Author Topic: PSR S custom midi files from multitrack audio recordings  (Read 11262 times)

PSR S custom midi files from multitrack audio recordings
« on: June 18, 2018, 01:40:58 AM »
Please help me. I have some songs on audio format (Multitrack audio recording) that I want to have as a midi files on my PSR S970 and I know how to sequence a song but I don’t have time to do that, it’s there a web site that offers this service? Because on Yamaha Musicsoft or midi spot web site there is only midi files of well-known songs.

Offline EileenL

Re: PSR S custom midi files from multitrack audio recordings
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:22:58 AM »
You can not change Audio to Midi but if they are wave files they will play on your 970 Ok.

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 07:42:00 AM »
Thank you! But I need a person who listen to the wave files to create then a midi file of the entire song. Sorry for my bad english, I’m still learning. 

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 06:32:01 PM »
https://youtu.be/c1Zkznqs-f8

This might help. 
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »
I don't think any of these programs yet are able to recognize notes and have at least a decent result.
If any program could do it, it would be very popular and we have known about it.
Never saw a single video on Youtube with a whole song and not just few notes.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:05:02 PM »
I’m waiting for a new audio to midi service with IA but I dont see any news about it on the creators web site.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
Audio and midi are two different animals. Midi is just a set of instructions telling it what to play from your keyboard. No actual voices to hear. Audio records sounds and no info is generated. It is practically impossible to convert Audio to Midi.

Offline sd isaac

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »
Very true..as Eileen mentioned. You can't convert Audio to MIDI. If one could do that..it's a new science in music world!!

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 03:33:33 PM »
Audio and midi are two different animals. Midi is just a set of instructions telling it what to play from your keyboard. No actual voices to hear. Audio records sounds and no info is generated. It is practically impossible to convert Audio to Midi.

You don’t think that will be possible with AI technology?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:35:21 PM by rodrigo.b »

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »
Very true..as Eileen mentioned. You can't convert Audio to MIDI. If one could do that..it's a new science in music world!!

https://phonicmind.com/audio-to-midi/

Offline andyg

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 11:36:46 PM »
Whatever manufacturers may promise (and believe me they've promised it many, many times over the years) audio to MIDI for anything other than a single note melody, perfectly played, is still a myth.

As for people offering transcription from audio to notation/MIDI, there are people out there who will do it. It takes years of training and experience to do this well, so they usually charge a lot for doing so. I'd charge £40 / $60 per hour minimum for a basic result of a lead sheet type score and a creating a very basic MIDI file from it.

It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Online Joe H

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 12:18:42 AM »

You don’t think that will be possible with AI technology?

No. It is not possible even with AI at this time.  If the multi track audio were available to you (not 2 track stereo) then maybe it could be done with some time and effort... one track at a time.

I think there is some false expectations about what digital technology can or will be able to do.  I know virtual reality is very impressive.  You know there is voice recognition software that works for a single voice (it must learn that person's voice), but there is still no software that can identify multiple human voices, sort them out and make a reliable transcription for even a handful of people. Then there is facial recognition software that is becoming more reliable.

If there is any possibility of making a MIDI file from a multi track audio recording, it will be a very long time coming.  It would require the ability of recognizing the sound of many acoustic, electric and electronic synth sounds, recognize Pitch Bend and both amplitude and filter modulation, recognize time signatures and key signatures as well.  Then the AI would have to have full knowledge of the entire MIDI Specification to map the interpreted audio sounds to MIDI. This would include Bank Select and Program Change for a specific keyboard or sound module... MIDI Volume, Note Velocity, Note Gate time, Pitch Bend, real-time Filter and Pan sweeps, system exclusive strings and data formats for many manufacturers where sysex is used to program DSPs and other special parameters etc.

If it is possible one day... it won't be any time soon.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:23:24 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline andyg

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 07:47:55 PM »
..It would require the ability of recognizing the sound of many acoustic, electric and electronic synth sounds, recognize Pitch Bend and both amplitude and filter modulation, recognize time signatures and key signatures as well.  Then the AI would have to have full knowledge of the entire MIDI Specification to map the interpreted audio sounds to MIDI. This would include Bank Select and Program Change for a specific keyboard or sound module... MIDI Volume, Note Velocity, Note Gate time, Pitch Bend, real-time Filter and Pan sweeps, system exclusive strings and data formats for many manufacturers where sysex is used to program DSPs and other special parameters etc.
And more than that, it would have be able to distinguish every instrument being used and carry out these operations - simultaneously!

Trust us, it just ain't gonna happen. Not now, not soon, perhaps never!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 10:55:08 PM »
But it is a sweet dream!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline pjd

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »
Hi --

Right now, it seems like the best people can do is to separate a track into drums + vocal + everything else. Example: Audionamix XTRAX STEMS. It's a neural net-based system that produces OK results, although there are still plenty of sonic artifacts in the individual stems (i.e., extracted tracks). It still gets faked out quite often and maybe the sax is heard in the vocal stem. Separation of bass and kick is often an issue, too.

There is on-going research into music analysis/extraction. Check out IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio Speech and Language Processing or the International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing. Be prepared to brave serious mathematics!

If you want to experiment, try Melodyne:

http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc2-content/filtermelodynestudio4/en/m4_tutorial_audio_midi_in_the_mix.html

Please note how much prep work is necessary to extract and convert a few musical phrases. Melodyne is a good tool, but it is far from an automatic audio music to MIDI translation tool.

All the best -- pj

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 06:11:24 PM »
Thank you for all the comments, I have all the audio tracks (Not only a Stereo Track of the song). But I don't have time to make the midi file  :(

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 02:20:25 AM »
Rodrigo, I have attempted what you are asking only once. The result is linked to.
It's an instrumental I loved many years ago, performed by The Shadows but I couldn't find a midi for it.
I sat down with my Daw and input every note with a mouse into a piano roll sheet.
This took me three weeks to finally tweak it into something bearable but it still sounds like very poor Midi to me.

I'll never do it again and other people who know how time consuming it is are very unlikely to take you up on your offer ;)

https://soundcloud.com/gary-leishman/stars-fell-on-stockton

Offline pjd

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »
Hi --

Another tool to try is Neuraton AudioScore. The "Lite" version is sometimes bundled with another application like Avid Sibelius.

Still, a long way from automated conversion...  :(

-- pj

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 04:26:38 PM »
Rodrigo, I have attempted what you are asking only once. The result is linked to.
It's an instrumental I loved many years ago, performed by The Shadows but I couldn't find a midi for it.
I sat down with my Daw and input every note with a mouse into a piano roll sheet.
This took me three weeks to finally tweak it into something bearable but it still sounds like very poor Midi to me.

I'll never do it again and other people who know how time consuming it is are very unlikely to take you up on your offer ;)

https://soundcloud.com/gary-leishman/stars-fell-on-stockton

Sorry, I Don’t understand, that means if I pay you, you can make the midi file for me? :) , What keyboard do you have?

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »
Sorry, I Don’t understand, that means if I pay you, you can make the midi file for me? :) , What keyboard do you have?

No, sorry. It would be too time consuming. Money doesn't come into it.

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »
Please I will appreciate a lot if some one can help me to find a custom midi file service or something like that, beacuse I don't have time to produce a midi file, and also I have some health problems, so for the moment, producing midi file its more difficult for me.