Author Topic: Tweaking my drums.....  (Read 3569 times)

Offline mgbchuck

Tweaking my drums.....
« on: June 27, 2018, 03:01:21 AM »
Howdy...... just curious....... does anyone else out there find the drums to be too weak on most styles.  I always seems to bring the drum volume up most of the time.  Many times I bring it up to 127 volume....and it is still not dominant enough.  I then bring up the entire style volume.... and then bring down the other instruments.  I have listen to hours of YouTube videos of Peter Bartmann on headphones.....and his drums sound great.....really present...... not overpowering..... but provide a really present rhythm.  I don’t like loud drums......dealt with too many crazy loud drummers for 40 years. However..... I want the drums to be “ there”.  Anyone else have this problem.... or is it just me. Just curious ......what your volume settings? 
Thanks for your help...... Chuck Lyons

Offline EileenL

Re: Tweaking my drums.....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »
Try altering the EQ settings or alter the DSP settings on the drums.

Seagull29

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
Hello, you can try to modify velocity in Drums voices.

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »
Try altering the EQ settings or alter the DSP settings on the drums.

This is great advice. Thank you, Eileen!

Many of the DSP effect types (algorithms) have EQ bass and treble parameters. If you just want to tweak EQ on the drums specifically, check out the DSP effect inserted on the drum part. You may be able to tweak EQ there, and not have to touch the master EQ.

All the best -- pj

Offline MillKa

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 12:27:23 AM »
.. and here is another thing to try ..

On Genos: Menu / Menu2 / Style Setting / Setting / Dynamics Control, Reference manual page 11.
On Tyros5: Function / Style Settings / Tab Style Setting / Style Touch, Reference manual page 29.

If this parameter is OFF, the style plays its fixed volume.
If it is ON, the styles volume follows your left hand playing strength.
Martin makes noises on Yamaha Genos, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; previously Yamaha PSR-S950, Technics SX-GX7, Yamaha DX-7, Roland MT-32