could I come anywhere near what this man can do. He has raised the bar to such a level that I hope to live long enough to experience it. I purchased three workstations T4, T5, and the Genos mainly because of his demo. Don in MI

Don,

Maybe it would be useful to search for other keyboardists and pianists and to then listen
 to them profoundly.

There are better musicians out there. A short list would include Jordan Rudess, Joe Zawunul,
Herbie Hancock, George Duke, Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Lonnie Liston Smith, Booker T. Jones,
Jan Hammer, Steve Winwood, Rick Wright, Chick Corea, Jon Lord, etc.

If one would search on google for the world's best keyboard players, Baartmans would not
appear to be one of them.

It doesn't mean that he's bad, but there are much, much better musicians out there.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:54:48 PM by Pianoman »

whataguy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:37:03 PM »
Thank you to both Mike and Abby for the heads up on those names, many of which I recognize and concur. What I was alluding to was Peter's abitility to take on the personality and individuality of each different instrument, especially the solo ones. How often I would hear really good keyboardists try to play a chord on a sax or an oboe, doesn't fly. As a keyboard player Peter could probably just hold his own but as an instrumentalist, I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone to be his equal. He possesses the ability to capture the individuality, characteristics of just about every instrument. Example being, you could make an  old Yamaha E series organ sound similar to a B3, but a Hammond is and will always be a great flute organ. By the way many of the names you listed are truly great musicians, especially my favorite, Herbert H. And Mike, as far as adding an attachment of the clip I was referring to, I don't know how to do that and I'm too old and stupid to learn how to. Isn't the date and location and time on the segment enough info? Thanks again . . . Don in MI

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 07:45:54 PM »
I believe this is the presentaion Don is talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QS_1AfHptw

I also think Don was referring to musicians that play a keyboard like those we use and not pianists,organ players,composers etc. :)

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 09:15:34 PM »
If this is the correct video, then I listened from the 26.30 mark and did not recognize the songs, other than he sings a snippet of the Jim Reeves song "He'll have to go". I suspect they may not be real 'songs' at all, but just him messing around some chord sequences to demonstrate the sounds. At least it sounds like me when I do that  :D Of course I do not speak dutch so cannot tell if he is giving more information.
In order to post a link, you will see a number of icons at the top when you post a reply, and if you slide over them they describe their function. The one with the world and the note is the way to post a hyperlink. So you copy the address from the top of the website, then when you type the reply click on the hyperlink icon at the place you want to place it, and do a paste and the address will appear in your reply as a live link. Its normally very simple, but a bit more difficult for a utube video and to difficult to describe here. But you can get full instructions if you post the question on google ' how to get a utube video address'.

Mike   

whataguy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 09:25:38 PM »
Thanks M. I'll give it a go. D.