Author Topic: How To Turn Off Midi and Audio Buttons?  (Read 7956 times)

Reg

How To Turn Off Midi and Audio Buttons?
« on: June 29, 2018, 06:26:58 PM »
 The midi and audio buttons  on the main screen are active on my Genos.  How do I turn them off?  Thank you. Reg

Offline pjd

Re: How To Turn Off Midi and Audio Buttons?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 03:02:05 PM »
Hi Reg --

If you're referring to the Home Shortcuts at the bottom of the home screen, then please check out Chapter 8 in the Genos Owner's Manual, "Customizing for Optimum Performance". The first section deals with "Customizing the Shortcuts on the Home Display", page 100.

You might also want to check out Chapter 11 in the Genos Reference Manual, "Assigning Specific Functions to the Pedals and Panel Buttons (Assignable)" for more ideas about customizing your workflow.

Hope this helps -- pj

Reg

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »
    I was referring to the midi and audio buttons on the left side of the Genos.  The buttons are both active(blue light).   How do I turn them off  so they are not lit?
                                                                                       Thanks, Reg

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »
    I was referring to the midi and audio buttons on the left side of the Genos.  The buttons are both active(blue light).   How do I turn them off  so they are not lit?
                                                                                       Thanks, Reg

Which buttons? Play? Stop? A? B?

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
                                                                                       Thanks, Reg

Hi Reg,

I think I now know what you meant - you want the Play/Pause buttons of SONG A and SONG B not lit up as shown in the following photo (please note that the "Song A" and "Song B" portion of my Genos home screen are both empty):

Your Play/Pause buttons of SONG A and SONG B are lit up because you currently loaded up a registration which calls up 2 songs.  When you restart your Genos, the last loaded registration gets loaded up as well, which calls up the 2 songs and gets your Song Play/Pause buttons lit up as well.  To turn off the Song Play/Pause buttons, you have to load a registration that does not call up any MIDI or audio songs, then restart your Genos.  Then your Song Play/Pause buttons will not be active/lit up.  I created a Voice_Combo registration that sets up some useful voices with no MIDI or Audio songs for startup purpose.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:45:39 PM by zionip »

Reg

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 01:55:14 AM »
  Thank you Paul.  You defined the problem and solution exactly. Reg

khudson7

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 01:51:06 PM »
So Paul,
Once a song is in the song player, there is no way to take it out, without turning off Genos and then on again?

I have 2 Registrations, one is a Blank Registration which is saved and I use it start a new registration(and it is saved without a song in it).  I have another which defaults to a Piano sound with no song saved in it. 

Whenever I do use a Registration that uses a midi file, that midi file is in the Song Player, even when I switch to one of the above Registrations which do not have a song related to them.  So the only way to clear out the Song Player then, is to re-start Genos with a Registration that does not have a song related to it?

Is that correct?  Or am I missing something here.

Regards,
Ken

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 03:36:03 PM »
So Paul,
Once a song is in the song player, there is no way to take it out, without turning off Genos and then on again?

I have 2 Registrations, one is a Blank Registration which is saved and I use it start a new registration(and it is saved without a song in it).  I have another which defaults to a Piano sound with no song saved in it. 

Whenever I do use a Registration that uses a midi file, that midi file is in the Song Player, even when I switch to one of the above Registrations which do not have a song related to them.  So the only way to clear out the Song Player then, is to re-start Genos with a Registration that does not have a song related to it?

Is that correct?  Or am I missing something here.

Regards,
Ken

Hi Ken,

You are not missing something - you described it correctly.

If you load up a song either through a registration or directly selecting the song, the song playback button is lit, and the song name shows up at the Home screen.  If you then load up a registration without a song in it, the song button (audio/MIDI song playback button) is still lit, and the song name still shows on the Home screen.  Then when you power off Genos, and power it back up, the song playback button does not lit, and the song(s) on the Home screen is/are cleared, with your last loaded registration without a song in it still loaded.

At least the above is the experiment I did to discover how to clear the songs on the Home screen, or how to 'unlit' the song playback button(s).  I have not found another way to clear the songs at the Home screen without rebooting Genos.  If you can find another way of clearing the songs at the Home screen without rebooting Genos, please let me know.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 08:39:27 PM »
I often leave a registration linked to songs loaded when I switch off but have not found the song buttons active after simply switching on. You have to additionally press one of the linked reg buttons to cause that to happen.

If the player buttons are persistently lit they can be cleared:
For midi-- Push the recording button and select Midi quick or multi. The light goes off so now exit from those screens.
For Audio- push the adjacent Prev button a few times (usually 3) and the Play light goes out.

John

khudson7

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 10:17:21 PM »
Thanks John,
I did get the light to go out for a midi loaded song using your suggestion.  GREAT and thanks, that is very helpful and a really neat trick.

However, your suggestion for audio files, did not seem to work for me.  On the song player list screen, hitting the Previous button several times, just seems to go backward up the list of my mp3 files, when it reaches the top it loops back to the bottom and keeps going backward. ( In my case I was trying to get the light to go out in the B song side, not sure if that had anything to do with it).  So the light did not go out for a mp3 file that was loaded. 

For me, the majority of songs I use are midi files so your first suggestion was really helpful for me.
If you have any other suggestions for audio files, that would be great, also.

Regards,
Ken

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:20:42 PM by khudson7 »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 10:56:06 PM »
Ken,
It happens that I have an empty Audio file saved a couple of positions up from the genuine file that was loaded, so when the Prev. Button reaches that and tries to load it the audio light goes out. Also, if I try to load that file directly the light also goes out (and I get an error message complaining the file format is not correct). So an alternative method might be for you to go to record an audio file (but don't play any notes! ) and save it so you can load it any time you need to turn off the audio light.
But I can't see that leaving the light on is particularly limiting for audio as it seems you can carry out all needed  operations  (or does it cause a problem?) and in any case it should naturally disappear after the next power on as explained in my previous post.
John
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:58:01 PM by jwyvern »

khudson7

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
Thanks again, John,
I will try that with the audio files.  Sounds like it would work.

I know it may seem a bit trivial as to whether this light is on or off as it does not limit any of the functionality but for me, this has caused a few problems.  (First off, I am still new at this, only had the Genos for a short while), but it has caused the following problems for me:

1.  I was originally told, when saving a registration, and it shows all the check boxes to select, that if you are unsure, just check them all.  So now I have a bunch of saved registration banks that load up a style(and the unrelated song that happened to be loaded at save time, even though the registration bank is playing from a style(not a song).  I am having to now go back and slowly update those registration banks to get that song out, from showing on the home page if that bank is style related.

2.  As the amount of banks I have saved, is growing rapidly, It is much easier for me when looking at the home screen to remind me that this tune is a style if the song box is blank, or a song, if there is an actual related song in the song box of the home page.

I know this is my(beginner type) error and it has become a learning process for me when saving a bank. Since for me at this point, most of the banks I have saved, are related to a style or midi file, your first suggestion is helping me clean up what is displayed on the home screen for my banks.

Thanks again for your help,
Ken
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:30:01 PM by khudson7 »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 06:40:56 PM »

I was originally told, when saving a registration, and it shows all the check boxes to select, that if you are unsure, just check them all.

At least you didn’t get this from me. As I say in my videos, treat registrations on a need to know basis. Check only the boxes that the registration needs to know.

If you have a bunch of registrations to fix, use Murray Best’s Registration Manager. It can fix a batch of registrations in one go.

Cheers,
Fref
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons