Author Topic: Saving files  (Read 5499 times)

Offline raywil77

Saving files
« on: July 07, 2018, 10:05:06 AM »
Can you tell me if the user tab is now the place to save everything like a hard drive, thanks

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Saving files
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »
Can you tell me if the user tab is now the place to save everything like a hard drive, thanks

It’s your choice. It’s where I save my files, but others use USB drives.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: raywil77

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
The User drive has now taken the place of a hard drive so if you are used to keeping everything on your keyboard save it there. You can also fit a large USB stick to the underside Port and use as a Back Up. If you want to use the extra Playlists these need to be on a USB stick.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 04:59:54 PM »
I do not use the user drive.  For me, everything is in USB drive. 

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »
So far, I  am using User Memory for everything, and USB sticks only for backups and file transfers.  Working great so far!
-Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
Yes Jim,
  I do the same. I don't know why people would not use the 56Gb of space now on used drive. Much easier to have everything to hand rather than keep putting USB sticks in.

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 02:13:36 PM »
... use the 56Gb of space now on used drive. Much easier to have everything to hand rather than keep putting USB sticks in.

Totally! I've relegated USB drives to back-up and file transfer. Still got about 40GB free...

All the best -- pj

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 02:36:43 PM »
I expect it's because on Tyros, the user drive consists of memory chips, the HDD is a hard disk, and the two things are quite separate. Genos has a single device which merges both these things together and calls it "User". So it's just a case of redefining what User actually means now.
Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 03:46:10 PM »
Yes Jim,
  I do the same. I don't know why people would not use the 56Gb of space now on used drive.

Much easier to have everything to hand rather than keep putting USB sticks in.

1. Since Tyros 2 I have always preferred to have my working files on a USB stick in the top slot (not one that's locked away!)  It's a lot easier for transferring files to and from computer, make rapid backups to computer, and when needed use critical files like registrations straightaway on another Tyros or Genos,  including after  a new purchase. I still use the Gemos User drive for storage when experimenting with new ideas and setups.

2. "Much easier to have everything to hand rather than keep putting USB sticks in."
That is the well known technique of taking it to the absurd just to make your case  ;).
Routine sensible use would suggest 1 USB stick used in a similar way for files as a hard drive or Genos user drive, everything is still instantly to hand, except it's readily portable as above if you prefer it to be.
John
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 04:08:56 PM by jwyvern »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 05:36:01 PM »
Each to there own. When I go out playing I like to know everything is in one place and do not like to have USB sticks that can go walk about.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 10:24:26 PM »
Well, I do not use the user drive at all.   I use USB to keep all my registrations, external styles, external multipads, etc.   My recollection is that USB was the recommended way to go . . . .. at least i had that impression. 

In any event, how difficult it would be for me to move everything to the user drive ..  .?  is this a complicated task . . . ? i have about 250 registrations.  I am afraid to mess with it because so far it is working fine.

thanks 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana